Why Did The Ice Sheets Melt 10,000 Years Ago?

Bart

Rookie
May 16, 2004
California
What I am asking is why it happened. I understand the Earth warmed but why did it warm. Was it because the sun’s output went up or something else? Since there is a great debate now about the climate and its changing, I want to know why it warmed up and why it cooled down to form the ice sheets in the first palce?

:confused:

I don't know, but it was surely the fault of humans...and of course cow farts.

CowFartUnits_Schedule_UN.gif

What I am asking is why it happened. I understand the Earth warmed but why did it warm. Was it because the sun’s output went up or something else? Since there is a great debate now about the climate and its changing, I want to know why it warmed up and why it cooled down to form the ice sheets in the first palce?

OMFG, You don't even know what caused the fucking ice ages? Hint-> Milankovitch cycles,. They caused a decrease with solar energy within the polar and arctic parts of earth, which allowed for more ice to remain year around. As the ice grew in size and scale it helped lower the avg temperature of the earth, which was a feed back that grew the ice sheets even more.

Orbit and Axial tilt (obliquity of the earth.) being the main factors. Also what got us into the ice age in the first place 20,000,000 years ago was a decrease in Atmospheric co2. Most likely because of india slamming into Asia. Co2 was as much as 1,200-2,000 ppm 40 million years ago and as high as 3,000 ppm 100-150 million years ago.

If you can't except this then how the fuck can you except that the earth was ever warmer then today? As the data that gave us the idea above are the same that gave us the thinking that it was much warmer 20, 40, 100 million years ago.

What got us out of the glacial? Lets just say that the orbit and axial tilt changed to favor more solar energy within the polar and arctic area's of the earth. Same reason that we're shitting our pants about the decrease of arctic sea ice as ice reflects solar energy back to space, while open water takes it up and causes a warming.

Last edited:

You sound like you might have about the scientific understanding, education and intuitive understanding that I have which ain't much.

Here is an excellent site for those of us who go comatose at the site of the Periodic Table. It presents the whole argument for both sides using the data in understandable pictures charts and graphs.

The Milankovitch Cycles are depicted along with the recurring Ice ages and the Interglacials. Interesting stuff.

Global Warming Art

Bart.........the k00ks never have a good answer to your question.........the best they do is throw out this "cycle" crap, which doesnt work anymore.......taken a back seat to greenhouse gases. These people have perfected the art of being cameleons.

OK

You want a definition for the word "disconnect"? Hang out in this forum for a few weeks.

Fact is, no warming has occurred since 1998 and the global warming science community has been falling all over themselves to manipulate the data to make it look otherwise.................http://www.businessinsider.com/what-ever-happened-to-global-warming-2011-7.............its become a whole industry.

Last edited:
So the Earth is on a 400,000 year cycle with mini-cycles inside that. Now the sun has constance output. Therefore we can expect a new ice age shortly. Opps, I mean a hot period until the evil humans are gone.

:eek:

So the Earth is on a 400,000 year cycle with mini-cycles inside that. Now the sun has constance output. Therefore we can expect a new ice age shortly. Opps, I mean a hot period until the evil humans are gone.

:eek:

Perhaps before displaying your enormous ignorance on this subject, you should try a little research. You have the means right in front of you.

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

Lil' bitty particles w-a-y up inna air slowin' down human-induced global warming...
:eusa_eh:
Study: Upper-Atmosphere Particles Slow Pace of Global Warming
August 09, 2011 : A recent study finds tiny particles suspended high in Earth’s atmosphere are having a greater impact on global climate than previously believed. The airborne particles, known as aerosols, are blocking radiation from the sun, and that’s cooling the Earth's surface. According to an international team of climate researchers, this cooling has been significant enough over the past decade to slow human-induced global warming.
Predicting future weather events has always been an uncertain affair, but for climate scientists today, one thing is certain: the earth’s atmosphere is getting hotter. Global average temperatures have risen steadily during the past century, due largely to the rising concentration of CO2 and other industrial greenhouse gas emissions. But John Daniel, climate scientist at the federal government’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Colorado, says a closer look at the data over the past decade revealed an anomaly. “Since about 2001, it appears that the globally-averaged temperature has stopped going up as fast as it was going up in the decades before,” Daniel said.

