Why Did The South Secede?

So, ...you believe that South seceded because the North was about to outlaw slavery?

Yes. That is just what I believe.

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.
8220 Corner Stone 8221 Speech Teaching American History

Then how do you address the contradictions that Lincoln stated in his first inaugural...that the federal government had no power to terminate slavery and he went on to say the slavery could exist in perpetuity?

The topic of the thread is "Why did the South secede"

Seems like Stephens is telling you why

Actually, I told you the real reason.

You should learn to accept every word I post as golden.

So, ...you believe that South seceded because the North was about to outlaw slavery?

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.

Then how do you address the contradictions that Lincoln stated in his first inaugural...that the federal government had no power to terminate slavery and he went on to say the slavery could exist in perpetuity?

As usual, you fail to comprehend.

The question to the poster was:

Do I need to spell it out for you?

The answer is obviously YES

The traitorous south was making a fortune in dominating the worldwide cotton trade. They were in danger of losing their free labor if Lincoln became President

Forming a new country which ensured the bondage of other human beings to protect their income source was their solution

It is clear you do not know what you are posting.

Lincoln made it clear on numerous occasions, that the South could keep slavery as long as they stayed in the Union and abided by Union laws.

So tell me again how was it that the North was about to outlaw slavery, when Lincoln clearly had no intention to do so?

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

Actually, I told you the real reason.

You should learn to accept every word I post as golden.

I know you did

They seceeded to prevent Obama from ever becoming President

Good theory

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

The traitorous south was making a fortune in dominating the worldwide cotton trade. They were in danger of losing their free labor if Lincoln became President

Forming a new country which ensured the bondage of other human beings to protect their income source was their solution

Lincoln made it clear on numerous occasions, that the South could keep slavery as long as they stayed in the Union and abided by Union laws.

So tell me again how was it that the North was about to outlaw slavery, when Lincoln clearly had no intention to do so?

Tell you?

Tell the South who seceded before Lincoln even took office

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

Tell you?

I know you are not too bright, so I will try to keep it simple.

You think the South went to war because the North was about to outlaw slavery. Now this view contradicts the words of Lincoln, who stated many times that the fed gov could NOT outlaw slavery. So again...what makes you think the fed gov planned to outlaw slavery?

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

Tell you?

You think the South went to war because the North was about to outlaw slavery. Now this view contradicts the words of Lincoln, who stated many times that the fed gov could NOT outlaw slavery. So again...what makes you think the fed gov planned to outlaw slavery?

For some odd reason....the South did not trust what Lincoln was saying

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

Tell you?

For some odd reason....the South did not trust what Lincoln was saying

Okay...after all those posts we finally get to an answer.

Do you have any legitimate historical proof to back your belief that the South went to war because they believed Lincoln intended to outlaw slavery?

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

In that case, you're wrong.

Not a new condition for you.

PC can't simply disagree, she must always add the personal attack - I guess it makes her feel superior, and that suggests on some level she knows how prosaic she is, and appears to most of us.

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

Tell you?

Maybe those in the south were not too bright and a bit paranoid? Given the posts by our neighbors to the south, such a theory seems highly likely.

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

Tell you?

Maybe those in the south were not too bright and a bit paranoid? Given the posts by our neighbors to the south, such a theory seems highly likely.

If the south was anything like today, you can see why they seceded

Just like they threatened during the Civil Rights era and when we elected a "negro" President

Pull out those states rights!

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

PC can't simply disagree, she must always add the personal attack - I guess it makes her feel superior, and that suggests on some level she knows how prosaic she is, and appears to most of us.

Wadda ya' mean FEEL superior??????

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

I guessed it made you feel superior, I'm sure others believe, as do I, that prosaic fits you like a second skin.

One state mentioning Lincoln's hostility to slavery does not indicate South Carolina's desire to go to war to keep slavery. It also does not prove that the entire Confederacy went to war to keep slavery. Yes SC used Lincoln's hostility toward slavery as one reason for seceding, but the bigger reason was the subversion of the Constitution by the fed gov.

The Confederacy went to war because Lincoln invaded. Had Lincoln not invaded, the Civil War would never have occurred. So logically, the war was started and prosecuted by Lincoln and not the seceding states.

