Why do Christians Strongly Disagree with Science and Distrust Scientists

He's a complete joke, the further I read, the more I laughed. There are so many strawmen in that post there are too many to count. :lol: Complete and total intellectual dishonesty from someone who claims to be an intellectual.

I was being absolutely sincere. Don't attack my character, Newby, please.

Its seems lazy that, instead of dealing with my argument, you just blanket judge the whole thing without providing your own input, and then discredit the author. It seems lazy and as though you don't have anything with any real merit to say to refute my opinion.

Last edited:
Generally ? How about "some"?

In my experience it isn't some, its most. Now, instead of derailing this thread because you feel you've been unjustly accused of disagreeing with science or distrusting scientists, why don't you just reply to the questions posed by the OP?

Great--another poster who assumes that their experiences MUST represent the entire truth. :lol:

:clap2: I can bet that i know a hell of a lot more christians than he does, and I don't know one that feels or believes any of the bullshit in his OP. I'm beginning to wonder who the hell he's hanging around with. :lol:

I agree with Del. Your agenda is showing and it isn't a pretty sight.

I wasn't trying to hide my agenda. I put it right out in the open! I wanted to stir up the nest a bit, and I like arguing religion.

I would have a really, really hard time coming up with anything that "most" Christians do or don't do and I was raised in an entirely Christian environment (AFAIK).

Jeez. I should've substituted "Religious Fundamentalist" in for "Christian". Just go back and read it that way, or assume it as such for the rest of the thread. That goes for the rest of you, too!

Personally, I don't see any need for conflict between things like evolution and creation. I think both can be valid ways of explaining the same thing. If that just doesn't work for you, maybe you could try to be more open-minded to the possibilities.

Hey, I don't think there needs to be either! That's one reason why I started this thread. If Christians accepted scientific theories with as much credulity as scientists do, wouldn't that be nice? At least scientists can back up what they claim with evidence!

Srsly, you are coming off more and more close-minded all the time, and becoming sort of the poster boy for what cons see as the hypocrisy of libs. I don't say this as a flame, I actually like you, and I find this divergence into religion bashing as being out of character for you. I expect this from trolls like YWN666, but not you.

I'm not close-minded, Amanda. I like to think of myself as very open-minded. Read my posts on some of the other religion threads I've started. You can see my mind changing. I even perceive "faith" much more positively than I used to.

I don't think this is a religion bashing thread, so much as a, "In my opinion, this is one aspect of Christianity that I have experienced which seems hypocritical and I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention to see what others think about it" thread.

Where's my hypocrisy? I don't see it (not saying it isn't there, just point it out to me so I can see it too).

And really, Amanda, you're not one to talk. I've seen what you've had to say about homosexuals, and from a liberal perspective, you're becoming a posterchild for our perception of rightwing homophobia.

But this isn't an aspect of Christianity, it's an aspect of your bias.

Of course you think you're open-minded, libs always do, but that doesn't seem to stop you from making wild, blanket statements that are untrue.

Can you link to anything homophobic I've ever posted? You seem to be taking a pretty standard lib stance that if 1 doesn't embrace something wholeheartedly one is a hater. This simply isn't true. I'm in favor of civil unions for ALL. Is that homophobic to want everyone to have the same rights? I don't think so. Where have I ever said gays shouldn't be given equal treatment under the law for any issue? When you can't come up with any evidence to support your wildly inaccurate claim I will graciously accept your apology for the disparaging remarks you made. :)

Well, since there are so many, it really shouldn't be that difficult, especially when someone supposedly made such a ridiculous remark that apparently represents most Christians. I want to see the "but they seem to think science is actually a bad thing altogether and leading humankind down a terrible path to extinction" remark, where is it? Where are all of these comments?

Alright, fine, for you, I'll do it, but I'm not going to spend an hour sifting through each thread looking for the posts:

There's a whole bunch in this thread i.e. read science for secular humanism because secular humanism is the spiritual side of scientific reasoning:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...e-bible-must-be-taught-in-public-schools.html

He's a complete joke, the further I read, the more I laughed. There are so many strawmen in that post there are too many to count. :lol: Complete and total intellectual dishonesty from someone who claims to be an intellectual.

I wasn't being absolutely sincere. Don't attack my character, Newby, please.

Its seems lazy that, instead of dealing with my argument, you just blanket judge the whole thing without providing your own input, and then discredit the author. It seems lazy and as though you don't have anything with any real merit to say to refute my opinion.

Yeah, you were being 'sincere'. :lol: It's lazy to make presumptions about a group of people without any evidence to back it up. Where's the evidence to back up your remarks?

Just another bullshit reason to attack and insult that which you don't understand, nothing new to see here, as several people have already pointed out.

Well, since there are so many, it really shouldn't be that difficult, especially when someone supposedly made such a ridiculous remark that apparently represents most Christians. I want to see the "but they seem to think science is actually a bad thing altogether and leading humankind down a terrible path to extinction" remark, where is it? Where are all of these comments?

Alright, fine, for you, I'll do it, but I'm not going to spend an hour sifting through each thread looking for the posts:

There's a whole bunch in this thread i.e. read science for secular humanism because secular humanism is the spiritual side of scientific reasoning:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...e-bible-must-be-taught-in-public-schools.html

a whole bunch by one poster, who gets roundly slapped silly.

you've got to be kidding me.

