Why do I feel weird about this?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
Please help me put another perspective into this, unless I am looking at it how I should be...

ok, here goes...

background: Tim and I are still friends with Tony & Renee, a guy and his wife that he worked with before changing companies back in Nov. They have a little girl about 2 months younger than Nathan, so they often get to play together, which is great. Plus Tony & Renee are lots of fun to hang with.

My mom is needing to sell her house, and likely has to move to an apartment, in which she needs to find a new home for her beautiful Siberian Husky, Buster. Tim and I would gladly take him, but because of the new baby, and the fact that Buster is a high-maintenence dog, it just isn't good timing. Plus I have always wanted a dog, and Buster is already trained for a home with little kids.

We mentioned this issue to Tony while Tim was telling him about an opening at the company where he works. Tony is interested in Buster, and we have made plans tonite to go visit Buster and Tony wants to take him for the weekend to see how he fits in with their other dog before deciding. My mom agrees with the idea, and is willing to do this.

Since I know more about Buster than Tim, Tony talked to me directly last night, and in that conversation we talked about our jobs, and how my last job was similar to where he is now, as far as atmosphere and backstabbing that goes on, and how he wants to leave, etc.

He then proceeds to ask me if I can keep a secret, even from Tim, etc. I thought he was just being casual or general about it, not meaning one thing in particular. So I said it depended on what the secret was and the terms that the person told me, and whether or not the secret is something that really should not be a secret because of its effects/affects on someone or many people.

He told me that he just wants someone to confide in and that I seemed like a person who he feels comfortable enough to do so. When he said this, I was more flattered, but felt kind of awkward because even though I know him pretty well, I don't feel I know him THAT well. But ok, if he needs someone to confide in about something, I am willing to be there, but I also think that person should also be his wife. Then again, it may not be something he can truly talk to her about. But what could it be that he feels he could not go to his own wife about? Or even Tim, since he knows Tony better than I do?

He will be meeting us at our house tonight after work so I can take him over to my mom's a few blocks away. Tim may or may not go with, but I figured it would be a hassle to bring Nathan along in Tony's truck, because he may take Buster tonight instead of tomorrow, so Tim may stay home. Tony told me to remind him of last nights conversation so that he can tell me whatever it is.

I know I can keep a secret, and let him confide in me if needed, and I would never betray his trust, but I feel really odd about this, maybe because I don't know what he will say or do.

My biggest fear is that it would be something that would create that wierdness that is hard to overcome in a friendship.

Fuzzykitten said: "I know I can keep a secret, and let him confide in me if needed, and I would never betray his trust, but I feel really odd about this, maybe because I don't know what he will say or do.

My biggest fear is that it would be something that would create that wierdness that is hard to overcome in a friendship"

If I were you I would probably tell him not to tell me the secret. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a secret from my husband. If he's just looking for someone to confide in why does it have to be kept secret from Tim??????

When Men start confiding in women - especially married women - it can cause problems. Men need MEN to confide in, generally - except me, because most men don't understand me. Cept misterblu and GotZoom - because they're dainty and smell good.

:)

Seriously though - Listen to him; if it's something sexual or personal to the point of making you feel uncomfortable, or ILLEGAL, tell him you're glad to be his friend, but he really should talk to somebody else.

Police? His wife? a Minister?

Maybe he's going to say something like "I REALLY wish I had a job as a female celebrity impersonator"...something he wouldn't tell a guy-friend.

fuzzykitten99 said:
Please help me put another perspective into this, unless I am looking at it how I should be...

ok, here goes...

background: Tim and I are still friends with Tony & Renee, a guy and his wife that he worked with before changing companies back in Nov. They have a little girl about 2 months younger than Nathan, so they often get to play together, which is great. Plus Tony & Renee are lots of fun to hang with.

My mom is needing to sell her house, and likely has to move to an apartment, in which she needs to find a new home for her beautiful Siberian Husky, Buster. Tim and I would gladly take him, but because of the new baby, and the fact that Buster is a high-maintenence dog, it just isn't good timing. Plus I have always wanted a dog, and Buster is already trained for a home with little kids.

We mentioned this issue to Tony while Tim was telling him about an opening at the company where he works. Tony is interested in Buster, and we have made plans tonite to go visit Buster and Tony wants to take him for the weekend to see how he fits in with their other dog before deciding. My mom agrees with the idea, and is willing to do this.

Since I know more about Buster than Tim, Tony talked to me directly last night, and in that conversation we talked about our jobs, and how my last job was similar to where he is now, as far as atmosphere and backstabbing that goes on, and how he wants to leave, etc.

