Why do Christians Strongly Disagree with Science and Distrust Scientists

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
I've noticed a lot of Christians on this forum who seem to have a strong emotional reaction to science. They don't just disagree with some of science's theories which conflict with their religious beliefs, but they seem to think science is actually a bad thing altogether and leading humankind down a terrible path to extinction.

I don't know if it's political since Christians tend to vote Conservative and the GOP has always refuted global warming, but Christians tend not to, generally, believe in man-made global warming, or global warming at all. They don't believe in evolution (a scientific fact) or the Theory of Evolution through Natural Selection (a theory). They don't think the Big Bang is how the Universe began (though scientists would say we don't know if that's how if began or not, there is just a lot of evidence suggesting it). I would assume that if science ever proved that homosexuality had a genetic source, Christians would either deny the science, discredit the scientist or methods used, or claim it was a congenital or genetic birth defect.

Christians readily accept science's results. They drive cars, watch tv, listen to the radio, go to hospital, go to online forums to present their case against global warming and evolution, live in modern homes, work in engineering fields, support troops using the most advanced weapons and equipment, and go about their daily lives surrounded by the millions of advancements that science has brought in the form of technology. But for some reason, every other aspect of science seems to be suspect, and even insidious and dangerous.

Along with this, Christians seem to utterly distrust scientists (except Einstein for some reason) who are the very people who have wrought such a deeper understanding of reality and with it, the technological advances Christians enjoy each day. They tend to believe that scientists are in the pay of politicians and are therefore the pawns of politicians who wish to use science to push their agendas. Now, I wouldn't say that doesn't ever happen, but not on the grand scale with which Christians tend to believe. Or they think that scientists have some sort of personal ulterior motives for coming up with basless theories or discoveries which are supporting evidence. As though the scientists want to believe that evolution is a fact, instead of accepting that it is.

What gets me is that scientists refuse to believe in something which can't be proved using the scientific method and Christians use this as an argument against science even though there is absolutely not one shred or tiny fragment of scientific proof that their religious beliefs are true. Since we can't prove common origin of species, Christians refuse to believe it, despite all of the supporting evidence, some of which is very convincing. Yet, Christians will believe that what The Bible says is absolute, irrefutable truth. Same with the Big Bang, etc. etc.

I'm curious. Why is it that Christians so strongly and emotionally disagree with science and distrust scientists? Is it because science doesn't prove Christianity is truth, and even demonstrates that some of what the Bible claims is in error with scientific evidence? Is it because scientists tend not to be Christians? Is it that Christians tend not to be (and this is total speculation) very scientificaly minded and this is an emotional reaction to something they, as individuals, didn't do well during their education and/or don't understand well presently? What do Christians have against science?

I've noticed a lot of Christians on this forum who seem to have a strong emotional reaction to science. They don't just disagree with some of science's theories which conflict with their religious beliefs, but they seem to think science is actually a bad thing altogether and leading humankind down a terrible path to extinction.

I don't know if it's political since Christians tend to vote Conservative and the GOP has always refuted global warming, but Christians tend not to, generally, believe in man-made global warming, or global warming at all. They don't believe in evolution (a scientific fact) or the Theory of Evolution through Natural Selection (a theory). They don't think the Big Bang is how the Universe began (though scientists would say we don't know if that's how if began or not, there is just a lot of evidence suggesting it). I would assume that if science ever proved that homosexuality had a genetic source, Christians would either deny the science, discredit the scientist or methods used, or claim it was a congenital or genetic birth defect.

Christians readily accept science's results. They drive cars, watch tv, listen to the radio, go to hospital, go to online forums to present their case against global warming and evolution, live in modern homes, work in engineering fields, support troops using the most advanced weapons and equipment, and go about their daily lives surrounded by the millions of advancements that science has brought in the form of technology. But for some reason, every other aspect of science seems to be suspect, and even insidious and dangerous.

Along with this, Christians seem to utterly distrust scientists (except Einstein for some reason) who are the very people who have wrought such a deeper understanding of reality and with it, the technological advances Christians enjoy each day. They tend to believe that scientists are in the pay of politicians and are therefore the pawns of politicians who wish to use science to push their agendas. Now, I wouldn't say that doesn't ever happen, but not on the grand scale with which Christians tend to believe. Or they think that scientists have some sort of personal ulterior motives for coming up with basless theories or discoveries which are supporting evidence. As though the scientists want to believe that evolution is a fact, instead of accepting that it is.

What gets me is that scientists refuse to believe in something which can't be proved using the scientific method and Christians use this as an argument against science even though there is absolutely not one shred or tiny fragment of scientific proof that their religious beliefs are true. Since we can't prove common origin of species, Christians refuse to believe it, despite all of the supporting evidence, some of which is very convincing. Yet, Christians will believe that what The Bible says is absolute, irrefutable truth. Same with the Big Bang, etc. etc.

