Why did Reagan Administration grant tax-free religious status to Scientology?

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Why would Reagan grant tax-free status to a bunch of kooks?

Why would he discriminate against a religion? That's in the liberal playbook, not the conservative playbook.

Good point. Why would a president have to grant something that is already a right? Obama goes even further when it comes to Muslims by giving money to radicals with terrorists ties. I guess the liberals are fine and dandy with that. I guess the poster doesn't think a religion that oppresses and abuses women and vows death to non-Muslims are a bunch of kooks.

This isn't about tax exemption.

Actually, it is. Look at the title of the thread, look at the OP, look at my post that you quoted when you asked your question. THIS THREAD is about the tax exempt status of the Church of Scientology. YOU, on the other hand, only want to talk about how much you hate that church.

The lets move to the Religion forum. The tax question pales in the face of the reports of what they do to people and you're apparently turning a blind eye to. The Catholic Church got much more anger on the board for aberrant priests than actions which are the primary mission of Scientology.

See you there, right? You can continue your defense of the "church". IMO, the only reason they got the exemption is because of political pressure from other religions afraid of losing their own exemption, much like the RCC hiding priests, instead of doing the right thing.

Is this like the best job in the country? "Auditing" hot starlets?

I got your "audit probe" BABY!!

$celeb.jpg

The lets move to the Religion forum. The tax question pales in the face of the reports of what they do to people and you're apparently turning a blind eye to. The Catholic Church got much more anger on the board for aberrant priests than actions which are the primary mission of Scientology.

See you there, right? You can continue your defense of the "church". IMO, the only reason they got the exemption is because of political pressure from other religions afraid of losing their own exemption, much like the RCC hiding priests, instead of doing the right thing.

I don't go into the religion forum much. But just so we're clear, I'm not defending the church. I'm merely defending religious freedom. I have no reason to defend the merits of scientology as a religion. I support the freedom of all people to decide its merits for themselves, and I oppose the government appraising scientology, or any religious position, for such merits or lack thereof.

Which begs the question of why the fuck do they need a union anyway since they cant strike????

They don't and they shouldn't have one. NO public employees have any NEED to have a union. Democrat politicians need them to have one so they can get millions from their dues paying members.

why?......do public employees get treated so good they are dying to get to work everyday?.....they dont get treated like shit?......they have working conditions that are upheld willingly by management?.....and do not private Unions give to the Democrats as well?....and please dont tell me we have OSHA and the Dept of Labor to turn to....cause i just might start laughing....

I guess we can agree on doing away with OSHA and the Dept of Labor since they seem to be a joke to you.

The only reason I commented was because the intent of the OP was to smear President Reagan.

I agree with your analysis of the Scientology cult if you are interested. However, the underlying reason for the uproar, IMO, is the fact that California needs the tax revenue. What better way than having the Scientology cults tax exempt status revoked.

And, that has happened before. Remember that dangerous organization named the Christian Coalition? I believe they lost their tax exemption because they were handing out pamphlets that named their preference in elections. The horror!

There's a big difference between a technical election violation and the kind of criminality CoS engages in. Taxing them really wouldn't go far enough, IMO. I think a RICO prosecution would be more to the point.

I was being a bit sarcastic about the Christian Coalition. Only pointing out that tax exempt status can be and has been taken away.

I don't go into the religion forum much. But just so we're clear, I'm not defending the church. I'm merely defending religious freedom. I have no reason to defend the merits of scientology as a religion. I support the freedom of all people to decide its merits for themselves, and I oppose the government appraising scientology, or any religious position, for such merits or lack thereof.

You're ignoring the claims from ex-Scientologists on the criminality of the organization? That's what I've been talking about in all my posts. The tax thing was tangential and I said that many times, but was labelled a bigot anyway. Were those who pointed out pedophile priests in the RCC, bigots?

They don't and they shouldn't have one. NO public employees have any NEED to have a union. Democrat politicians need them to have one so they can get millions from their dues paying members.

why?......do public employees get treated so good they are dying to get to work everyday?.....they dont get treated like shit?......they have working conditions that are upheld willingly by management?.....and do not private Unions give to the Democrats as well?....and please dont tell me we have OSHA and the Dept of Labor to turn to....cause i just might start laughing....

I guess we can agree on doing away with OSHA and the Dept of Labor since they seem to be a joke to you.

when i get told you dont need a Union because you now have the Dept of Labor and OSHA.......yea i got to laugh.....we had a situation here where someone thought the PO was violating a safety Law....they did not think they were..... so OSHA was informed.....they called their fellow Govt Agency and told them of the safety concern in question.....the PO said they did look into it,and did what they could to eliminate the problem.....OSHA calls the Union and tells them the PO says they took care of it......UNION says no they havent.....this will go on for most of the year.....and its not just one incident.....we have a few going on now......

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Why would Reagan grant tax-free status to a bunch of kooks?

That does it, I'm never voting for Reagan again !

Forum List

Back