Why did FDR Snub Jesse Owens?

It happened because Roosevelt was a democrat in a time when the Southern democrats (The white supremacist, wing of the party) were in control of the party. Meeting with Owens would have pissed off all of his racist, inbred, white trash supporters in thew south, and probably cost him the 1940 election. Same reason why so many democrats refused to condemn the KKK and other domestic terrorists who went around lynching people back then.

It wasn't until the 50's and early 60's that the Northern wing of the party was big enough that they didn't need the inbred south so much, and they were able to tell them to fuck off. Kennedy and LBJ were the first major democrats who had the balls to actually support things like civil rights and equal protection., while, Ironically, the Republicans began condemning those things (like Berry Goldwater did in 1964), because they thought they could win the election by stealing the southern vote and saw appealing to racists as their way to do that.
From 1957 on, while he was Senate Majority Leader, LJB killed Ike's Civil Rights Bill, which he derisively named the "****** Bill"

From 1957 on, while he was Senate Majority Leader, LJB killed Ike's Civil Rights Bill, which he derisively named the "****** Bill"

Yes, but he did support civil rights in the 60's because he saw he could no longer win with the white trash wing of the party. LBJ was more about what was politically benefitial. Kennedy actually supported civil rights, LBJ saw it as something he could win support with. And it worked. He won most of the black vote in 64, while goldwater sacrifriced it for the white southern vote.

I thought Dimbocrats from the north were above such things, but then again, they really did like Margret Sanger.

Jesse Owens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In a 2009 interview, Siegfried Mischner, a German journalist, claimed that Owens carried around a photograph in his wallet of the Führer shaking his hand before the latter left the stadium. Owens, who felt the newspapers of the day reported 'unfairly' on Hitler's attitude towards him, tried to get Mischner and his journalist colleagues to change the accepted version of history in the 1960s.

"Mischner claimed Owens showed him the photograph and told him: "That was one of my most beautiful moments." Mischner added "(the picture) was taken behind the honour stand and so not captured by the world's press. But I saw it, I saw him shaking Hitler's hand!" According to Mischner, "the predominating opinion in post-war Germany was that Hitler had ignored Owens, so we therefore decided not to report on the photo. The consensus was that Hitler had to continue to be painted in a bad light in relation to Owens." [19] For some time, Mischner's assertion was not confirmed independently of his own account,[20] and Mischner himself admitted in Mail Online that "All my colleagues are dead, Owens is dead. I thought this was the last chance to set the record straight. I have no idea where the photo is or even if it exists still."[21]

"However, in 2014, Eric Brown, British fighter pilot and test pilot, the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated living pilot,[22] independently stated in a BBC documentary "I actually witnessed Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens and congratulating him on what he had achieved."[23] Additionally, an article in The Baltimore Sun in August 1936 reported that Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself.[24]

"Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. ... After the parade, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.[26] President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) never invited Jesse Owens to the White House following his triumphs at the Olympics games.[27]

Owens, who joined the Republican Party after returning from Europe, was paid to campaign for African American votes for the Republican presidential nominee Alf Landon in the 1936 presidential election.[28][29] Owens later remarked while on the stump for Landon, that "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."
Well plagairised. It's a shame its bullshit.

Blacks made a fatal mistake in the 1960s when they decided to put their futures in the hands of the same political party that had kept their ancestors as slaves, murdered them when they were given their freedom by the Republicans, and murdered them when they tried to get their civil rights.

They didn't realize this axiom......

Never trust democrats bearing government gifts, for all they truly bring are death, destruction and slavery.

(2aguy)
Tell us what have Republicans done for black folks in the last 50yrs, give me one major bill or policy.

Tell us what have Republicans done for black folks in the last 50yrs, give me one major bill or policy.

The cut taxes, created wealth and prosperity, for all races......under Trump with his policies blacks had a historic low unemployment rate......meanwhile, the democrat party has allowed young black males to murder each other at rates that would be considered crimes against humanity....
What you fail to see? You don't do things for one race.......you help everyone which is what the republican party did.......