Meaning that the Earth is still warming, but at a slower-than-expected-pace. Daniel says neither climate scientists nor computer climate models predicted the slowdown. So Daniel, along with his U.S. and French collaborators, began to study systems that are not typically considered in atmospheric models, processes that could explain the slowing of the temperature increase. “We also noticed that if you look at satellite observations, and you can also look at ground based observations from [the Hawaiian mountaintop observatory at] Mauna Loa, you see that stratospheric aerosols have been going up over this period. A lot of people in their models, after about the year 2000, neglected the impact of stratospheric aerosols,” Daniel said.

Most of us are familiar with low-altitude aerosols: soot and other fine particulates from factories and vehicles that make up city smog. But Daniel says that unlike global-warming culprits such as atmospheric carbon dioxide, high-altitude aerosols actually cool the planet. “The reason that these aerosols exert a cooling influence is because they reflect sunlight back to space that would have made it to the ground. Our understanding that stratospheric aerosols cool is not new. We've known that for a long time,” Daniel said.

So why weren’t climate scientists accounting for the stratospheric aerosols in the first place? Although they are common closer to Earth, they are less abundant in the stratosphere. Terry Deshler, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Wyoming, explains. "So a volcano such as [Mount] Pinatubo [in the Phillipines] threw a lot of aerosol particles up into the stratosphere and those probably were gone in about one year. But it also threw up a lot of sulfur gas. And all the sulfur in the stratosphere gets converted into sulfuric acid droplets. These particles are so small that gravity has a very slow [small] role so that the aerosol from the Pinatubo eruption persisted in the stratosphere for about 5 or 6 years,” Deshler said.

MORE

OMFG, You don't even know what caused the fucking ice ages? Hint-> Milankovitch cycles,. They caused a decrease with solar energy within the polar and arctic parts of earth, which allowed for more ice to remain year around. As the ice grew in size and scale it helped lower the avg temperature of the earth, which was a feed back that grew the ice sheets even more.

Orbit and Axial tilt (obliquity of the earth.) being the main factors. Also what got us into the ice age in the first place 20,000,000 years ago was a decrease in Atmospheric co2. Most likely because of india slamming into Asia. Co2 was as much as 1,200-2,000 ppm 40 million years ago and as high as 3,000 ppm 100-150 million years ago.

If you can't except this then how the fuck can you except that the earth was ever warmer then today? As the data that gave us the idea above are the same that gave us the thinking that it was much warmer 20, 40, 100 million years ago.

What got us out of the glacial? Lets just say that the orbit and axial tilt changed to favor more solar energy within the polar and arctic area's of the earth. Same reason that we're shitting our pants about the decrease of arctic sea ice as ice reflects solar energy back to space, while open water takes it up and causes a warming.

WOW!!!

You seriously just went off on someone for lack of knowledge on this subject like that when you gripe at me for calling willfully ignorant oldsocks and kornhole tools...:eusa_hand:

I suppose I should be pleased that you didn't call the current warming man induced..

You sound like you might have about the scientific understanding, education and intuitive understanding that I have which ain't much.

Here is an excellent site for those of us who go comatose at the site of the Periodic Table. It presents the whole argument for both sides using the data in understandable pictures charts and graphs.

The Milankovitch Cycles are depicted along with the recurring Ice ages and the Interglacials. Interesting stuff.

Global Warming Art
Ice_Age_Temperature_Rev.png

I found this chart from your link most interesting.

It looks like the interglacial warm periods are rather short, 10,000 years or less compared to the ice ages, about 100,000 years. Our present interglacial warm period is about 11 or 12 thousand years. According to the Milankovitch we should have been cooling for hundreds if not thousands of years. Something seems to have, at least temporarily, thrown the Milankovitch cycle a bit out of whack, as we are warming instead of cooling. We started to cool during the Little Ice Age, corresponding to the Milankovitch cycle, but something outside the Milankovitch cycle disrupted the cycle and ended the Little Ice Age!

What do you think that might be?

Bart.........the k00ks never have a good answer to your question.........the best they do is throw out this "cycle" crap, which doesnt work anymore.......taken a back seat to greenhouse gases. These people have perfected the art of being cameleons.

