Why do atheists care about religion?

Did I not already say that I don't PARTICIPATE in every discussion that's been READ HERE? Is OBSERVATION not valid? From ONE in which I did participate, I found someone who agreed with me -- someone whom I'VE OBSERVED while NOT PARTICIPATING.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/78108-the-abortion-debate-18.html#post1276944

You do understand my RELUCTANCE TO PARTICIPATE, don't you?

OK 925...I am not trying to get your goat or anything so please don't be thinking such, I was just trying to understand where you were coming from.... ;)

Care

For the one voted least likely to flame, you're doing a pretty good job of enflaming.... :lol:

SERIOUSLY? You've got to be joking? You consider my conversation with you on this as flaming? hahahahahahaha!!!!

WOW, you are pretty high strung 925!!! I never pegged you as being so sensitive or looking for a fight type of person, because I in NO WAY came EVEN CLOSE to flaming you?

Care

Once again , quit preaching to the believers. You whine like a stuck pig when you perceive any believer preaching to you.

And since they are not converting you, why in the hell do you think your preaching is going to convert anyone to your view point?

I repeat, I do not think you can go a day without one of these ignorant posts.

I find it funny that they waste so much of their time trying to disprove Christianity. I don't waste 1 second of my time on Atheism, but they are obsessed with Christianity. I say keep wasting your time and energy as it will change no one, but it is definitely funny to see them try.

Point being Pro-Life is not just a Christian perspective. JB takes a Pro-Life stance independent of any religious influence.

As for civility, you and I have disagreed civilly in a long back and forth (I forget what it was about), and JB and I have disagreed civilly, even on questions of religion...his first or second post if I'm not mistaken.

Heck, I like you both, but JB will never convince me to forsake my God and you will never convince me that killing unborn babies is in any way justifiable.

You'll note that I said "the majority" -- not that I recall having that particular discussion with you at any rate. If you read the discussions I have had (there's a link up there somewhere), I make no attempts to convince ANYONE of anything when it comes to this issue. All I ask is respect for MY opinion, and how I came to form it. The most I ever hope for is that both "sides" would / could reach some compromise and stop the perpetual harassment of each other.

Yes agreement, why? Because then you win, because any agreement you would support includes abortion legal forever. You want those who disagree with you to just give up.

It is a simple concept. I accept that LEGALLY women in this country can kill their unborn for any reason or no reason at all. I only support political solutions to end it. How about you? If abortion were made illegal again would you AGREE to stop fighting over it? Would you agree to stop claiming that because abortion is illegal women die from getting illegal ones?

Obviously YOU haven't read the few contributions I've made on the subject which DO include what I find ACCEPTABLE, therefore you're presenting a strawman. COMPROMISE should have been the key word HERE to that simple concept. THAT means I had no expectations of YOU accepting the legality as it now stands. Do you understand THAT concept?

OK 925...I am not trying to get your goat or anything so please don't be thinking such, I was just trying to understand where you were coming from.... ;)

Care

For the one voted least likely to flame, you're doing a pretty good job of enflaming.... :lol:

SERIOUSLY? You've got to be joking? You consider my conversation with you on this as flaming? hahahahahahaha!!!!

WOW, you are pretty high strung 925!!! I never pegged you as being so sensitive or looking for a fight type of person, because I in NO WAY came EVEN CLOSE to flaming you?

Care

Oh hell.... Obviously you're the over-sensitive one, with an inability to detect the play on words, not to mention the oversight of the laughing face which followed.

Let's see.... Flame(ing) is characteristically defined, per board "etiquette", as insulting words or behavior, right? Now, that isn't what I said that you were doing -- rather, I used your reputation as one who does not engage in such behavior as a contrast to that which you thought you sensed.

Enflame - to excite.

Not only did I make such a contrast, I made a funny out of it (see laughing face).

Now you sense "high-strung" from that.... <chuckle>

Now... noone has any objections to seven states preventing persons from holding office based on religious beliefs and whether they believe in the right God? Noone has a problem with the State giving public (that is, everyone's personal) money to an organization that discriminates based on religion? Noone has a problem with people not being allowed to testify on a court of law because they don't adhere to the religion of the state? Nobody objects to a PotUS saying that those who do not adhere o the appropriate religion should not be considered citizens of this nation? Nobody sees anything wrong with state laws preventing someone from purchasing a vehicle because it offends someone else's religion? -or is it fine so long as its your god that gets legislated? Nobody cares that our coin, currency and the pledge we make immigrants take specifically recognize a specific deity?Noone is bothered by America being drawn into and targeted in a world-wide holy war because of these practices?

I should've posted Laci from the outset; after I posted the pretty girl w/ nice knockers, the thread fuinally got some responses :lol:

I'd be willing to bet that you'd all be screaming if we replaced 'God' with 'Allah'

Now... noone has any objections to seven states preventing persons from holding office based on religious beliefs and whether they believe in the right God? Noone has a problem with the State giving public (that is, everyone's personal) money to an organization that discriminates based on religion? Noone has a problem with people not being allowed to testify on a court of law because they don't adhere to the religion of the state? Nobody objects to a PotUS saying that those who do not adhere o the appropriate religion should not be considered citizens of this nation? Nobody sees anything wrong with state laws preventing someone from purchasing a vehicle because it offends someone else's religion? -or is it fine so long as its your god that gets legislated? Nobody cares that our coin, currency and the pledge we make immigrants take specifically recognize a specific deity?Noone is bothered by America being drawn into and targeted in a world-wide holy war because of these practices?

