Why do I have to pay for society's screw-ups?

Think what it does to the nation's health bill (insurance premiums, medicare/medicaid costs) that there are lots of super-fat people who have never seen the inside of a gym.

About 150 years ago, doctors began to notice that it was smokers who were much more likely to get lung cancer.

How many druggies and drunks don't bother to pay for health insurance?

How many don't care what they eat, as long as it tastes good? Someone said in that department, americans are walking garbage cans.

How many gays think it's their constitutional right to screw each other w/o protection, and it's the taxpayer who must bail them out by paying for their meds plus zillions of dollars in research on the disease?

This extends of course beyond health related issues.

How many people have worked in maufacturing, not seen the handwriting on the wall for decades that their job will be exported, and don't train themselves for something new, but just go on the public dole when their job finally disappears? Or they stupidly demand government tariffs or the like?

How many mothers with children have to get welfare because the mother made an obviously stupid choice in getting pregnant and then dumped by some creep?

How many geezers didn't provide for their old-age, thinking medicare/social security is supposed to be their retirement plan?

because politicians realize that screw ups and fat lazy losers tend to have tons of votes and those politicians by the votes of the screw ups, the slackers, the parasites and the sloths with your money. If votes were allocated proportionate to your tax bill, politicians would not be catering to the public tit suckers

I've seen tons of stuff contradicting your claims, but I'll let you tutor yourself. It's easy:

Google nhs and horror story, national institute for clinical excellence and protest, nhs hospital conditions, nhs and sent home to die, etc etc etc. All you can stomach is just a few clicks away - read up.
I have a cousin with cancer who lives in Ottawa. She has had no problem scheduling procedures, tests, and treatment. I suspect delays in treatment are much like the the US. I just waited two months to see a dermatologist on my insurance plan and three months for a colonoscopy.

First, my best wishes for a recovery to your cousin. My uncle just got a colonoscopy two months ago - got an appointment within a week. I've heard lots of storeis of canadians not waiting for treatment and instead heading for the US, because when something is really wrong, time matters.
I had a discussion with my doctor some time ago about the time it took to get some procedures done. He said that healthcare everywhere is moving to a triage approach similar to what we have in emergency rooms. If a cancer is suspected or heart problem, you will have diagnostic testing within a few days but most medical problems that are just annoying and not serious, you may have to wait a bit. Quite often the body heals itself before the medical care is delivered. BTW, delaying non-critical treatment can result in big healthcare savings. Granted, it can be annoying but it can save a lot of money. Remember, if you can get medical service on demand, that service is probably underutilized which means it's expensive to operate.

Last edited:
I have a cousin with cancer who lives in Ottawa. She has had no problem scheduling procedures, tests, and treatment. I suspect delays in treatment are much like the the US. I just waited two months to see a dermatologist on my insurance plan and three months for a colonoscopy.

First, my best wishes for a recovery to your cousin. My uncle just got a colonoscopy two months ago - got an appointment within a week. I've heard lots of storeis of canadians not waiting for treatment and instead heading for the US, because when something is really wrong, time matters.
I had a discussion with my doctor some time ago about the time it took to get some procedures done. He said that healthcare everywhere is moving to a triage approach similar to what we have in emergency rooms. If a cancer is suspected or heart problem, you will have diagnostic testing within a few days but most medical problems that are just annoying and not serious, you may have to wait a bit. Quite often the body heals itself before the medical care is delivered. BTW, delaying non-critical treatment can result in big healthcare savings. Granted, it can be annoying but it can save a lot of money. Remember, if you can get medical service on demand, that service is probably underutilized which means it's expensive to operate.

One problem I can think of with this approach is that many symptoms are ambiguous - they may represent a trivial condition or a very serious one, and only tests can tell the difference.

One problem I can think of with this approach is that many symptoms are ambiguous - they may represent a trivial condition or a very serious one, and only tests can tell the difference.
That's true but that's why we have doctors. They assess the likelihood of a set of symptoms being a serious problem. Given time the body usually heals itself. If it doesn't then diagnostic tests are called for. You can't do a CT Scan for every patient with a cough or a cranial MRI for every headache.

Last edited:
Why do I have to pay for society's screw-ups?

I don’t like paying for the mess the GOP made of the economy any more than you, but we’ve all got to pitch in.

We need to increase the retirement age to bring it closer to the increase in life expectancy. That should solve the social security problem, however it will create another problem, more people in the workforce pursuing jobs.

Unfortunately there are many labor-intensive and like jobs where the human body simply can’t sustain that lever of effort at or about 65, in many occupations younger than that.

