Why do Americans take away health insurance when a person loses a job?

SuperDave said:
I'm new to this site but accuracy doesn't seem to be a real strong point here. The statement says "the crowd yells let him die", this is simply wrong. One, perhaps two, individuals agreed with the hosts suggestion that someone who finds themselves in the position of desperately needing a major medical insurance policy but not having one should not have his medical expenses covered by money confiscated from hard working, tax paying citizens. The "crowd" did no such thing.

BTW as I pointed out I'm new here so I don't know everyone's personality yet but are you aware of how ridiculous it makes you seem when you post comments like Republicans don't like people.

Let me introduce you to conservative heroine and Republican governor...Jan Brewer..

Medicaid Cuts Killing Ariz. Transplant Patients - CBS News

And if that's not enough for ya..

Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's another great tidbit..

Ron Paul to tornado victims: Get insurance, not federal aid | Capitol Hill Blue

Last edited:
SuperDave said:
I'm new to this site but accuracy doesn't seem to be a real strong point here. The statement says "the crowd yells let him die", this is simply wrong. One, perhaps two, individuals agreed with the hosts suggestion that someone who finds themselves in the position of desperately needing a major medical insurance policy but not having one should not have his medical expenses covered by money confiscated from hard working, tax paying citizens. The "crowd" did no such thing.

BTW as I pointed out I'm new here so I don't know everyone's personality yet but are you aware of how ridiculous it makes you seem when you post comments like Republicans don't like people.

Let me introduce you to conservative heroine and Republican governor...Jan Brewer..

Medicaid Cuts Killing Ariz. Transplant Patients - CBS News

And if that's not enough for ya..

Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's another great tidbit..

Ron Paul to tornado victims: Get insurance, not federal aid | Capitol Hill Blue

So you support a mandated health insurance program?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxoN4lfNYY]Mitt RomneyCare: A Way to get the Country Insured - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked in California we had Cigna insurance but had downgraded to Blue Cross to save money. Everybody was disappointed. I didn't really care because it was the first insurance I ever had through an employer and was thrilled. I also had life insurance. I have nothing now. You have to tell doctors to bill you. You can't go to the best doctors either. It sucks.
We downgraded, but thought it was an upgrade (according to our company propaghanda machine) back when we switched insurance companies... Now the situation developed, where as my co-worker went in to get a physical, and he did this because he felt he needed one at 50 years old. He then wildly still ended up with a thousand dollar out of pocket expense in the situation, and he is paying $150 dollars a week for Insurance through the company for this policy...WOW I thought, help the middle is getting killed out here, and no one gives a rats behind about it anymore... It's so sad by what is going on today, and I mean sooooo so sad...

Because of his insurance cost, he barely makes ends meet at the end of the week, especially if it is a slow week..

This guy is a good guy and a hard worker. This company is blessed that he had it going on before he ever came to work here, because if he hadn't of had it prior to coming to work for this company, he would have had to leave by now... It is hard to find a good job these days, but hopefully that is all changing again.. ((((((Hopefully)))))) It is sad to see quality people being run down in this way, it really is, even if I am one of them also, I still feel for those who are stuck in these situations like this....

I think the insurance company ought to be investigated for gouging it's customers is what I think or someone should be investigated..

Last edited:
It's like no one ever heard of COBRA.

Yah COBRA. Everyone can afford 1,300/mo insurance when they lose their job.

Mine nearly doubled when I lost my job several years ago due to outsourcing to INdia.

I can tell you never used COBRA.

The plutocracy offering COBRA to people that can't afford to access the healthcare system-----is like Marie Antoinette offering cake to people without food. ♋

Except that Marie Antoinette headed a -government- that usurped the peoples' wealth until they couldn't manage to feed themselves.

Someone who doesn't give you something that you didn't procure for yourself isn't oppressing you or taking anything from you.

As someone who values individual freedom over entitlement, I don't expect people to pay 3-4 times what they paid before when they're unemployed in order to get COBRA, though I do know some folks (my mother included) who've used COBRA successfully to transition from one employer plan to the next.