He then proceeds to ask me if I can keep a secret, even from Tim, etc. I thought he was just being casual or general about it, not meaning one thing in particular. So I said it depended on what the secret was and the terms that the person told me, and whether or not the secret is something that really should not be a secret because of its effects/affects on someone or many people.

He told me that he just wants someone to confide in and that I seemed like a person who he feels comfortable enough to do so. When he said this, I was more flattered, but felt kind of awkward because even though I know him pretty well, I don't feel I know him THAT well. But ok, if he needs someone to confide in about something, I am willing to be there, but I also think that person should also be his wife. Then again, it may not be something he can truly talk to her about. But what could it be that he feels he could not go to his own wife about? Or even Tim, since he knows Tony better than I do?

He will be meeting us at our house tonight after work so I can take him over to my mom's a few blocks away. Tim may or may not go with, but I figured it would be a hassle to bring Nathan along in Tony's truck, because he may take Buster tonight instead of tomorrow, so Tim may stay home. Tony told me to remind him of last nights conversation so that he can tell me whatever it is.

I know I can keep a secret, and let him confide in me if needed, and I would never betray his trust, but I feel really odd about this, maybe because I don't know what he will say or do.

My biggest fear is that it would be something that would create that wierdness that is hard to overcome in a friendship.

Seems to me that anyone that is asking you to keep a secret from your husband and their wife, is probably not looking out for you. IMHO.

Mr. P said:
Geeezzzzzz you have some weird shit happening to you.....
My take...he's gonna hit on you.
She's pregnant! No offense to Fuzzy, because I'm sure she's still very attractive, but what kind of a guy would hit on a pregnant woman, especially if her husband is his friend?

Tell him you don't feel comfortable keeping secrets from your husband, but if he doesn't mind Tim's knowing, then, okay. So if he is going to hit on you, that should make him back off, but it still leaves it a little open in case he really just wants a woman's POV on something (even though he SHOULD really be talking to his wife). Anyway, that should make you feel more comfortable, since you wouldn't be bound to keeping something from YOUR husband.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Mr. P said:
Lots of guys would.

8 months pregnant and someone offered to "take care" of my husband. :cuckoo:

I'd hear what he has to say. Ask a few questions first. Something along the lines of "does this have anything to with me?" But I'm so nosey I drive myself insane, so I'd be all ears. :laugh:

When someone asks me if I can keep secret what they are about to tell me, I say, "Sure, except I may tell my husband." One exception on telling him would be if a girlfriend of mine is in some kind of trouble. I have never had anyone not tell me because of the husband caveat.

I think Mr. P may be right. Tony may be about to confess his eternal devotion to you.

The ClayTaurus said:
It can cause problems, but listen to him? Seems contradictory as I would think you'd want to avoid problems...

Id Est: (she/a woman) Becoming a 'confidant' for a man, particularly if both are committed in seperate relationships, 'can' cause problems. Listen to the guy, if things are dicey politely tell him to talk to somebody else about it.

Mr. P said:

Yeah... somewhere in the course of whatever he's gonna say, he's gonna try to make a move, or at least lay some groundwork like: "Man, I could never tell Renee this" or "you're such a great woman/friend" or "your husband is lucky to have a great wife like you."

Mr. P said:

thanks, p... i thought i was the only one who felt this way!

this was my first thought. and i did read the other posts about being pregnant too...

He has never made any indication, unintentionally or otherwise, that he has any desire to be with anyone other than his wife.

I dunno...This just seems a bit odd. Then again, now that I think about it, I have rarely had that many girlfirends, but have been more inclined to hang out with guys. I had guy friends that would confide in me about a lot of stuff. But because I haven't hung out with many guys other than Tim and his friends since we have been married, maybe I forgot what it was like to have a guy be like this with me, other than Tim.

gop_jeff said:
Yeah... somewhere in the course of whatever he's gonna say, he's gonna try to make a move, or at least lay some groundwork like: "Man, I could never tell Renee this" or "you're such a great woman/friend" or "your husband is lucky to have a great wife like you."

ya hit the nail on the head! This commentary sums it up!

side note: this is funny...same thing happened to me with my ex...her boss a mutual friend did the same thing to her...layed the groundwork...then later made the move while I was on deployment to the East Coast on assignment...he then added...that (I) was not a sensitive guy and put more time in my job than caring about my family...he understood her needs...on and on...as related to me when her marriage failed with him some ten years later...she wanted a reprieve...of which I said 'NO thank you'! :smoke:

gop_jeff said:
Really? Wow.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

Forum List

Back