That's true but that's why we have doctors. They assess the likelihood of a set of symptoms being a serious problem. Given time the body usually heals itself. If it doesn't then diagnostic tests are called for. You can't do a CT Scan for every patient with a cough or a cranial MRI for every headache.

That bears on one of the real problems of the US medical system - defensive medicine. Doctors prescribe more tests to protect themselves from predatory tort lawyers.

Infinite? :cool:

Solid foundation for your argument, really.

Not clear what your complaint is.

No one is advocating for society to support infinite toleration of screw ups. Yet, you seem to want to argue against that point.

Just for clarity, I am using the word "infinite" in the sense of not finite, meaning with no established limit. There is indeed no limit ipso facto for the mandate of cure and/or care of people who irresponsibly trash their health and take known risks with it: smoking, being obese, refusing to exercize, engaging in unprotected sex or needle-sharing in the illegal drug culture.

Not clear what your complaint is.

No one is advocating for society to support infinite toleration of screw ups. Yet, you seem to want to argue against that point.

Just for clarity, I am using the word "infinite" in the sense of not finite, meaning with no established limit. There is indeed no limit ipso facto for the mandate of cure and/or care of people who irresponsibly trash their health and take known risks with it: smoking, being obese, refusing to exercize, engaging in unprotected sex or needle-sharing in the illegal drug culture.
That's very judgemental. You know what I call unrealistic expectations?......resentments waiting to happen. Untill humans come into this world perfect every time...you're going to have smokers, drinkers, addicts, obese people, and so on. It's not always irresponsibilty that leads people into these states, and judging/hating them is pointless in the grand scheme.

One time I counseled a 19 year old heroine addict who's first memory in life was when his addict prostitute mother shot him up with heroin at the age of six, on a dare from this biker who was her john. After she didn it, he got to see the biker stab his Mom. His life got worse from there, and I was the person the police called when they found him floating face down in the river with a hypodermic needle still sticking out of his arm. Some people just haven't been given the strength to be responsible.

Sorry for the gore.....but after my years of counseling people like this, I have developed understanding.

That's very judgemental. You know what I call unrealistic expectations?......resentments waiting to happen. Untill humans come into this world perfect every time...you're going to have smokers, drinkers, addicts, obese people, and so on. It's not always irresponsibilty that leads people into these states, and judging/hating them is pointless in the grand scheme.

One of the things this country NEEDS is more judgement - the idea that people can do things that cause great harm to themselves and others, and that no disapproval is supposed to attach to it is what's destroying this country. I'm supposed to believe that it's OK for people to be irresponsible, that everyone is just a helpless victim of their own idiot instincts unrestrained by their reason, and that's just the way it is. Bullshit.

But my comments had nothing to do with "judgement", but rather that the irresponsible actions of some are a big engine behind the large costs in the US health system, and indirectly the imminent decline of it into a brute foirce rationed system, and also the political accession of the leftwing for the first time in 65 years.

One time I counseled a 19 year old heroine addict who's first memory in life was when his addict prostitute mother shot him up with heroin at the age of six, on a dare from this biker who was her john. After she didn it, he got to see the biker stab his Mom. His life got worse from there, and I was the person the police called when they found him floating face down in the river with a hypodermic needle still sticking out of his arm. Some people just haven't been given the strength to be responsible.

Sorry for the gore.....but after my years of counseling people like this, I have developed understanding.

I believe that society should take care of children in bad situations. But I don't need to be lectured about people in difficult situations. I come from an extremely poor socioeconomic background, and experienced many of the typical consequences of that (which I don't care to go into.) I've been there and done that, but I always tried to do what was right and expected of me, worked hard, stayed away from hard illegal drugs, went to school, and played by the rules, and got out of it. As a consequence, I'm a hard sell in trying to make me believe that people are helpless victims of their environment.

Beyond that, there are all kinds of privileged middle class people who trash their health.

Last edited:
I believe that society should take care of children in bad situations. But I don't need to be lectured about people in difficult situations. I come from an extremely poor socioeconomic background, and experienced many of the typical consequences of that (which I don't care to go into.) I've been there and done that, but I always tried to do what was right and expected of me, worked hard, stayed away from hard illegal drugs, went to school, and played by the rules, and got out of it. As a consequence, I'm a hard sell in trying to make me believe that people are helpless victims of their environment.

Beyond that, there are all kinds of privileged middle class people who trash their health.
I'm not expecting to affect your position of intolerance by relating my experiences. Ex smokers, people who've lost alot of weight, etc....tend to be the least tolerant of others who still smoke or are obese. A healthy attitude is one of compassion and understanding for those who share your shortcomings if you have overcome them.