It happened because Roosevelt was a democrat in a time when the Southern democrats (The white supremacist, wing of the party) were in control of the party. Meeting with Owens would have pissed off all of his racist, inbred, white trash supporters in thew south, and probably cost him the 1940 election. Same reason why so many democrats refused to condemn the KKK and other domestic terrorists who went around lynching people back then.

It wasn't until the 50's and early 60's that the Northern wing of the party was big enough that they didn't need the inbred south so much, and they were able to tell them to fuck off. Kennedy and LBJ were the first major democrats who had the balls to actually support things like civil rights and equal protection., while, Ironically, the Republicans began condemning those things (like Berry Goldwater did in 1964), because they thought they could win the election by stealing the southern vote and saw appealing to racists as their way to do that.

No...moron......LBJ simply realized they would never win national elections by keeping their racism in the open....

As to Goldwater? He was an actual Civil Rights hero...you dumb ass........you just gulped down the racist, democrat party Bullshit......

Johnson v. Goldwater....you idiot......try actually learning truth, facts and reality....

Johnson...

LBJ’s Democratic Plantation › American Greatness
LBJ’s Democratic Plantation › American Greatness
there is a man who, according to a memo filed by FBI agent William Branigan, seems to have been in the Ku Klux Klan. This memo was only revealed in recent months, with the release of the JFK Files.
Lyndon Johnson opposed every civil rights proposal considered in his first 20 years as lawmaker

"He had been a congressman, beginning in 1937, for eleven years, and for eleven years he had voted against every civil rights bill –

against not only legislation aimed at ending the poll tax and segregation in the armed services but even against legislation aimed at ending lynching: a one hundred percent record," Caro wrote.

"Running for the Senate in 1948, he had assailed President" Harry "Truman’s entire civil rights program (‘an effort to set up a police state’)…Until 1957, in the Senate, as in the House, his record – by that time a twenty-year record – against civil rights had been consistent," Caro wrote.

=========

The Party of Civil Rights | National Review

The Party of Civil Rights

The depth of Johnson’s prior opposition to civil-rights reform must be digested in some detail to be properly appreciated.

In the House, he did not represent a particularly segregationist constituency (it “made up for being less intensely segregationist than the rest of the South by being more intensely anti-Communist,” as the New York Times put it), but Johnson was practically antebellum in his views.

Never mind civil rights or voting rights: In Congress, Johnson had consistently and repeatedly voted against legislation to protect black Americans from lynching.

As a leader in the Senate, Johnson did his best to cripple the Civil Rights Act of 1957; not having votes sufficient to stop it, he managed to reduce it to an act of mere symbolism by excising the enforcement provisions before sending it to the desk of President Eisenhower.

Johnson’s Democratic colleague Strom Thurmond nonetheless went to the trouble of staging the longest filibuster in history up to that point, speaking for 24 hours in a futile attempt to block the bill. The reformers came back in 1960 with an act to remedy the deficiencies of the 1957 act, and Johnson’s Senate Democrats again staged a record-setting filibuster.

In both cases, the “master of the Senate” petitioned the northeastern Kennedy liberals to credit him for having seen to the law’s passage while at the same time boasting to southern Democrats that he had taken the teeth out of the legislation.

Johnson would later explain his thinking thus: “These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days, and that’s a problem for us, since they’ve got something now they never had before: the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this — we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”

Read more at: The Party of Civil Rights

=============

Goldwater.....

Barry M. Goldwater: The Most Consequential Loser in American Politics

Goldwater treated all people the same. As a private citizen, he flew mercy missions to Navaho reservations, never asking for recognition or accepting payment. He felt that “the red man seemed as much—if not more—a part of Arizona and America as any white or black person.”[20] Moreover, a few weeks after Goldwater was discharged from the Army in November 1945, Democratic Arizona Governor Sidney Preston Osborn asked him to organize the Arizona Air National Guard. One of Goldwater’s first recommendations, soon approved, was to desegregate the unit. Goldwater’s integration of the state’s Air National Guard took place more than two years before President Harry Truman integrated the U.S. armed forces.