OK

You want a definition for the word "disconnect"? Hang out in this forum for a few weeks.

Fact is, no warming has occurred since 1998 and the global warming science community has been falling all over themselves to manipulate the data to make it look otherwise.................So, Climatologists.............its become a whole industry.
Whenever CON$ say "fact is" you know it isn't!!!

The decade following 1998 has been the warmest decade in the history of direct instrument measurement!!! So much for the BULLSHIT that no warming has occurred since 1998, and therefore the crap about manipulating the data is obviously unnecessary and just more BULLSHIT.

OK

Fact is, no warming has occurred since 1998 and the global warming science community has been falling all over themselves to manipulate the data to make it look otherwise.................So, Climatologists.............its become a whole industry.

The decade following 1998 has been the warmest decade in the history of direct instrument measurement!!! So much for the BULLSHIT that no warming has occurred since 1998, and therefore the crap about manipulating the data is obviously unnecessary and just more BULLSHIT.

Direct instrument measurement... Glad you mentioned that ed...

Care to explain why the great lakes regions had temps of 600+ degrees added into the satelite data from the NOAA? How about the 400 degrees and up? Or the measurements of lake erie being at boiling point?

Yeah best not use that excuse anymore pal, they are in trouble as it is...

NOAA caught in temperature fraud..”SatelliteGate” will deliver a new blow to the AGW scam « Follow The Money

OK

Care to explain why the great lakes regions had temps of 600+ degrees added into the satelite data from the NOAA? How about the 400 degrees and up? Or the measurements of lake erie being at boiling point?

NOAA caught in temperature fraud..”SatelliteGate” will deliver a new blow to the AGW scam « Follow The Money

Care to explain why any scientifically minded person should waste their time on a conspiracy theory blog?

Care to explain why any scientifically minded person should waste their time on a conspiracy theory blog?

Care to explain why you didn't read the article? If you had you could follow the links for yourself. But since you didn't want to here are more links on it...

Satellite-gate - Your News - Inner West Courier

Climate Change Dispatch - Satellite-gate

Others are finally starting to get Satellitegate | Co2 Insanity

Why is it if it co,es from a green blog supporting AGW its perfectly fine, but if it comes from someplace not supporting AGW its a conspiracy site or something else....

Care to explain why you didn't read the article?

I DON'T READ BLOGS

If you had you could follow the links for yourself.
I'm not doing your research for you, if you've got a point to prove its your job to provide the evidence, not me.

But since you didn't want to here are more links on it...

Satellite-gate - Your News - Inner West Courier

Climate Change Dispatch - Satellite-gate

Others are finally starting to get Satellitegate | Co2 Insanity

Why is it if it co,es from a green blog supporting AGW its perfectly fine, but if it comes from someplace not supporting AGW its a conspiracy site or something else....

All blogs. I don't read trash, sorry.

Last edited:

OK

A bunch of allegations with not a scintilla of evidence that can be checked. About as worthless as CON$ervatism.

Here is the satellite data from a denier, who is your MessiahRushie's climatologist, Roy Spencer, who has already been caught fudging the satellite data to make it look like it has been cooling, so you know this is the lowest possible temp data deniers can fudge, and it shows a global decadal trend of +.14C. It comes from a famous denier website. It proves there has been warming in the decade following 1998.

JunkScience.com's "Global Warming" at a glance

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]UAH Global Temperature Report for the current month (The University of Alabama in Huntsville)

[/FONT][FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]Temperature Variation From Average:
Lower Troposphere:
Global:
[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]July 2011: +0.38 °C[/FONT]

Northern Hemisphere: +0.34 °C
Southern Hemisphere: +0.41 °C
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]Peak recorded anomaly:
February, 1998: +0.66 °C
Current relative to peak recorded: -0.28 °C
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]DECADAL TREND:
Global: +0.14 °C
Northern Hemisphere: +0.20 °C
Southern Hemisphere: +0.08 °C
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica]Last update: August 7, 2011[/FONT]

August 9, 2007
RUSH: I got a note here from our official climatologist Roy Spencer, University of Alabama at Huntsville. He is a genuine scientist and has been doing some research and he released the research today in Geophysical Research Letters.

Forum List

Back