Why did Horses Die Out in the North America?

AmericasBrave58

Retired USN Nurse(Vietnam
Dec 31, 2009
Seattle,Washington
Why did horses die out in North America? - Care2 News Network

:mad: I can tell you a good number of reasons why these gentle and beautiful creatures died out in North America. Selling them to other countries for slaughter, and food lots, illegal dealings with un-lawful slaughter houses.Letting people keep these creatures in poor living conditions, only to find them in a position that is life destroying and starvation. I am and have been a member of the ASPCA, Animal Rights advocats, for over 30 years. I have a degree in Wildlife Forestry and Conservation, and Animal Science(Animal Medicine) and the firm supporter of the right to survive and find a good home, and for life's protection from abuse, and illegal use for the purpose of such activities, as Dog Fighting, Cock Fights, and PuppyMills.All of which are totally wrong and cruel. So this is the reason, behind the beautiful and gentle creatures the horse are going on and even more so. We as animal lovers and protectors of nature, need to step up to the plate and be the voices of these animals.They can not speak for themselves, but we can speak for them.

:rolleyes: I will consider the source of your sarcastic re-action, and over look your lack of knowledge in life in general.Animals are my interest and their preservation, no where did i ever mention about insects.So i will consider the source from where it came.:lol::lol:

:rolleyes: I will consider the source of your sarcastic re-action, and over look your lack of knowledge in life in general.Animals are my interest and their preservation, no where did i ever mention about insects.So i will consider the source from where it came.:lol::lol:

Then you failed to acknowledge your other thread, wherein I asked if you've never killed a bug, given your "life in prison without parole for killing an animal" frenzy.

Seriously, from one animal lover to another, try a realistic look at life.

He looks alive to me:

horse_penis.jpg

If animals and their preservation are your interest, perhaps you should educate yourself about them.

Horses are not dying out. In fact, they are so numerous in places that they have to be rounded up on a regular basis and disposed of, as they have overpopulated the land that exists.

Not only that, the feral horses of today are not natives of North America. They are descendants of horses brought over by the Europeans...though even those are few and far between. Most of the wild horses today are simply horses that have escaped or been turned out, formed feral herds of questionable breeding, and multiplied.

I don't believe that any animal should be mistreated. That is not acceptable behavior in my opinion but on the other hand, I often feel that organizations such as the ASPCA and PETA often go way overboard in their eccentric beliefs in animal rights.

"Horses (Equus)continued to evolve and develop for another six million years after Pliohippus and became very successful, spreading throughout North America. At some point some of them crossed into the Old World via the Arctic-Asia land bridge. Then, suddenly, no one is absolutely certain why, between 10,000 and 8,000 years ago, Equus disappeared from North and South America. Various theories have been advanced including destruction by drought, disease, or extinction as a result of hunting by growing human populations. At any rate, the horse was gone from the western hemiphere. The submergence of the Bering land bridge prevented any return migration from the Old World or Asia, and the horse was not seen again on its native continent until the Spanish explorers brought horses by ship in the sixteenth century. "
Horse in North America

The wild horses of today are an introduced and invasive species, who compete unsuccessfully with the herd animals we breed for food. Fences and roads prevent them from accessing sources of water and feed they need for survival.

So unless you're proposing we do away with roads and fences, I suggest you shut the hell up about horses disappearing.

PS...

013.jpg

022-5.jpg

cashkissing.jpg

133.jpg

1259997434.jpg

Last edited:
Horses are not indiginous to teh Americas, the spanish brought them.

And there are plenty of them still.

I was wondering, I swear I saw many when going to Wyomning. All I have to say is try driving down the road when you have a lot bucking horses on the road. The herd or whatever you call it on the ranch next to my brothers was pretty good, and they were all alittle wild still.

We have wild horses here where I live, too. Plenty of them. And those are the ones BESIDES the multitudes of horses that actually belong to people.

I love the first type of horses and the one in the third pic, I know nothing about horses though. Which is quite funny since my brother is a rancher, and my mom paints carrousel horses painting them by breed usually.

We have wild horses here where I live, too. Plenty of them. And those are the ones BESIDES the multitudes of horses that actually belong to people.

I have seen many wild horses in backwoods Wyomning, I think my brother also said there some that came through their ranch often.

Horses are not indiginous to teh Americas, the spanish brought them.
And there are plenty of them still.

Au contraire Xen;

Johns Hopkins paleobiologist Steven Stanley has sleuthed out clues to the evolution of horses, coming up with a new solution for an enduring mystery: What caused the extinction of many equine species and other mammals 6 million years ago?

.... Contrary to the popular belief that horses were foreign to the New World until they were brought here by the Spaniards, the animals actually evolved in North America, spreading to Europe by crossing the Bering land bridge that once connected Alaska and Siberia. But they later died out in North America near the end of the Ice Age.

Well before their disappearance, however, their life history took an abrupt turn that killed off all but those horses with the longest teeth. In fact, numerous other mammals, including camels and rhinos, suffered the same fate in North America......

As grasslands expanded, the horses with long teeth lived longer because they were best adapted to eating grasses [which possess a gritty compound called silica] instead of leaves. Living longer enabled them to produce enough offspring to guarantee survival of their species and the evolution of new species. ....

As the climate became dryer and cooler, a different type of grasses began to dominate North America. Those grasses, known as C-4 grasses, which thrive in dryer climates, replaced many of the previously dominant grasses, known as C-3 grasses.

"Think about a species that was doing all right eating C-3 grasses. Maybe it lived 10 years on average and produced enough colts to reproduce the species. Well, what happens if that horse is suddenly only living seven years, or six years? It may not produce enough colts to perpetuate its species. As a result, the horse became extinct in North America.

Clues To Horse Extinction Point To Gritty Grass, Climate Change

Forum List

Back