Why did Obama spend more on defense in 2012 than Bush did in 2007

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
Defense.gov News Release: Fiscal 2007 Department of Defense Budget is Released
President George W. Bush today sent to Congress his defense budget for fiscal 2007. The budget requests $439.3 billion in discretionary budget authority for the Department of Defense, a seven percent increase over enacted fiscal 2006 funding levels. The budget was accompanied by the Report of the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR).

Defense.gov News Release: DOD Releases Fiscal 2012 Budget Proposal
President Barack Obama today sent to Congress a proposed defense budget of $671 billion for fiscal 2012. The request for the Department of Defense (DoD) includes $553 billion in discretionary budget authority to fund base defense programs and $118 billion to support overseas contingency operations (OCO), primarily in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Bush budget was $439.3B. Obama requested $671B. Bush's budget only lists discretionary budget whereas Obama has discretionary and OCO.

We were out of Iraq in 2011. How could we be spending more for defense when we were only fighting one war rather than two? Average Monthly Boots On the Ground in Afghanistan and Iraq in 2007 was 172,000 and in 2012 it was 67,500. Something does not add up and I mean that quite literally.

Attachments

• $troop_levels.png
    $troop_levels.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 77
Because he's a war monger, and liberals love him, so they must love the war mongering too.

Why do you think he's spent more, emptystep?
Is it Obama, or is it the congress?
Is it both?

Why have we supposedly ended wars, yet spending increaaes?

Why do you think he's spent more, emptystep?
Is it Obama, or is it the congress?
Is it both?

Why have we supposedly ended wars, yet spending increaaes?

Honestly I have no idea what these numbers mean. I don't think inflation explains differences of such percentages. Hopefully I can track down some more background information. I was hoping someone could give me a clue where to start.

Forum List

Back