Why do conservatives want the US to be like Afghanistan?

Afghans are Christian hating muslims !! and Muslims hate conservatives !!

Muslims ARE conservatives.

Hehe.... shhh!!!

If you want to dispute it, PLEASE provide ANY proof.

October 16, 2001

What's truly ironic about this whole war is that the conservatives in our country do not seem to realize that the Taliban is simply an extreme version of the same primal impulse that drives them.

In every population there is a distribution of conservative to progressive, aggressive to peaceful, etc. The famous classical game theoretic model, the Hawk-Dove contest, shows that the evolutionarily stable population in that model is not all hawks or all doves, but rather a certain degree of each; in that model, 58% "doves" and 42% "hawks". It stands to reason that it is expected that you will have both types of personality in your population. Similarly, I believe a stable distribution of political sensibility is probably one with both progressive and conservative elements.

Of course, it's funny how the same personality type seems to latch on to radically different ideas depending on the society. "Conservatives" here profess a belief in capitalism and extol the virtues of the good old days of the 1950's, a half century ago; "conservatives" in Russia pine for the bygone days of the stability of the old Soviet empire. I believe that the propensity in conservatives is not towards ideologies per se, but rather towards status quo versus change. I'd bet you'd find much more psychologically (and perhaps genetically?) similar between conservatives here and in Russia, despite the fact that they profess supposedly opposite nostalgias.

But of course a typical conservative doesn't look at the conservatism of their enemy and learn to moderate themselves; they see the enemy as an "other", as confirmation of their own rigid views, despite the evident similarity between the two stances.
M. Hadeishi

that was a long time ago....

Yes it was quite a long time ago, but some things about human nature nature do not change. There are still bad individuals with the will to hurt other people. There are still nations that are very unstable. I'm very happy that I live in a country that allows me to defend myself and not depend on anyone else to do so.

Why do you think that the U.S. is the only civilized nation that is so obsessive about guns?

It's called FREEDOM jillian.
Talk to the citizens of Britain and Australia who really regret giving up their guns.

European and Aussie friends...Do you regret giving up your right to own firearms?
what is life like without firearms?

Why do you think that I left the UK in 1987? The crime rate was (and still is) going up, especially gun related crimes such as armed robbery murder and the like. The British government started to arm the police at that time, and police officers bearing sub-machine guns roam through-out Heathrow Airport as though Britain was on a war-time schedule. At that time I saw that what the Yanks had been saying was true: when guns are outlawed, only outlaws (and police) will have guns. To this I can only add, and the unarmed citizen is caught in the cross-fire. At least in Arizona, I can shoot back, and not let myself be killed without a fight.

We here in America, do not want criminals and police to be the only ones who have guns.

Yes it was quite a long time ago, but some things about human nature nature do not change. There are still bad individuals with the will to hurt other people. There are still nations that are very unstable. I'm very happy that I live in a country that allows me to defend myself and not depend on anyone else to do so.

Why do you think that the U.S. is the only civilized nation that is so obsessive about guns?

Talk to the citizens of Britain and Australia who really regret giving up their guns.

European and Aussie friends...Do you regret giving up your right to own firearms?

Why do you think that I left the UK in 1987? The crime rate was (and still is) going up, especially gun related crimes such as armed robbery murder and the like. The British government started to arm the police at that time, and police officers bearing sub-machine guns roam through-out Heathrow Airport as though Britain was on a war-time schedule. At that time I saw that what the Yanks had been saying was true: when guns are outlawed, only outlaws (and police) will have guns. To this I can only add, and the unarmed citizen is caught in the cross-fire. At least in Arizona, I can shoot back, and not let myself be killed without a fight.

We here in America, do not want criminals and police to be the only ones who have guns.

No. It isn't about "freedom". Understand, I don't have a particular antipathy toward guns. My husband, my son, my brother, my father, all shoot. I have even gone to a range.... Once. But the vast majority of people who t Ali about guns and freedom would have no problem with interfering with my dominion over my own body. So obstructing actual freedom doesn't seem to be the issue.

I just don't think there's anything admirable about making this country into the wild west

No. It isn't about "freedom". Understand, I don't have a particular antipathy toward guns. My husband, my son, my brother, my father, all shoot. I have even gone to a range.... Once. But the vast majority of people who t Ali about guns and freedom would have no problem with interfering with my dominion over my own body. So obstructing actual freedom doesn't seem to be the issue.

I just don't think there's anything admirable about making this country into the wild west

In every state that has enacted conceal carry laws, crime has gone down.
Wild West? No
You use the gun to threaten, as a deterrent, not to just shoot.

I think it truly does come down to freedom. I personally do not care what you do with your own body, it doesn't affect me or my life. Whether I agree with your choices also has no bearing on this, I still feel it's your body and I have no right to say what you can or cannot do with it. Alot of conservatives are coming to this point. I also wouldn't care if you married your own sex, none of my business. Lots of conservatives are coming around to this idea of personal freedom.

Although some conservatives have very strong religious convictions, and while I do not have those same convictions, I do respect their opinions.

Forum List

Back