Why did FDR Snub Jesse Owens?

Not only was FDR a racist, but so was the American populace....duh

No, not everyone was racist toward blacks, or the 1964 Civil Rights Act would never have passed, dumbass.

Most people were 'racist' by 2015 standards in 1940.

Certainly FDR was- and so was his Republican predecessor

W.E.B. DuBois, the founder of the NAACP, saw Hoover as a “sinister enemy of the black race.”

But who was white American who most openly championed African American rights in those years?

Eleanor Roosevelt.

Eleanor Roosevelt fought very hard for integrated factories and housing for African Americans during the war, and for African Americans to be able to serve as combat troops.

Eleanor Roosevelt's influence led the Roosevelt administration to many policies that infuriated the anti-black racists of the day- and was instrumental in the swing of the African American vote from Republican to Democrat.

Funny how some have to change the subject. I was just axing a question; why did FDR not even invite Owens to the White House or shake the man's hand? Hitler apparently was willing to shake Owens hand in congratulations. Was FDR a bigger racist than even Hitler?

When I read how so many of the Dimbocrats back then were racist to the core about blacks, seems like a pretense to imagine all that just evaporated, and it would explain how maybe some of these big government programs are maybe actually designed to destroy the black community from the inside, and isn't just incompetence.

Just wondering...

Well we can only speculate how big of a racist FDR was- but by all evidence he was certainly a racist by our standards- as was for instance Hoover before him- whether FDR snubbed Owens because he was a racist- or because he was pandering to his racist base in the South- we really don't know.

Now- lets go back to your attempt to compare Hitler and FDR.

Which do you prefer?

And why do you think that the movement of African American support started moving from overwhelmingly Republican to overwhelmingly Democrat during FDR's administration?

Blacks made a fatal mistake in the 1960s when they decided to put their futures in the hands of the same political party that had kept their ancestors as slaves, murdered them when they were given their freedom by the Republicans, and murdered them when they tried to get their civil rights.

They didn't realize this axiom......

Never trust democrats bearing government gifts, for all they truly bring are death, destruction and slavery.

(2aguy)
Always is amusing to watch Conservatives tell us how they think African Americans are just too stupid to vote Republican.

The people that they have mistakenly trusted keep horrifying them each elections with threats that if Republicans win, its back to slavery and work gangs, so yeah, they are frightened into voting Dimbocrat, much like this lady was....

Always is amusing to watch Conservatives tell us how they think African Americans are just too stupid to vote Republican.

conservative "democrats were still lynching blacks in the South." Now it is correct.

Progressive Democrats were for eugenics and exterminating the black race.

I don't remember Eleanor Roosevelt mentioning those things.

I do remember that Conservatives were for enforced segregation and discrimination.

Then you don't know history.

Feel free to educate me then.

Lets start with your 'history' that shows Eleanor Roosevelt advocating eugenics or exterminating the black race.

I will wait.

conservative "democrats were still lynching blacks in the South." Now it is correct.

I do remember that Conservatives were for enforced segregation and discrimination.

Lets start with your 'history' that shows Eleanor Roosevelt advocating eugenics or exterminating the black race.

I will wait.

Where did I mention Eleanor? Educate me.

I will wait.

Do you have a short term memory problem

Here is what I said:

You:

I asked you to start with how I didn't know history about Eleanor Roosevelt advocating eugenics.

I will wait.

Here is what I said:

You:

I asked you to start with how I didn't know history about Eleanor Roosevelt advocating eugenics.

My mistake, eugenics was a Progressive movement, I find it interesting how you single out the Democrat and generalize with the Republicans.

I wonder why.

I will wait.

Here is what I said:

You:

My mistake, eugenics was a Progressive movement, I find it interesting how you single out the Democrat and generalize with the Republicans.

I wonder why.

I find it less than interesting that you don't have a clue about what I am posting about.

Next time you want to complain that I don't know my history- be ready to put up or shut up.

I will wait.

Here is what I said:

You:

I wonder why.

I find it less than interesting that you don't have a clue about what I am posting about.

Next time you want to complain that I don't know my history- be ready to put up or shut up.

Dumb shit, you tried to set up and slant your argument. Eugenics is a progressive movement. Now fuck off dip shit, don't butt in where you had no need to.

I will wait.

Here is what I said:

You:

I wonder why.

Dumb shit, you tried to set up and slant your argument. Eugenics is a progressive movement. Now fuck off dip shit, don't butt in where you had no need to.

You poor fool- tangled with an adult and now you are trying to backpedal into the usual juvenile expletives.

Grow up.

Here is what I said:

You:

I wonder why.

You poor fool- tangled with an adult and now you are trying to backpedal into the usual juvenile expletives.

Grow up.

Bull shit! You tried a set up and failed, you are an idiot. You always have been but I understand your need to try to save face.

It happened because Roosevelt was a democrat in a time when the Southern democrats (The white supremacist, wing of the party) were in control of the party. Meeting with Owens would have pissed off all of his racist, inbred, white trash supporters in thew south, and probably cost him the 1940 election. Same reason why so many democrats refused to condemn the KKK and other domestic terrorists who went around lynching people back then.

It wasn't until the 50's and early 60's that the Northern wing of the party was big enough that they didn't need the inbred south so much, and they were able to tell them to fuck off. Kennedy and LBJ were the first major democrats who had the balls to actually support things like civil rights and equal protection., while, Ironically, the Republicans began condemning those things (like Berry Goldwater did in 1964), because they thought they could win the election by stealing the southern vote and saw appealing to racists as their way to do that.

This is the sort of nonsense that passes for sense. Why did FDR snub Owens? Could be sports weren't the be all and end all of American society then. Could have been a calculated political action, who knows. Today America worships sport and neglects education as Key and Peele showed so clearly in their comedy piece. One also forgets the times in which FDR lived, blacks were still be lynched in the south. The right wing in America is still fighting FDR because he did some things for all the people, he was surly not faultless but it's long past time the right looked into their mirror of accomplishments.
FDR was a racist

Forum List

Back