As for privilieged middle class people who have shortcomings...the percentage of people who can't quit drugs/alchohol, or lose weight, is spread evenly amongst the socioeconomic classes. While I applaud your staying in school and working hard, I don't think it's a good reson to be so judgemental. If anything...because it's not Christian.

I dealt with a thousand people who didn't understand the mind of people who can't lose weight, or quit substance abuse, during my years of counseling. Judgemental relatives. Non addicts/alchoholics. New doctors and nurses who hadn't had experience with addicts/alchoholics. I'm not trying to belittle you, or assert you're not smart enough to grasp what I do. It's just that if you were able to resist drugs after starting to use, and not let it make you powerless over your life....you shouldn't be expected to understand how some people just can't be like you.

The world ain't perfect....never will be....and it sounds like you're putting down everyone who isn't. I'm a hard sell in trying to make me believe that some people, who are not like you, have experienced environments and physiologies that make being perfect infinitly harder than it was for you.

Last edited:

I'm not expecting to affect your position of intolerance by relating my experiences. Ex smokers, people who've lost alot of weight, etc....tend to be the least tolerant of others who still smoke or are obese. A healthy attitude is one of compassion and understanding for those who share your shortcomings if you have overcome them.

As for privilieged middle class people who have shortcomings...the percentage of people who can't quit drugs/alchohol, or lose weight, is spread evenly amongst the socioeconomic classes. While I applaud your staying in school and working hard, I don't think it's a good reson to be so judgemental. If anything...because it's not Christian.

I dealt with a thousand people who didn't understand the mind of people who can't lose weight, or quit substance abuse, during my years of counseling. Judgemental relatives. Non addicts/alchoholics. New doctors and nurses who hadn't had experience with addicts/alchoholics. I'm not trying to belittle you, or assert you're not smart enough to grasp what I do. It's just that if you were able to resist drugs after starting to use, and not let it make you powerless over your life....you shouldn't be expected to understand how some people just can't be like you.

The world ain't perfect....never will be....and it sounds like you're putting down everyone who isn't. I'm a hard sell in trying to make me believe that some people, who are not like you, have experienced environments and physiologies that make being perfect infinitly harder than it was for you.

Like I implied, I overcame lots of king-sized difficulties, all of which as I said I don't want to go into. But to just give you a clue, after my older brother told his shrink the basic history of himself and his three siblings growing up, she shook her head and said "it's a wonder that all four of you didn't wind up dead, in prison, or in an insane asylum".

Think about that.

Yes, the world is imperfect - I'm the LAST one who will argue against that. Inspite of that, people need to carry on, improve their position, overcome obstacles, and not be a burden to others. The only addiction I really ever had was smoking. I had a pack a day habit when I was in my 20s, which when I was studying for General Exams in grad school morphed into a three pack a day habit. After Generals, I went cold turkey. Nobody who hasn't been in that exact situation can grasp what that means in terms of sheer, raw will power, but I permanently quit. (And you're right, I DID for a short while have all the self-righteousness of the reformed sinner. :D)

My bottom line is that I >>KNOW<< the sheer effort I've put into overcoming the imperfections of life, and I expect at least HALF of that, or 10% of that, from others.

Last edited:

Like I implied, I overcame lots of king-sized difficulties, all of which as I said I don't want to go into. But to just give you a clue, after my older brother told his shrink the basic history of himself and his three siblings growing up, she shook her head and said "it's a wonder that all four of you didn't wind up dead, in prison, or in an insane asylum".

Think about that.

Yes, the world is imperfect - I'm the LAST one who will argue against that. Inspite of that, people need to carry on, improve their position, overcome obstacles, and not be a burden to others. The only addiction I really ever had was smoking. I had a pack a day habit when I was in my 20s, which when I was studying for General Exams in grad school morphed into a three pack a day habit. After Generals, I went cold turkey. Nobody who hasn't been in that exact situation can grasp what that means in terms of sheer, raw will power, but I permanently quit. (And you're right, I DID for a short while have all the self-righteousness of the reformed sinner. :D)

My bottom line is that I >>KNOW<< the sheer effort I've put into overcoming the imperfections of life, and I expect at least HALF of that, or 10% of that, from others.
It's just too bad you're preocupied with judging those who lacked the amount of determination you have. That can't be fun to think that way.

My sister and I used to be drinking buddies, about 30 years ago. Now she's got 30 years sobriety, and I don't. I just take it or leave it. She got the drink bug. There but for the grace, and all that. It's funny how nobody says that anymore. "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Forum List

Back