Why do Dems hate the poor and why are they de-funding foodstamps?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
"House members convened Tuesday and passed the multibillion-dollar bailout bill for cash-strapped states that provides $10 billion to school districts to rehire laid-off teachers or ensure that more teachers won't be let go before the new school year begins, keeping more than 160,000 teachers on the job, the Obama administration says.

But the bill also requires that $12 billion be stripped from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps, to help fund the new bill..."

FOXNews.com - Democrats, Advocacy Groups Blast Cuts to Food Stamps to Fund $26B Aid Bill

• Banned
Yeah, that's what we said about the healthcare monstrosity.
And the stimulus.

I guess the rationale is that the teachers will be laid off now but the cut to food stamps won't happen until 2014. The economy could be in a better position in 2014 and the issue can be re-visited. Something needs to get done right now to make sure our children are getting an education or THEY will be on food stamps when they grow up.

I think it's unfair to infer from the resolution that Democrats hate the poor. I think it's fair to say that Democrats have represented the needs and concerns of impoverished Americans much better than the current day Republicans. That's like me saying that Republican's hate educating children as the majority voted against this measure. Not really fair.

"House members convened Tuesday and passed the multibillion-dollar bailout bill for cash-strapped states that provides $10 billion to school districts to rehire laid-off teachers or ensure that more teachers won't be let go before the new school year begins, keeping more than 160,000 teachers on the job, the Obama administration says.

But the bill also requires that $12 billion be stripped from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps, to help fund the new bill..."

FOXNews.com - Democrats, Advocacy Groups Blast Cuts to Food Stamps to Fund $26B Aid Bill

How very odd. The title of the article is clear that this is a $26 billion aid package, yet inexplicably we're only told only that it "provides $10 billion to school districts to rehire laid-off teachers or ensure that more teachers won't be let go." That would suggest that the majority of the money--$16 billion, in fact--is going toward something else...

What on earth could that be? Something that screws the poor, no doubt!

• Banned
I guess the rationale is that the teachers will be laid off now but the cut to food stamps won't happen until 2014. The economy could be in a better position in 2014 and the issue can be re-visited. Something needs to get done right now to make sure our children are getting an education or THEY will be on food stamps when they grow up.

I think it's unfair to infer from the resolution that Democrats hate the poor. I think it's fair to say that Democrats have represented the needs and concerns of impoverished Americans much better than the current day Republicans. That's like me saying that Republican's hate educating children as the majority voted against this measure. Not really fair.

So based on your feelings you're willing to ignore the evidence.

Gottit.

• Banned

How very odd. The title of the article is clear that this is a $26 billion aid package, yet inexplicably we're only told only that it "provides $10 billion to school districts to rehire laid-off teachers or ensure that more teachers won't be let go." That would suggest that the majority of the money--$16 billion, in fact--is going toward something else...

What on earth could that be? Something that screws the poor, no doubt!

Not only that..but get this..

The $12 billion is slated to go towards (specifically) state unions.

State unions spent around $50 million last year (a non-election year) on the dems.

So $50 million of that $12 billion is essentially going directly back to the Dems.

And if they get it, what do you bet the unions pay more than $50 million in the future?

It seems you're missing the sarcasm. This is shitty journalism that feeds the narrative you're pushing in this thread "why do Dems hate the poor"? If anyone were intellectually honest enough to note that the bulk of the money authorized in this bill ($16.1 billion) is going toward a program for the poor--Medicaid--it would be hard to make this argument with a straight face.

And I now realize I've already told you this. So either you missed that little tidbit the first time around or you're being very, very disingenuous.

It seems you're missing the sarcasm. This is shitty journalism that feeds the narrative you're pushing in this thread "why do Dems hate the poor"? If anyone were intellectually honest enough to note that the bulk of the money authorized in this bill ($16.1 billion) is going toward a program for the poor--Medicaid--it would be hard to make this argument with a straight face.

And I now realize I've already told you this. So either you missed that little tidbit the first time around or you're being very, very disingenuous.

We actually discussed this before, and I do not recall your answer to my challenge that people need food more than they do doctors.

This is just a stupid accounting gimmick, like the doctor fix in Medicare. They need to stop using things like this to balance the budget, and only pay for programs they have the money for now.

We actually discussed this before, and I do not recall your answer to my challenge that people need food more than they do doctors.

