Why did zimmerman feel the need for a carry permit in sanford fl ?

While I don't feel (too much of) a need for one here in Indiana, I'm leaning that way more lately. As Zimmerman said in his call to 911 "there have been a lot of break-ins around here lately," and were that the case in my own neighborhood, I would arm myself; legally.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the racial issues with Zimmerman, people in his neighborhood knew that he was on the look-out. That kind of surveillance ought to have a positive effect, on drug dealing, instances of rape, break-ins, and safety for children and the elderly.

I don't see how anyone could take on that responsibility without carrying a gun and being trained to use it if the need arises.

We have no evidence of that. Listening to his comments (un-edited) doesn't reveal that. My own take is that he was a giving person willing to put his own personal safety on the line in a potentially dangerous service to his community.

• Banned
Is George Zimmerman our new Bernard Goetz, who shot 4 black muggers in NYC in 1984?
Bernhard Hugo Goetz (born November 7, 1947) is an American man best known for shooting four young men who tried to mug him on a New York City Subway train. He came to symbolize New Yorkers’ frustrations with the high crime rates of the early 1980s. The incident occurred on a No. 2 train in Manhattan on December 22, 1984. It sparked a nationwide debate on race and crime in major cities, and the legal limits of self-defense.

Goetz fired an revolver five times, seriously wounding all the alleged muggers. Following this incident, he was dubbed the "Subway Vigilante" by the New York press, and was praised in the media and in public opinion.

He surrendered to police nine days later and was falsely charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and several firearms offenses, due to political pressure from black political groups.

While I don't feel (too much of) a need for one here in Indiana, I'm leaning that way more lately. As Zimmerman said in his call to 911 "there have been a lot of break-ins around here lately," and were that the case in my own neighborhood, I would arm myself; legally.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the racial issues with Zimmerman, people in his neighborhood knew that he was on the look-out. That kind of surveillance ought to have a positive effect, on drug dealing, instances of rape, break-ins, and safety for children and the elderly.

I don't see how anyone could take on that responsibility without carrying a gun and being trained to use it if the need arises

I worked security dealing with street people in parkades..never had a gun..never had to kill anyone

Is George Zimmerman our new Bernard Goetz, who shot 4 black muggers in NYC in 1984?
Bernhard Hugo Goetz (born November 7, 1947) is an American man best known for shooting four young men who tried to mug him on a New York City Subway train. He came to symbolize New Yorkers’ frustrations with the high crime rates of the early 1980s. The incident occurred on a No. 2 train in Manhattan on December 22, 1984. It sparked a nationwide debate on race and crime in major cities, and the legal limits of self-defense.

Goetz fired an revolver five times, seriously wounding all the alleged muggers. Following this incident, he was dubbed the "Subway Vigilante" by the New York press, and was praised in the media and in public opinion.

He surrendered to police nine days later and was falsely charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and several firearms offenses, due to political pressure from black political groups.

there is no comparison...and it was not that he defended himself that nailed him it was the fact he walked up to one and said you dont look hurt too bad here is another and shot him a second time

• Banned
AND THESE FINE YOUNG BLACK ROLE MODELS GOETZ SHOT ?

Ramseur, who had been holding a screwdriver during the incident, was shot in the chest and lapsed into a coma. The other teens were also seriously wounded, with Cabey sustaining the worst injuries—he's still wheelchair-bound and, according to the Post, functions with "the intellect of an eight-year-old." The Daily News reports that during Goetz's trial, Ramseur "was held in contempt of court at least six times for refusing to testify. He acted belligerently each time he took the stand, denouncing the legal system before being ushered out by armed guards." A mostly white jury ultimately acquitted Goetz of all four counts of attempted murder, but found him guilty of illegal weapons possession, for which he did several months in Rikers.

As for Ramseur, within a year of the shooting, he was arrested for helping to rape a pregnant teen at gunpoint on a Bronx rooftop. After spending 25 years in prison, he was released less than a year-and-a-half ago. Goetz is still alive, but could not be reached for comment on Ramseur's apparent suicide. In an interview with the NY Times in the '80s, he said, the teens he shot "represented the failure of society.... Forget about they're ever making a positive contribution to society. It's only a question of how much a price they're going to cost. The solution is their mothers should have had an abortion."

lately. As Zimmerman said in his call to 911 "there have been a lot of break-ins around here lately," and were that the case in my own neighborhood, I would arm myself; legally.

I don't see how anyone could take on that responsibility without carrying a gun and being trained to use it if the need arises
.[/quote]

I worked security dealing with street people in parkades..never had a gun..never had to kill anyone[/QUOTE]

If that word was PARADES, then I can easily understand that. Deadly weapons in that kind of duty would be completely out of place. Security in a neighborhood which has suffered break-ins and other crimes, typically committed by people wandering around in hoods in the rear of buildings or otherwise shielding their identity? I wouldn't take the job. But if I did I would either want immediate back-up (a fellow sentry; did you have that?) or I would want to be armed.

Forum List

Back