Why do contractor suck so much

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I bought a beautiful 5000 sq ft foreclosed home in a far west suburb of Chicago. I signed a contract with a general contractor for little over $100k in work.

The guy promised 4 months no problem. So when I sold my current house I set the closing date around that time frame plus 1 month.

3 months in the guy has barely done a thing. His excuse is unforesee delays on his prior job.

Now I have a new contractor and he is promising me a date well after I am supposed to close. Aaaarrggg

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I bought a beautiful 5000 sq ft foreclosed home in a far west suburb of Chicago. I signed a contract with a general contractor for little over $100k in work.

The guy promised 4 months no problem. So when I sold my current house I set the closing date around that time frame plus 1 month.

3 months in the guy has barely done a thing. His excuse is unforesee delays on his prior job.

Now I have a new contractor and he is promising me a date well after I am supposed to close. Aaaarrggg

How much homework did you do about the contractor's reputation?

Much like other areas, for every good one there are dozens of shysters out there screwing folks over. Buyer beware!

I deal with suppliers and vendors and we have to go through these all the time but general contractors are the worst. They are trained and good in this kind of tactics and maneuvering.
Vendors I'm talking about are custom made parts for my products like machined parts, molded parts and chemicals.

But we learned quite a bit of experiences in dealing with these kind of problem.
In your contract you specify a reasonable deadline and consequences if the project is delayed.

In your case if he/she missed----- Your stuff will end up in the public storage, rent a hotel room for weeks, moving twice, inconvenient and interruptions of your kids in school.
Put that in your contract----- Re-emphasized and read it in front of the owner. Look him in the eye. WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH YOU IF YOU MISSED THE DEADLINE? I need to know that now because this is a big risk for me in hiring you. Be firm. You cannot and should not be nice. But make sure you get at least 3 bids, ask for references and visit the jobs they did in the past. So you can see the quality of their products.

In my case it's very simple. You missed you don't get the job. Normally we do this during vendor certification or audit process making sure they have good quality program. From their own suppliers to receiving inspection to storing to labeling to finish products to recalled products.
My QA guys are very tough in dealing with these kind issues. Part of FDA quality guidelines. We get visit by FDA at least once every 3 years by SURPRISE.

I deal with suppliers and vendors and we have to go through these all the time but general contractors are the worst. They are trained and good in this kind of tactics and maneuvering.
Vendors I'm talking about are custom made parts for my products like machined parts, molded parts and chemicals.

But we learned quite a bit of experiences in dealing with these kind of problem.
In your contract you specify a reasonable deadline and consequences if the project is delayed.

In your case if he/she missed----- Your stuff will end up in the public storage, rent a hotel room for weeks, moving twice, inconvenient and interruptions of your kids in school.
Put that in your contract----- Re-emphasized and read it in front of the owner. Look him in the eye. WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH YOU IF YOU MISSED THE DEADLINE? I need to know that now because this is a big risk for me in hiring you. Be firm. You cannot and should not be nice. But make sure you get at least 3 bids, ask for references and visit the jobs they did in the past. So you can see the quality of their products.

In my case it's very simple. You missed you don't get the job. Normally we do this during vendor certification or audit process making sure they have good quality program. From their own suppliers to receiving inspection to storing to labeling to finish products to recalled products.
My QA guys are very tough in dealing with these kind issues. Part of FDA quality guidelines. We get visit by FDA at least once every 3 years by SURPRISE.

Just an add on. I'm out of the picture now. Retired but my oldest son is now my CEO.

and this is why you do a 'punishment 'system.....if the goals are not achieved you lower the price by a set arranged on amount.....say the house is not finished by such a date they forfeit 5 k

and this is why you do a 'punishment 'system.....if the goals are not achieved you lower the price by a set arranged on amount.....say the house is not finished by such a date they forfeit 5 k

Agree and that works really well also.

In my case we do that also but still not acceptable bcoz I still don't have my parts or product supplies. And that will be catastrophic to all of my customers. In vendor certification or audit we have questionnaires with categories. Like DISASTERS & DELAYS ( or D Day).

Like who is in charge of this business? If something happened who is next in line or capable? Like a gifted machinist that can maintain + & - .0005 tolerance. What happened if something happened to him? Or a chemist formulator. What happened if this building is on fire or flooded? What is the back up plan? Any kind of fire or natural disaster is not acceptable. These has to be a confirmed a real actual back up plan or no business.

A real life good example of this is the Hurricane Irma in Florida last week. Two of my major reagent suppliers are from Florida (Google search reagents manufacturer in Fl). They did not get flooded but if it happened they have enough supplies ( 140+ days? ) of finished goods stored somewhere outside Florida for all their customers.

Anyway I'm just sharing part of my logistical portion of my operations.

all his wokers got deported?

Forum List

Back