Why Do "Desperate Democrats" Strongly Appose Voter Photo I.D. Requirement For 2012 ?

I have no problem with voters showing IDs to vote as long as IDs are readily available and free

My only question for Republicans is how do you check the IDs of those who vote by mail?

Agreed. I'm just fine with ID requirements but that ID better be free, if not issued.

I'm on the fence.

I can see the argument that it's suppression of the poor VOTE because they'd have to BUY an ID to do so......

BUT - You're SUPPOSED to take your responsibilities as a Citizen pretty seriously and be a part of that process. It would seem like one of the things you can save a $20 bill to do, being that your essentials (if poor) are paid for by the Government that you're supposed to vote-in to represent you.

I have no problem with voters showing IDs to vote as long as IDs are readily available and free

My only question for Republicans is how do you check the IDs of those who vote by mail?

Agreed. I'm just fine with ID requirements but that ID better be free, if not issued.

I'm on the fence.

I can see the argument that it's suppression of the poor VOTE because they'd have to BUY an ID to do so......

BUT - You're SUPPOSED to take your responsibilities as a Citizen pretty seriously and be a part of that process. It would seem like one of the things you can save a $20 bill to do, being that your essentials (if poor) are paid for by the Government that you're supposed to vote-in to represent you.

Voting is a right. Charging for a voting ID is a defacto poll tax.

I wonder how many Sasquatches are registered to vote In Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. Those Washington elections have been too close to call lately.

I'm on the fence.

I'm not against it because it makes sense. The rest of the argument doesn't interest me after that mere fact.

Although, I'd like to know how the hell mail-ins are supposed to work.

I wonder how many Sasquatches are registered to vote In Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. Those Washington elections have been too close to call lately.

They probably even out with the Neanderthals who vote Republican

Are you really that naive to not realize they check signatures.

Jesus, how do you tie your shoes in the morning?

How much documented evidence of voter fraud can anyone come up with? Certainly there is some, but is it a problem only solved by the exclusion of some voters who don't have the required ID?

I'm on the fence.

the SCOTUS has found voter id laws constitutional, and that they do not equate to a poll tax.

States with voter ID laws make the ID's available at no cost, if the person requesting the ID in order to vote 'asks' for the free ID... they place notices up in the DMVs about the free ID's... the post information about the free ID's on the DMV websites.

What more are they expected to do? Call every registered voter to ask if they'd like a free ID? Arbitrarily mail out free voter ID applications to every registered voter in the state?

The only people who seem to think some of the voters are too lazy or stupid to manage to get the free ID's, are the Democrats, and they seem to think the only ones affected by these laws, are Democrats... so essentially, Democrats think that Democrats are too lazy or stupid to manage this.

Last edited:

How much documented evidence of voter fraud can anyone come up with? Certainly there is some, but is it a problem only solved by the exclusion of some voters who don't have the required ID?

in my eyes it would be nipping it in the bud.

It may only be one today....word gets out to his friends.....5 tomorrow...word gets out to their friends....100 on Friday.

Owning an ID is law in itself. One is required by law to carry identification...granted an often ignored law....but one that makes sense.

Ensuring you have it with you when you go to vote should not be an issue.

I dont recall anyone ever telling me they didnt want to go out drinking becuase they would haver to carry their ID with them.

I know I am a Neanderthal but I remember a time when:

1. Nobody went out to sign up voters. Citizens accepted the responsibility to get themselves to the City Clerk's office or wherever to register to vote and yes, we did have to have valid ID in order to register. And we knew we had to do that six weeks before the election so that every registration could be verified and included on the roster by election day. Those of us who moved within that six week period accepted the responsibility to get ourselves back to our old precinct to vote.

2. The election was held from 7 am to 7 pm on election day at our assigned precinct voting place. No early voting. No voting anywhere you wanted. Precinct managers often provided transportation to folks who needed that to get to the polls, but there was none of this dragging folks off the street, registering them on the spot, and pointing to the box they were paid to mark.

3. Absentee ballots were provided to those who could not get to the polls on election day, and it was up to each voter to request and return such ballots by the due date.

4. We were required to verify our identity in order to vote.

As a result, it was mostly interested and informed citizens who voted for our elected officials. I would very much like to go back to that system.

Same question

Why are signatures acceptable for a mail in ballot but not a walk-in ballot?

How do you justify a different standard to vote? Courts are usually interested in that

1. Nobody went out to sign up voters. Citizens accepted the responsibility to get themselves to the City Clerk's office or wherever to register to vote and yes, we did have to have valid ID in order to register. And we knew we had to do that six weeks before the election so that every registration could be verified and included on the roster by election day. Those of us who moved within that six week period accepted the responsibility to get ourselves back to our old precinct to vote.

2. The election was held from 7 am to 7 pm on election day at our assigned precinct voting place. No early voting. No voting anywhere you wanted. Precinct managers often provided transportation to folks who needed that to get to the polls, but there was none of this dragging folks off the street, registering them on the spot, and pointing to the box they were paid to mark.

3. Absentee ballots were provided to those who could not get to the polls on election day, and it was up to each voter to request and return such ballots by the due date.

As a result, it was mostly interested and informed citizens who voted for our elected officials. I would very much like to go back to that system.

What is wrong with encouraging people to vote and making it easier to do so?

Does that scare you?

Same question

Why are signatures acceptable for a mail in ballot but not a walk-in ballot?

How do you justify a different standard to vote? Courts are usually interested in that

See the individual rules for your district/county.

For those who don't carry an Arizona driver's license but still need to prove their age or identity, an identification card is in order. ID cards are available to all Arizona residents, including infants, for $12. Persons over the age of 65 and those who receive Federal Supplemental Security Income disability checks will have the fee waived.
Applying for a New Arizona MVD Identification Card at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide

That's an ID in Arizona, am sure there are several states like that. I fail to see why proving who you are at the poll is such a bad thing. If you have to provide an ID cash a check, or open a checking account it would seem to me something as important as voting should be on the same level. That being said, the poor, disabled, seniors, etc. should have some mechanism by which getting an ID would be made easier so that they can vote. I am led to believe in some states, that getting a State ID can be Free if you cannot afford one. While this may or may not be true if it is, it does sort of take the winds of out of the sails of those who oppose it.

Voting is a privelage.
It should be treated that way.

I have watched many people over the years spend hours filling out their publisher clearinghouse sweepstakes forms...I have watched on the news people standing on lines for the new Ipad for days...I have seen 4 hour lines for lotto tickets when the winning amount is 300 million....

But it is an inconvenience to ensure you have proper ID to vote?

On a side note....why are people willing to wait 4 hours for a 300 million dollar lotto ticket but not for a 1 million dollar lotto ticket? I mean, if someone told you they will give you a million dollars if you were to wait on line for 4 hours, you wouldnt do it?

I see that some people who harp on cost for ID's ignore the fact that the Voter ID's are indeed free in ALL the states that implemented such laws. You just have to ASK.

I see that some people who harp on cost for ID's ignore the fact that the Voter ID's are indeed free in ALL the states that implemented such laws. You just have to ASK.

But "asking" is an unecessary inconvenience. Toomuch trouble for the privelage to vote.

What is wrong with encouraging people to vote and making it easier to do so?

Does that scare you?

Not at all.

WHy should it be made easier? Unions give the day off. Polling stations are conveniently located. Voting takes all but a minute or two.

Why must we ALSO compromise the integrity of the privelage to vote by making it easier for non citizens to vote?

Forum List

Back