Goldwater was an early member of the Arizona chapters of both the NAACP and the National Urban League, even making up the latter’s operating deficit when it was getting started. Later as a Senator, he desegregated the Senate cafeteria in 1953, demanding that his black legislative assistant, Kathrine Maxwell, be served along with every other Senate employee after learning she had been denied service.

In the mid-1970s, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, investigating improper operations of the intelligence community in the United States, proposed that transcripts of the FBI tapes about Martin Luther King Jr.’s alleged indiscretions be published. An outraged Goldwater declared he would not be a party to destroying King’s reputation and strode out of the committee room. A fellow Senator recalled that Goldwater’s protest “injected some common sense into the proceedings,” and the electronic surveillance transcripts were not released.[21]

That his opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was based on constitutional grounds and not political considerations was underscored in the final week of the fall campaign. Speaking in Columbia, South Carolina, Goldwater condemned segregation and declared that government must treat “all men as equal in the arena of law and civil order.”[22] He pledged if elected President to implement all provisions of the act. His forthright pro-civil rights speech was televised on 87 stations throughout the South.

NPR Wrong on Goldwater '64, Civil Rights, Say 4 Who Were There

As for the Republican nominee's position on the Civil Rights Act, Goldwater had said he would vote for passage if Section II on public accommodations and Section VII on equal employment opportunity were removed. With his view reinforced by a detailed memorandum from Phoenix lawyer and future Chief Justice William Rehnquist, Goldwater felt these sections were unconstitutional, were unenforceable without a federal police force, and would lead to the creation of racial quotas and affirmative action.

"He was absolutely right about [the two sections of the Civil Rights Act] and they did lead to precisely what Goldwater and most conservatives were afraid of," said Tom Winter, then executive editor of Human Events, who would join Ryskind as its co-owner a year later. As for the "extremism in the defense of liberty" speech, Winter recalled watching it from a San Francisco restaurant "and cheering it because it was clearly about freedom and fighting communism. I certainly didn't think it had anything to do with race."

https://freedomsjournalinstitute.org/uncategorized/urban-legend-goldwater-against-civil-rights/

More specifically, Goldwater had problems with title II and title VII of the 1964 bill. He felt that constitutionally the federal government had no legal right to interfere in who people hired, fired; or to whom they sold their products, goods and services. He felt that “power” laid in the various states, and with the people.

He was a strong advocate of the tenth amendment. Goldwater’s constitutional stance did not mean he agreed with the segregation and racial discrimination practiced in the South. To the contrary, he fought against these kinds of racial divides in his own state of Arizona. He supported the integration of the Arizona National guard and Phoenix public schools.[4] Goldwater was, also, a member of the NAACP and the Urban League.
[5]

His personal feelings about discrimination are enshrined in the congressional record where he states, “I am unalterably opposed to discrimination or segregation on the basis of race, color, or creed or on any other basis; not only my words, but more importantly my actions through years have repeatedly demonstrated the sincerity of my feeling in this regard…”[6].

And, he would continued to holdfast to his strongly felt convictions that constitutionally the federal government was limited in what it could do, believing that the amoral actions of those perpetuating discrimination and segregation would have to be judged by those in that community. Eventually, the states government and local communities would come to pressure people to change their minds. Goldwater’s view was that the civil disobedience by private citizens against those business establishments was more preferable than intervention by the feds. He, optimistically, believed that racial intolerance would soon buckle under the economic and societal pressure.

The cut taxes, created wealth and prosperity, for all races......
False.
under Trump with his policies blacks had a historic low unemployment rate......
Had nothing to do with Trump, that historic rate started dropping years before Trump thought about running for office and it was still twice the rate of whites. Damn find some new talking points.
meanwhile, the democrat party has allowed young black males to murder each other at rates that would be considered crimes against humanity....
What have Republicans done about crime rates? Not a damn thing.
What you fail to see? You don't do things for one race.......you help everyone which is what the republican party did.......
No shit, but you right wingers love to try and tell us what Democrats have or haven't done for black folks.