I'm curious. Why is it that Christians so strongly and emotionally disagree with science and distrust scientists? Is it because science doesn't prove Christianity is truth, and even demonstrates that some of what the Bible claims is in error with scientific evidence? Is it because scientists tend not to be Christians? Is it that Christians tend not to be (and this is total speculation) very scientificaly minded and this is an emotional reaction to something they, as individuals, didn't do well during their education and/or don't understand well presently? What do Christians have against science?

All Christians don't believe in the same things. Why is it that you assume they do? Bigotry?

sometimes, when you are convinced that the world is flat then anyone who says otherwise should be burned at the stake for heresy.

All Christians don't believe in the same things. Why is it that you assume they do? Bigotry?

I was generalizing yes, but I didn't write "ALL Christians believe this." Generally, many of them do. Right? Well, that's why I was generalizing, because it would've gotten tiring to read, over and over again, "Generally, Christians...."

sometimes, when you are convinced that the world is flat then anyone who says otherwise should be burned at the stake for heresy.

Did Jesus say that ?:lol:

Jesus didn't say a lot of things that get construed as the word of god. If you don't like outside criticism then perhaps you should police your own. That IS, after all, what you expect of muslims, yes?

I was generalizing yes, but I didn't write "ALL Christians believe this." Generally, many of them do. Right? Well, that's why I was generalizing, because it would've gotten tiring to read, over and over again, "Generally, Christians...."

Generally ? How about "some"?

How about A LOT? Or, A HUGE FUCKING AMOUNT? or, the CLEAR MAJORITY WHO WANT ID TAUGHT IN THE SCIENCE CLASS. Any of these rocking your boat?

In my experience it isn't some, its most. Now, instead of derailing this thread because you feel you've been unjustly accused of disagreeing with science or distrusting scientists, why don't you just reply to the questions posed by the OP?

In my experience it isn't some, its most. Now, instead of derailing this thread because you feel you've been unjustly accused of disagreeing with science or distrusting scientists, why don't you just reply to the questions posed by the OP?

Great--another poster who assumes that their experiences MUST represent the entire truth. :lol:

I'm some kind of christian, and I don't strongly disagree with science or distrust scientists.

Now what can we argue about?

You don't fit the description mentioned above in the OP, which was my opinion. I wrote, TEND TO, a lot to try and demonstrate that not ALL Christians are this way.

Why do you think that many Christians do tend to discredit science's methods and distrust scientists?

I'm some kind of christian, and I don't strongly disagree with science or distrust scientists.

You don't fit the description mentioned above in the OP, which was my opinion. I wrote, TEND TO, a lot to try and demonstrate that not ALL Christians are this way.

Why do you think that many Christians do tend to discredit science's methods and distrust scientists?

Probably for the same reason that science worshippers try to discredit religion.

Probably for the same reason that science worshippers try to discredit religion.

Do you really think scientists are actively trying to discredit religion? Where would they get the funding? Where do they start their field research? What experiments would they have to do?

Do you think its valid that religious people should discredit science? Isn't it hypocritical to discredit science yet drive a car, use a cell phone, microwave leftovers, etc.?

I wouldn't say that Christians are hostile to science but evangelicals tend to reject it when science contradicts their deeply held beliefs.

There is a movement amongst younger evangelicals to do something about global warming.

I wouldn't say that Christians are hostile to science but evangelicals tend to reject it when science contradicts their deeply held beliefs.

There is a movement amongst younger evangelicals to do something about global warming.

That's good to hear. They sound kinda like Log Cabin Republicans.

he didn't say all... he said he noticed "a lot of Christians on this forum"....

why do you assume he meant all?

Bigotry? :eusa_whistle:

trolling.

dilloduck is one of the first ones to jump on a science thread, and provide the flat earth, denialist talking points on climate change, ozone depletion, or stem cell research. I think he took the post personally, since he/she is so anti-science.

Mountainman:

Obviously, not all christians are caught in a Medieval world view. The catholic church accepts evolution, and doesn't generally promote anti-science positions.

Its mostly the fundamentalists. And hard core republicans who are anti-science. The fundamentalists are against it because many of them believe the earth is 6000 years old, and it rocks them to their core that we might have evolved from primate ancestors, rather than from Adam and Eve.

For the anti-science republicans, well they mostly hate science because they think science is "liberal". And they are under orders from Boss Limbaugh to oppose anything that is remotely construed as liberal. Its an emotion-based reaction.

Forum List

Back