This thread is discussing how religion should be approached in public schools, it makes no assertions that I could find that back up anything you said in the OP. This is the only reference to science that I even saw in it, written by the author of the thread, who's user name is 'Evangelical':

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, that morals are experiential and not absolute, that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

Seems to me that he's saying that secular humanism is making that argument, not Christians? Next.

Probably for the same reason that science worshippers try to discredit religion.

Science "worshippers?"

Are you kidding?

Science does not try to discredit religion. It tries to answer questions in an empirical manner. If this discredits religion, that's that problem for religion.

I think the point is that there are SOME on this board who are anti-faith that try to discredit religious beliefs as if they worship scientists.

It is not that science tries to discredit religion, which I do not beleive most scientist go out of their way to do, but it is the attitude that some on this board (from both sides) take such as it is all or nothing on the question of evolution. You must either believe that God created the universe and that is it, or you must believe that life started in the primordial muck of science lore. There doesn't seem to be any room for the Theory of Evolution to be on the right track, but not the full answer.

Immie

Its my opinion, yes.

Of course you think you're open-minded, libs always do, but that doesn't seem to stop you from making wild, blanket statements that are untrue.

I didn't write "ALL Christians", and I did write statements like "Generally" and "TEND to" as disclaimers that not all Christians were like that.

Can you link to anything homophobic I've ever posted? You seem to be taking a pretty standard lib stance that if 1 doesn't embrace something wholeheartedly one is a hater. This simply isn't true. I'm in favor of civil unions for ALL. Is that homophobic to want everyone to have the same rights? I don't think so. Where have I ever said gays shouldn't be given equal treatment under the law for any issue? When you can't come up with any evidence to support your wildly inaccurate claim I will graciously accept your apology for the disparaging remarks you made. :)

It doesn't matter because it is how you are perceived from statements you've made regarding your opinion about homosexuals. You see what I mean? I don't have anything against religion. I don't have anything against people who are religious. I do have a problem when they self-righteously claim to know the absolute truth and discriminate against a type of person who doesn't fit in with what they believe, or with an idea or discovery that doesn't either. That' why I start these threads. That and I like to argue religion and philosophy. I might be branded by the rightwing, by Christians, and by religious people as being a hypocritical lib, but I don't care what other people think about me. I'm curious about what they think, and so I start these threads. As a human being, there are times and things about which I will be hypocritical. I try not to be, but nobody but Jesus is perfect, right?

a whole bunch by one poster, who gets roundly slapped silly.

you've got to be kidding me.

I only posted the one example, del. And it's an example of what I started this thread about, isn't it?

no, you said there's a whole bunch, implying a whole bunch of different posters, imo. there's one poster getting his/her ass kicked for being a dope.

you don't have to justify it to me, i don't care.
i believe what i believe and i don't much worry about other people's beliefs.

imagine if that caught on....

no, you said there's a whole bunch, implying a whole bunch of different posters, imo. there's one poster getting his/her ass kicked for being a dope.

you don't have to justify it to me, i don't care.
i believe what i believe and i don't much worry about other people's beliefs.

imagine if that caught on....

Okay, well, good point...:eusa_eh:

It's not so much that a lot of Christians hate science, it's just that it's easier to say "God did it", so that they don't have to investigate any further.

Ignorance is bliss, and because they want to simply say "God did it", they choose to ignore all the evidence around them.

Incidentally, the Hebrews back in the ancient days DID NOT TURN THEIR BACKS ON SCIENCE! Matter of fact, they were well versed in math, science, astronomy, astrology, as well as medical science. Saw the Naked Archaeologist one day, and he showed medical instruments that were over 2000 years old.

Most of 'em would look right at home in a modern medical facility.

Why did the Christians turn their backs on science? Simple......Rome and the Catholic church made it happen, as ignorant people are easier to control. And.....to make matters worse, the Catholic church, in it's desire to increase it's power, ended up twisting around all the things they stole from Jerusalem.

Then......they started to take all the pagan rituals and converted Christianity into the pack of lies that it currently is.

So......why? Simple.......ignorance is bliss, and they don't want to know where their faith is lying to them.

Its my opinion, yes.

I didn't write "ALL Christians", and I did write statements like "Generally" and "TEND to" as disclaimers that not all Christians were like that.

It doesn't matter because it is how you are perceived from statements you've made regarding your opinion about homosexuals. You see what I mean? I don't have anything against religion. I don't have anything against people who are religious. I do have a problem when they self-righteously claim to know the absolute truth and discriminate against a type of person who doesn't fit in with what they believe, or with an idea or discovery that doesn't either. That' why I start these threads. That and I like to argue religion and philosophy. I might be branded by the rightwing, by Christians, and by religious people as being a hypocritical lib, but I don't care what other people think about me. I'm curious about what they think, and so I start these threads. As a human being, there are times and things about which I will be hypocritical. I try not to be, but nobody but Jesus is perfect, right?

And I didn't write ALL Christians either. It seems to me like you're trying to build a case where there isn't 1. Case in point, Del asked you for an example of your "many" and you linked to a thread where 1 poster, an obvious troll, said it. 1 doesn't equal many.

It doesn't matter??? Do you realize what you just said? TRUTH doesn't matter...

Epic Fail.

Einstein himself said "Science without theology is blind, and theology without science is crippled".

And......the Hebrews worked WITH science.

It was the Greeks that created the division between the two.

Forum List

Back