I don't -expect- them to do anything. What they do is entirely up to them.

What I would suggest, however, is that people put together a rainy day fund. I lived most of my life in Hawaii, and compared to the cost of living in most places in the country, Hawaii's pretty expensive. However, even in places with high rent (which tend to have higher low-end thresholds for govt assistance and higher average salaries), it's possible, even in low wage positions that provide enough hours to make you eligible for health coverage, to budget yourself properly, pay for the essentials, and still put money away in case of emergencies if you exercise self control and don't try to live outside your means.

Don't get me wrong. I'm well aware that this is not a comprehensive solution that will cover everyone, especially during economic downturns wherein it might take a year or more to find a new job. However, if you're under the impression that universal, government provided health care would shield people from the adverse health care effects of an economic downturn, you're sadly mistaken. The UK, for instance, is currently rationing cancer medicines to deal with economic shortfalls in covering their universal healthcare. The only difference is that, when the government controls healthcare, they get to decide who bears the brunt of the punishment resulting from funding shortfalls, whereas in a free market, those who are able to procure coverage get it. Personally, I prefer to live or die on my own feet rather than hold my hand out to Uncle Sam and hope he decides that I'm one of the sick people who gets treatment.

Lastly, I look at it like this. Freedom > entitlement. Freedom = self determination. Self determination = power over your own actions. With power comes responsibility. Don't want the responsibility that comes with self determination? Then please, move to a country that values entitlement over freedom. This is the one place on the planet based on a philosophy that freedom is the higher value. Please leave this -one- country to the free thinkers. If your collectivist economics prove superior, we free thinkers are doomed to decline anyway, and eventually the collectivists will have the wealth and thus the influence to do with the globe as they wish, so it really shouldn't be a big problem for you.

It's not really Americans..it's republicans.

They don't like people.

:thup: True story.

If you think it makes people look ridiculous when they post comments like "Republicans don't like people" you are in for a treat staying here. We have people here who believe Obama is not a natural born citizen :cuckoo:

You may view taxes as confiscation, but in a representative government we the people give the government the power to tax us. It is more akin to voluntary payments than confiscation. facts can suck :eusa_whistle:

As someone who values individual freedom over entitlement, I don't expect people to pay 3-4 times what they paid before when they're unemployed in order to get COBRA, though I do know some folks (my mother included) who've used COBRA successfully to transition from one employer plan to the next.

I don't -expect- them to do anything. What they do is entirely up to them....

COBRA is fine for minor medical coverage in situations like changing jobs. Get really ill and COBRA is a friggin' joke.

An interesting question was posed on the Sick Around The World | FRONTLINE | PBS

"I don't understand why in America you would take away the health insurance when a person loses his job. Isn't that when she needs it?"

Read more: Advice For Consumers | Sick Around America | FRONTLINE | PBS

Because someone still has to pay for it and the government idiotically tied it to employment through tax policies?

Really? Life must have been wonderful for the average American before FDR.

:eusa_shhh:

I don't -expect- them to do anything. What they do is entirely up to them....

COBRA is fine for minor medical coverage in situations like changing jobs. Get really ill and COBRA is a friggin' joke.

When economic times are good it's not a problem to hop quickly from one job to the next without a lot of downtime between full employee coverage. Keep in mind that mandated health care doesn't make procurement of treatment any more immune to economic swings than it is in a private market system. You're really just arguing over who gets fucked out of treatment and why. When a government run system gets hit by funding and supply shortages, I don't wanna be theoretically able to command the wealth necessary to procure the treatment if I were given the opportunity, but have the government tell me that my particular condition, or my age, or due to whatever facet of my situation's nature, I'm part of the expendable fringe, too bad so sad, or perhaps that I get partial treatment only, like cancer patients in the UK, because there's just not enough to go around. Sorry if this doesn't sound humanitarian, but if/when the shit hits the fan, I'd prefer the opportunity to fight for my coverage and that of my loved ones than to sacrifice my/their health in degrees to make sure that everything goes around in a manner that the government decides is fair.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back