Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush administration?

Oh, but we did, ad nauseum.... Every time lib cryasses bitched and moaned about "tax cuts for the rich".

Nevermind that the tax cuts were pretty puny in the grand scheme of things and that the debt had been on track to explode starting in 2003, for about 20 years.

mythbusted.jpg

We didn't? Obviously someone wasnt listening.

You people aren't getting it.

When a budget is announced, and it's in the red, the media goes nuts.

When a budget is announced and it's in the black, no one says a word.

Bush's budgets didn't include the wars, so they didn't show huge deficits. The national debt grew but the accounting wasn't out in the open. It was hidden in war supplemental funding.

So what your saying is that no one knew that Bush was spending tons of money in wars or expanding the national debt? Then what on the world has the left been whining about the past 8 years???

Wow. OK reading comprehension is a problem. Let me try to put it simply for you.

Bush's budget didn't include war spending.

Obama's budget includes war spending.

You call it whining when when it's about war supplemental spending.

Do you think it's whining when it's about Obama's budget deficit?

You people aren't getting it.

When a budget is announced, and it's in the red, the media goes nuts.

When a budget is announced and it's in the black, no one says a word.

Bush's budgets didn't include the wars, so they didn't show huge deficits. The national debt grew but the accounting wasn't out in the open. It was hidden in war supplemental funding.

So what your saying is that no one knew that Bush was spending tons of money in wars or expanding the national debt? Then what on the world has the left been whining about the past 8 years???

Wow. OK reading comprehension is a problem. Let me try to put it simply for you.

Bush's budget didn't include war spending.

Obama's budget includes war spending.

You call it whining when when it's about war supplemental spending.

Do you think it's whining when it's about Obama's budget deficit?

easy, freddie. easy.

Oh, but we did, ad nauseum.... Every time lib cryasses bitched and moaned about "tax cuts for the rich".

Nevermind that the tax cuts were pretty puny in the grand scheme of things and that the debt had been on track to explode starting in 2003, for about 20 years.

Bush's tax cuts for the rich cost us almost a trillion dollars of deficit spending. Bush never paid for those tax cuts.

You think a trillion dollars is puny?

You think it's cryasses bitching and moaning about deficit spending?

What happened to fiscally responsible Republicans?

That's the myth that's been busted. There's been no such Republicans since the Reagan admin.

Bush's tax cuts for the rich cost us almost a trillion dollars of deficit spending. Bush never paid for those tax cuts.

That's the myth that's been busted. There's been no such Republicans since the Reagan admin.

what about his tax cuts for the middle class and poor? i'm not rich and they saved me $2400 last year.

Shrubbie's wimpy tax cuts have amounted to less than 1% of total GDP over the period of time that they've been in effect....That's the fact.

The deficit and debt have been on track to start going back out of control since at least 1992, when Perot was pointing out that very fact with very (dare I say) conservative numbers form the CBO.

Fact remains that every time the left rightly gets gigged for their profligate spending, all they can do is whine-n-cry about BOOOOOOOOOSH!

Nope...Not a dadgummed dime's worth of difference.....

Shrubbie's wimpy tax cuts have amounted to less than 1% of total GDP over the period of time that they've been in effect....That's the fact.

The deficit and debt have been on track to start going back out of control since at least 1992, when Perot was pointing out that very fact with very (dare I say) conservative numbers form the CBO.

Fact remains that every time the left rightly gets gigged for their profligate spending, all they can do is whine-n-cry about BOOOOOOOOOSH!

Nope...Not a dadgummed dime's worth of difference.....

what about a penny's worth?

Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush

Which rock were you living under?

Point me in the direction of all those tea baggers who were out there screaming about the Bush deficit spending.

:lol:

Me, for one. Somehow you are under the mistaken assumption that people who attend the Tea Party rallies are Neoconservatives. And if that was somehow true, there are still plenty of democrats, moderates, independents, libertarians, conservatives, etc., who were complaining about the deficits now and during the Bush Administration.

So serious question: Which rock were you living under during the Bush years?

"Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush administration?"

I don't know why YOU didn't here about it.

Maybe you should join the Libertarian Party?

The Obama Administration has been pretty silent about Deficite Spending until last Tuesday.

I wonder what happened LAST TUESDAY to capture the sudden interest in controlling Government spending.....

:eusa_think::eusa_think:

Obama campaigned on getting rid of wasteful spending. There's nothing sudden about this. The sudden calamity was the economic disastor in 2008. That's what caused the huge spending of last year.

obamabudget.jpg

Bush Deficit vs. Obama Deficit in Pictures | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.
(Graphic from the Washington Post)

•President Bush expanded the federal budget by a historic $700 billion through 2008. President Obama would add another $1 trillion.

•President Bush began a string of expensive finan*cial bailouts. President Obama is accelerating that course.

•President Bush created a Medicare drug entitle*ment that will cost an estimated $800 billion in its first decade. President Obama has proposed a $634 billion down payment on a new govern*ment health care fund.

•President Bush increased federal education spending 58 percent faster than inflation. Presi*dent Obama would double it.