This is just a stupid accounting gimmick, like the doctor fix in Medicare. They need to stop using things like this to balance the budget, and only pay for programs they have the money for now.

1) Why are they taking away people's food?! That's cold!
2) Why aren't they taking away people's food! This accounting gimmick won't stand, cut food stamp benefits now!

Why would I wade into an argument you're having with yourself?

Gottit.

I don't really see any evidence that Democrats hate the poor based on your linked article. I see a pragmatic approach to do the most with limited funds. I also can see a parallel to your post title with the unfortunate political smear tactics that really undermine our nation as a whole. Either that or you are one of the infamous internet "trolls" I have been told about.

In any event, I think its a great thing that those teachers will be in class to instruct those innocent children who deserve an education. In the long run, that education will serve to make us all a better nation in the future. Some of those kids may be the very ones that I saw in that heartwarming video posted earlier about the soldiers coming home. I am sorry that I disagree with your assertion but I am willing to do that respectfully.

1) Why are they taking away people's food?! That's cold!
2) Why aren't they taking away people's food! This accounting gimmick won't stand, cut food stamp benefits now!

Why would I wade into an argument you're having with yourself?

You point out that the money that is being taken from 2014's food stamp program is being spent today on Medicaid. I point out that that is an accounting gambit, and should not be used. Do you agree or disagree that accounting gimmicks in balancing the budget should be forbidden?

Separately, 2014 people will be told that they have to live with less food, which I am sure almost every doctor will tell you is a bad idea. People need food more than they need a doctor. That just makes this a bad idea because it will ultimately hurt more than it helps.

Gottit.

I don't really see any evidence that Democrats hate the poor based on your linked article. I see a pragmatic approach to do the most with limited funds. I also can see a parallel to your post title with the unfortunate political smear tactics that really undermine our nation as a whole. Either that or you are one of the infamous internet "trolls" I have been told about.

In any event, I think its a great thing that those teachers will be in class to instruct those innocent children who deserve an education. In the long run, that education will serve to make us all a better nation in the future. Some of those kids may be the very ones that I saw in that heartwarming video posted earlier about the soldiers coming home. I am sorry that I disagree with your assertion but I am willing to do that respectfully.

I could almost agree with that sentiment, if it were not for the fact that this is an outright lie. The money here that is actually going to the schools is not going to impact the teachers at all, it is going to save the jobs of janitors and groundskeepers.

The article that was linked stated the money was being used to re-hire laid off teachers. If the linked article was wrong and the money is being used for janitors and groundskeepers, then I would be willing to reconsider my opinion. Do you have a link to substantiate this? Preferably a link to the actual provisions of the resolution that clearly state that this money is not to be used to re-hire laid off teachers?

The article that was linked stated the money was being used to re-hire laid off teachers. If the linked article was wrong and the money is being used for janitors and groundskeepers, then I would be willing to reconsider my opinion. Do you have a link to substantiate this? Preferably a link to the actual provisions of the resolution that clearly state that this money is not to be used to re-hire laid off teachers?

You want me to prove to you that the actual resolution says something even I have not said it does? Why would I even try to do that.

On the other hand, if you want me to prove that my claim that this is not going to save the jobs of teachers, that will be easy. Unfortunately for you, I am rarely nice to assholes who try to make me look stupid, so I am going to mock you as I proceed.

There are hundreds of school districts that lay off teachers every year, and hire them back the next year. The reason they do this is so that idiots like you, and most of the knee jerk liberals you associate with, go into panic mode whenever this happens. This enables those districts to lobby for more money from the saps that fall for the scare tactics, and allows union pawns in Congress to scare everyone and spend more money we do not have to save teacher jobs that were never in danger. This also enables Pelosi and her sycophants, like rdean, to lable Republicans as anti-education because they are smart enough not to fall for the lies year in and year out.

All these stories are dated from before the teacher bailout passed, so they prove just how stupid it is to fall for these scare tactics.

FWCS rehires 148 of 284 laid-off teachers | The News-Sentinel - Fort Wayne IN
http://www.hesperiastar.com/news/teacher-3535-layoffs-board.html
141 teacher jobs to be restored - CharlotteObserver.com
Cleveland School Board Approves New Contract; Teachers to be Recalled - WJW
L'Observateur

Forum List

Back