I thought Dimbocrats from the north were above such things, but then again, they really did like Margret Sanger.

Jesse Owens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In a 2009 interview, Siegfried Mischner, a German journalist, claimed that Owens carried around a photograph in his wallet of the Führer shaking his hand before the latter left the stadium. Owens, who felt the newspapers of the day reported 'unfairly' on Hitler's attitude towards him, tried to get Mischner and his journalist colleagues to change the accepted version of history in the 1960s.

"Mischner claimed Owens showed him the photograph and told him: "That was one of my most beautiful moments." Mischner added "(the picture) was taken behind the honour stand and so not captured by the world's press. But I saw it, I saw him shaking Hitler's hand!" According to Mischner, "the predominating opinion in post-war Germany was that Hitler had ignored Owens, so we therefore decided not to report on the photo. The consensus was that Hitler had to continue to be painted in a bad light in relation to Owens." [19] For some time, Mischner's assertion was not confirmed independently of his own account,[20] and Mischner himself admitted in Mail Online that "All my colleagues are dead, Owens is dead. I thought this was the last chance to set the record straight. I have no idea where the photo is or even if it exists still."[21]

"However, in 2014, Eric Brown, British fighter pilot and test pilot, the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated living pilot,[22] independently stated in a BBC documentary "I actually witnessed Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens and congratulating him on what he had achieved."[23] Additionally, an article in The Baltimore Sun in August 1936 reported that Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself.[24]

"Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. ... After the parade, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.[26] President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) never invited Jesse Owens to the White House following his triumphs at the Olympics games.[27]

Owens, who joined the Republican Party after returning from Europe, was paid to campaign for African American votes for the Republican presidential nominee Alf Landon in the 1936 presidential election.[28][29] Owens later remarked while on the stump for Landon, that "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."
Nazis did not mass intern black Germans to concentration camps. They might have messed with them in other ways but they were not rounded up. There were thousands of them in Germany at that time.

James F. Byrnes, a South Carolina politician, another FDR SCOTUS pick, once said “This is a white man’s country, and will always remain a white man’s country”
It is very unwise to make such predictions.

Obviously, Mr. Byrnes would be astonished if he were still living.

We all need to be more humble.

Very interesting if Herr Hitler did actually shake Mr. Owens's hand. I did not know that.

And, yes, probably FDR did ignore Mr. Owens because at that time it would have been politically disadvantageous for him to have invited him to the White House for a photo op. (Eleanor Roosevelt, on the other hand, did invite some African Americans ladies to lunch at the White House.) And don't forget: President Theodore Roosevelt invited Dr. Booker T. Washington to the White House for a meal. Of course, he was severely criticized, for Caucasians at that time had a different attitude toward non-Caucasians.

Well plagairised. It's a shame its bullshit.
You are an idiot. "Running Against the World"

FDR appoint a KKK member to the Supreme Court, segregates the White House staff, refuses to invite any black Olympian members to the WH.

I can see how this hurts your poor feelings but sometimes the truth is uncomfortable.

You are an idiot. "Running Against the World"

FDR appoint a KKK member to the Supreme Court, segregates the White House staff, refuses to invite any black Olympian members to the WH.

A paid up member of the KKK to the supreme court? Really.
I can see how this hurts your poor feelings but sometimes the truth is uncomfortable.

Much like the truth about trump getting democratically kicked out and the capitol riots were not a peaceful demo to over throw democracy.
Yep. Got it. You've driven a stake through my heart.

Shouldn't elected officials do things they think are best for ALL Americans?
Of course they should, but when they do things that help black folks it helps ALL Americans. Do you think the Civil Rights Act helped just black folks, do you think the Voting Rights Act helped just black folks, do you think AA helped just black folks, do you think all these various programs helped just black folks?

Forum List

Back