•President Bush became the first President to spend 3 percent of GDP on federal antipoverty programs. President Obama has already in*creased this spending by 20 percent.

•President Bush tilted the income tax burden more toward upper-income taxpayers. President Obama would continue that trend.

•President Bush presided over a $2.5 trillion increase in the public debt through 2008. Setting aside 2009 (for which Presidents Bush and Obama share responsibility for an additional $2.6 trillion in public debt), President Obama’s budget would add $4.9 trillion in public debt from the beginning of 2010 through 2016.

As to... "Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush administration?"

Answer - You didn't read the NYT or WaPo or the internet? You did not watch CNN or FOX News? In other words, what's this "we" stuff kemosabe?

I don't know where your graph is from but it's not accurate.

Can you explain where the 6 trillion dollars is in that graph? because it shows less than that, and the national debt grew by 6 trillion during the Bush years.

As I noted, the graph is from the left of center Washington Post.

The link would have provided you with another aid too...

UPDATE: Many Obama defenders in the comments are claiming that the numbers above do not include spending on Iraq and Afghanistan during the Bush years. They most certainly do. While Bush did fund the wars through emergency supplementals (not the regular budget process), that spending did not simply vanish. It is included in the numbers above. Also, some Obama defenders are claiming the graphic above represents biased Heritage Foundation numbers. While we stand behind the numbers we put out 100%, the numbers, and the graphic itself, above are from the Washington Post. We originally left out the link to WaPo. It has been now been added.

CLARIFICATION: Of course, this Washington Post graphic does not perfectly delineate budget surpluses and deficits by administration. President Bush took office in January 2001, and therefore played a lead role in crafting the FY 2002-2008 budgets. Presidents Bush and Obama share responsibility for the FY 2009 budget deficit that overlaps their administrations, before President Obama assumes full budgetary responsibility beginning in FY 2010. Overall, President Obama’s budget would add twice as much debt as President Bush over the same number of years.

In short, the "Bush" deficit was terrible and the "Obama" deficit will be much worse.

Last edited:

what about his tax cuts for the middle class and poor? i'm not rich and they saved me $2400 last year.

I didn't get a tax cut. What was yours in, capital gains?

During the Bush years, the cost of both wars was never included in the budget. As soon as Obama took office, both wars were suddenly included, which of course made the true deficit skyrocket.

Also, Bush, as with most Republicans, used what is called, "creative bookkeeping". Projecting revenues or savings that "might" happen into a "real" budget.

Only Republicans believe that we can fight two wars, cut taxes, cut education, shift the tax burden to the middle class, send jobs overseas and the result will be a "growing and robust economy". I just don't get it. Then when their "mess" doesn't work, they complain it wasn't "true conservatism".

Can you say the 'Enron Accounting Method'. After all, 'Kenny Boy' was one of Dubya's best friends and business partners.

I didn't get a tax cut.

hmmm. can't figure that out. maybe you need a better accountant.

I didn't get a tax cut. What was yours in, capital gains?

nope. I have very little stock. what did you do? have h&r block do your taxes? :lol:

seriously, i've tried to tell uber libs this and they can't accept it. at the time i was in school and not making a lot of money, yet i got the tax cuts (actually rebate). the old guy next to me on a fixed income, partial supp income, got the tax cuts, and on and on.....ironically the old guy, a repub, thought it was stupid as since he was single, what the darn hell is $600 bucks going to for him....

the fact is, the tax cut/rebate he gave both times put money into mostly the lower to middle class folks. if you made over a certain amount, you didn't get the bush rebate.

most libs accept this, but the uber left continues in denial

As I noted, the graph is from the left of center Washington Post.

The link would have provided you with another aid too...

As I asked, where's the 6 trillion dollars in that graph?

The Bush admin added 6 trillion dollars onto our national debt. Your graph does not show 6 trillion dollars. Therefore it's a false graph.

09/30/2009 11,909,829,003,511.75
09/30/2008 10,024,724,896,912.49
09/30/2007 9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 7,379,052,696,330.32
09/30/2003 6,783,231,062,743.62
09/30/2002 6,228,235,965,597.16
09/30/2001 5,807,463,412,200.06
09/30/2000 5,674,178,209,886.86

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2009

seriously, i've tried to tell uber libs this and they can't accept it. at the time i was in school and not making a lot of money, yet i got the tax cuts (actually rebate). the old guy next to me on a fixed income, partial supp income, got the tax cuts, and on and on.....ironically the old guy, a repub, thought it was stupid as since he was single, what the darn hell is $600 bucks going to for him....

the fact is, the tax cut/rebate he gave both times put money into mostly the lower to middle class folks. if you made over a certain amount, you didn't get the bush rebate.

most libs accept this, but the uber left continues in denial

exactly.
all they have to do is look at the brackets. if they want a discussion about whether tax cuts across the board is right or wrong, I'll have it with them. but all they have to do is look at the brackets.
the 25 percent became the 15 percent. the 15 became the 10, etc. the 38 became the 35. oh no.

Forum List

Back