I should've posted Laci from the outset; after I posted the pretty girl w/ nice knockers, the thread fuinally got some responses :lol:

I'd be willing to bet that you'd all be screaming if we replaced 'God' with 'Allah'

It's pretty much a historical thing, JB. The founding fathers were "Christian" and I'd be hard-pressed to prove that their beliefs had no influence on how this country and its Constitution were formed.
Religion of the Founding Fathers of America

Difficult to change what is now centuries of "tradition", particularly since a little over 75% of Americans claim to be "Christian".
Religion of the Founding Fathers of America

Ya, the founding fathers were christians, that's why they were so gun obsessed. A free country doesn't need to have its citizens carrying concealed weapons. Jesus would not have approved.

JB is about as hung up with hating religion and anybody who has any kind of belief in religion as Baltimore Bob is hung up with all his rants and raves about Viet Nam. Both people, I fear, are in need of a bit of mental calibration. Seems to me, as I have said before, if a belief in religion is so offensive to you, and you think it is such a silly thing to believe in religion, it's pretty odd that you would spend so much time posting in an area of the board that deals with religion. I would think you would have better things to do with your time. I bet if the truth was really known, you use this soap box to get attention the same way that Baltimore Bob uses his to get attention. I think you're a sick puppy. Either that, or you're just trolling and trying to be generally obnoxious.:cuckoo:

It's pretty much a historical thing, JB.

Difficult to change what is now centuries of "tradition",

Slavery was tradition. The oppression of women was tradition. Polygamy and marrying 12-year-old girls were tradition. Sacrificing goats was tradition. Segregated restaurants was tradition. Only allowing people to marry within their own race was tradition- hell, it was a traditional value. To appeal to tradition to defend discriminatory laws and practices is to say that not only do you lack the strength of character to opposethat which is wrong, but also the moral character to oppose them.

particularly since a little over 75% of Americans claim to be "Christian".

On paper, perhaps. Ask them aboutthe bible's teachings, and very few buy into it. Mostly, they claim to be neochristians to be 'PC' and fiti in. Besides, America if founded on the concept that ll are equal beforethe law, and that sociall equality shouldfollow suit. I have cited several examples of religious discrimination in the law; it appears I am the only one here of a moral enpough character to object to such things.
The founding fathers were "Christian" and I'd be hard-pressed to prove that their beliefs had no influence on how this country and its Constitution were formed.

Have you read the writings of Adamansand Jefferson? Harsh words had they for christianity

You must be reading different stuff than I'm reading.....

You needn't bother wading through all of this. Just go to the last page.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/79494-if-you-are-pro-choice-can-you-be-a-conservative.html

You do realize JB is a prolife atheist.

I don't give a shit what he is. When he and I disagree about something, we manage to do so with civility, which is more than I can say for the majority of my "fellow Christians".

Well, more power to you if you've had 'civil' conversation with him and you disagreed with him. All I have seen from personal experience and in viewing his conversations, as with Care in this very thread, is that he is rude, condescending, insulting, and the list goes on to those he 'disagrees' with. I've seen nothing civil whatsoever.

Ya, the founding fathers were christians, that's why they were so gun obsessed. A free country doesn't need to have its citizens carrying concealed weapons. Jesus would not have approved.

Really? Would you care to quote me a scripture to support the notion that GOD would not approve?

It's pretty much a historical thing, JB.

Difficult to change what is now centuries of "tradition",

Slavery was tradition. The oppression of women was tradition. Polygamy and marrying 12-year-old girls were tradition. Sacrificing goats was tradition. Segregated restaurants was tradition. Only allowing people to marry within their own race was tradition- hell, it was a traditional value. To appeal to tradition to defend discriminatory laws and practices is to say that not only do you lack the strength of character to opposethat which is wrong, but also the moral character to oppose them.

particularly since a little over 75% of Americans claim to be "Christian".

On paper, perhaps. Ask them aboutthe bible's teachings, and very few buy into it. Mostly, they claim to be neochristians to be 'PC' and fiti in. Besides, America if founded on the concept that ll are equal beforethe law, and that sociall equality shouldfollow suit. I have cited several examples of religious discrimination in the law; it appears I am the only one here of a moral enpough character to object to such things.
The founding fathers were "Christian" and I'd be hard-pressed to prove that their beliefs had no influence on how this country and its Constitution were formed.

Have you read the writings of Adamansand Jefferson? Harsh words had they for christianity

Please point out the APPEAL TO TRADITION as opposed to the RELUCTANCE TO or RESISTANCE TO CHANGE FROM TRADITION by the majority.

IF "very few buy into it" then THEY are hypocrites -- plain and simple. Makes them kinda like politicians, heh?

And don't go getting "holier than thou" on me. It doesn't become you. Discrimination is EVERYWHERE and no one gives a fuck! Hell.... I even fight for the poor white males who now seem to be A MINORITY. How the hell did THAT happen? Don't you guys have enough of the RIGHT chromosomes to give out?

And yes.... I seem to recall that not ALL the founders were "hip" on Christianity. Sucks to be in the miniority in a democratic republic, doesn't it?

Forum List

Back