Why did Oriental become offensive?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Does anyone remember?

All I know is that for most of my life, oriental was the de facto term used to describe any of the various mongoloid ethnicities of Asia. And then somewhere along the way, I don't remember exactly when, it was brought to my attention that the term oriental is offensive and that I should instead use the term Asian. Clearly that's less accurate, since it's not intended to include many other Asian ethnicities like Indian, Pakistani, Iranian etc., but whatever, I'll call anyone whatever they want to be called. But from a purely intellectual curiosity standpoint, I'd like to understand why the term was deemed to be offensive.

Can anyone explain to me why the term oriental is considered offensive?

no, i can't, and like you, i have no recollection of exactly when it became offensive. it just happened.

my brother in law is chinese, i'll ask him the next time i see him.
he's a good guy so iexpect he won't know either.

I thought Asian was also offensive...didn't Michelle Malkin get bent out of shape because she was referred to as Asian?

• Banned
no, i can't, and like you, i have no recollection of exactly when it became offensive. it just happened.

my brother in law is chinese, i'll ask him the next time i see him.
he's a good guy so iexpect he won't know either.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's being deemed offensive has little if anything to do with Asians actually being offended by it. But I could be wrong.

Does anyone remember?

All I know is that for most of my life, oriental was the de facto term used to describe any of the various mongoloid ethnicities of Asia. And then somewhere along the way, I don't remember exactly when, it was brought to my attention that the term oriental is offensive and that I should instead use the term Asian. Clearly that's less accurate, since it's not intended to include many other Asian ethnicities like Indian, Pakistani, Iranian etc., but whatever, I'll call anyone whatever they want to be called. But from a purely intellectual curiosity standpoint, I'd like to understand why the term was deemed to be offensive.

Good question, I haven't researched that one but I bet (in this country) it goes back to the immigration of the "yellow devils" in the west. Most towns and cities had anti-Chinese committees, then of course there was WWII and the Japanese internment.

My daughter's boyfriend is half Thai on his mother's side.

My boyfriend's mother is from Singapore.

We do love those Asian men.

And Sunni, PLEASE call my bf a 'gook' to his face, I'd pay money to see that.

• Banned
My daughter's boyfriend is half Thai on his mother's side.

My boyfriend's mother is from Singapore.

We do love those Asian men.

And Sunni, PLEASE call my bf a 'gook' to his face, I'd pay money to see that.

So your bf has insecurity issues about his ethnicity huh? I'm surprised that's not a turn-off for you.

So the answer turns out to be pretty simple. Not all Asians are Oriental. It'd be like calling Canadians Americans...or maybe Spaniards Mexicans. It's just technically not correct.

simple..oriental is an adjective that refers to inanimate things...oriental rugs etc...when referring to the ethnic group of culture..the proper term is asian....

educated people have long been aware of this....:eusa_snooty:

So the answer turns out to be pretty simple. Not all Asians are Oriental. It'd be like calling Canadians Americans...or maybe Spaniards Mexicans. It's just technically not correct.

Ummm, that logic is backwards. Calling Asian/Orientals Asian is less technically correct than calling them Oriental. Since as you accurately point out, not all Asians are Oriental.

simple..oriental is an adjective that refers to inanimate things...oriental rugs etc...when referring to the ethnic group of culture..the proper term is asian....

educated people have long been aware of this....:eusa_snooty:

You know, I think I've actually heard that line of bullshit before.

Adjectives modify nouns. There is no rule about the nouns having to be inanimate. :cuckoo:

Does anyone remember?

Pearl Harbor

Actually, Canadians are Americans.......North Americans. Go to a South American nation and refer to yourself as American and see how they respond. They will tell you that they are Americans too......South Americans. I saw this play out over and over during my time there when US citizens referred to themselves as Americans.

Forum List

Back