One state mentioning Lincoln's hostility to slavery does not indicate South Carolina's desire to go to war to keep slavery. It also does not prove that the entire Confederacy went to war to keep slavery. Yes SC used Lincoln's hostility toward slavery as one reason for seceding, but the bigger reason was the subversion of the Constitution by the fed gov.

The Confederacy went to war because Lincoln invaded. Had Lincoln not invaded, the Civil War would never have occurred. So logically, the war was started and prosecuted by Lincoln and not the seceding states.

Lincoln invaded Ft Sumter?

LOL, how might Lincoln have invaded property already owned by the Federal Government?

See: The First Shot of the Civil War 1861

No, the reason is the same one that bases Barack Obama's foreign policy: a misunderstanding of geopolitical realities.

1. You see, the South believed that they ruled the world.
Really. Ruled!

Whether or not they imagined that they could defeat the North militarily, they fervently believed that they could oblige....compel... the greatest military power in the world to back them.

2. "TheUnion blockadein theAmerican Civil War was a naval tactic by the Northern government to prevent the Confederacy from trading. The blockade was proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln in April 1861, and required the closure of 3,500 miles (5,600 km) of Atlantic and Gulf coastline, ..."
Union blockade - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

a. "In January, 1861, De Bow’s Reviewcontained an article declaring that “the first demonstration of blockade of the Southern ports would be swept away by the English fleets of observation hovering on the Southern coasts,..."
Great Britain and the American Civil War eBook

3. Why? Certainly, the English disgust with the practice of slavery wouldn't allow them to run....or sail....to the Confederacy's side?

So what made the Southerners believe that the had Britain in their pocket?

a. "Like all educated Southerners in the summer of 1861, [they] hoped one morning to hear the news that Great Britain had recognized the independence of the Confederate States. In May a delegation of rebel commissioners, headed by William Lowndes Yancey, had arrived in London for an audience with the British foreign secretary, Lord John Russell. The rebels took great heart from what was said. Russell had discussed the constitutional rights of secession, and Yancey had pledged the South's desire for free trade, reminding the British minister of the importance to his people of Southern cotton. Russell's principal concern, however, was the issue of the African slave trade. He had heard that the Confederate government was keen to restore this abomination. Was this true? Yancey reassured Russell that the South "had prohibited the slave-trade, and did not mean to revive it."

Lord Russell was in a tricky position, as were all the members of the British government. Though they opposed slavery, three wasn't a true democrat among them, not in the mold of Abraham Lincoln [who] could never have risen to become a British minister; to be that, one had to have been born into privilege, with wealth and property the only prerequisites. The members of the British government believed in "aristocratic government," and anyone who challenged them was crushed mercilessly......therefore, ministers such as Lord Russell and the prime minister, seventy-seven-year-old Lord Palmerston, had more in common with the Confederate government than they did with the Federal. Lincoln's administration believed in equal rights and espoused the cause of the workingman, themes that were anathema to the British government."
"Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy,"byGavin Mortimer, p.70-71

What was the hold that the Confederacy mistakenly believed would bring Britain to their cause?
The answer is in the section above.
These are actually symptoms of a long standing struggle by the South to retain a balance of power in the Congress, specifically in the Senate.

As the country expanded westward, it was becoming apparent that the North was bent on gaining control of the Senate by promoting the inclusion of states that were anti-slavery over of the inclusion of new states that were pro-slavery. This is indicative of the skirmishes that happened at the time between what would become the States of Kansas and Missouri. John Brown first came to notoriety as the abolitionist who was involved in the incident usually referred to as "Bleeding Kansas". He was also involved in the Harper Ferry Armory raid just prior to the onset of the Civil War.

However, the biggest driving factor for the Civil War was the Souths Fear of losing the balance of power in the Congress.

Gip, all the evidence indicates the major reason was that the South was afraid it could not practice states' rights in continuing to enslave humans.

Conversation paperview who can give you a thorough seminar on the issue, because you seem to be working from confirmation bias unfounded on the evidence as a whole.

------------

“Corner Stone” Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861

I guessed it made you feel superior, I'm sure others believe, as do I, that prosaic fits you like a second skin.

Midgets like you attempt to contend.....how could I not feel superior??

I mean, really.

Forum List

Back