Why did FDR Snub Jesse Owens?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I thought Dimbocrats from the north were above such things, but then again, they really did like Margret Sanger.

Jesse Owens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In a 2009 interview, Siegfried Mischner, a German journalist, claimed that Owens carried around a photograph in his wallet of the Führer shaking his hand before the latter left the stadium. Owens, who felt the newspapers of the day reported 'unfairly' on Hitler's attitude towards him, tried to get Mischner and his journalist colleagues to change the accepted version of history in the 1960s.

"Mischner claimed Owens showed him the photograph and told him: "That was one of my most beautiful moments." Mischner added "(the picture) was taken behind the honour stand and so not captured by the world's press. But I saw it, I saw him shaking Hitler's hand!" According to Mischner, "the predominating opinion in post-war Germany was that Hitler had ignored Owens, so we therefore decided not to report on the photo. The consensus was that Hitler had to continue to be painted in a bad light in relation to Owens." [19] For some time, Mischner's assertion was not confirmed independently of his own account,[20] and Mischner himself admitted in Mail Online that "All my colleagues are dead, Owens is dead. I thought this was the last chance to set the record straight. I have no idea where the photo is or even if it exists still."[21]

"However, in 2014, Eric Brown, British fighter pilot and test pilot, the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated living pilot,[22] independently stated in a BBC documentary "I actually witnessed Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens and congratulating him on what he had achieved."[23] Additionally, an article in The Baltimore Sun in August 1936 reported that Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself.[24]

"Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. ... After the parade, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.[26] President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) never invited Jesse Owens to the White House following his triumphs at the Olympics games.[27]

Owens, who joined the Republican Party after returning from Europe, was paid to campaign for African American votes for the Republican presidential nominee Alf Landon in the 1936 presidential election.[28][29] Owens later remarked while on the stump for Landon, that "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

This is the sort of nonsense that passes for sense. Why did FDR snub Owens? Could be sports weren't the be all and end all of American society then. Could have been a calculated political action, who knows. Today America worships sport and neglects education as Key and Peele showed so clearly in their comedy piece. One also forgets the times in which FDR lived, blacks were still be lynched in the south. The right wing in America is still fighting FDR because he did some things for all the people, he was surly not faultless but it's long past time the right looked into their mirror of accomplishments.

I thought Dimbocrats from the north were above such things, but then again, they really did like Margret Sanger.

"In a 2009 interview, Siegfried Mischner, a German journalist, claimed that Owens carried around a photograph in his wallet of the Führer shaking his hand before the latter left the stadium. Owens, who felt the newspapers of the day reported 'unfairly' on Hitler's attitude towards him, tried to get Mischner and his journalist colleagues to change the accepted version of history in the 1960s.

"Mischner claimed Owens showed him the photograph and told him: "That was one of my most beautiful moments." Mischner added "(the picture) was taken behind the honour stand and so not captured by the world's press. But I saw it, I saw him shaking Hitler's hand!" According to Mischner, "the predominating opinion in post-war Germany was that Hitler had ignored Owens, so we therefore decided not to report on the photo. The consensus was that Hitler had to continue to be painted in a bad light in relation to Owens." [19] For some time, Mischner's assertion was not confirmed independently of his own account,[20] and Mischner himself admitted in Mail Online that "All my colleagues are dead, Owens is dead. I thought this was the last chance to set the record straight. I have no idea where the photo is or even if it exists still."[21]

"However, in 2014, Eric Brown, British fighter pilot and test pilot, the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated living pilot,[22] independently stated in a BBC documentary "I actually witnessed Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens and congratulating him on what he had achieved."[23] Additionally, an article in The Baltimore Sun in August 1936 reported that Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself.[24]

"Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. ... After the parade, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.[26] President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) never invited Jesse Owens to the White House following his triumphs at the Olympics games.[27]

Owens, who joined the Republican Party after returning from Europe, was paid to campaign for African American votes for the Republican presidential nominee Alf Landon in the 1936 presidential election.[28][29] Owens later remarked while on the stump for Landon, that "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

Like all Democrats, FDR was a racist

Q. Who named a Klansman, Hugo Black to SCOTUS?

a. Reagan
b. Booooooooooooooooooosh
c. FDR

The right is trying to smear FDR so they can vault Ronald Raygun to the top...
Moonglow, this current mantra of trying to make Republicans look 'more American' than Democrats is almost funny. I don't remember much about the times since I was born that year, but I do know it wasn't FDR that brought them about. If our fellow posters want a source for the shabby disgraceful treatment of Jesse Owens, I suggest a return to the works (and non-works) of our Founding Fathers. And let's also remember who quit the vaunted DAR over a concert by Marian Anderson. And the Waldorf could have adjusted it's policies regarding discrimination any time they chose...without the urging of the President of the United States.

I read a lot of historical re-writes on this forum, but so far cannot see it done for illumination, only for slanders without regard for the times or our national growth.

Q. Whose Tuskegee Experiment, where blacks were intentionally given untreated syphilis just to watch how the disease progressed would later influence Josef Mengele and the Nazis?

a. Reagan
b. Booooooooooooooooooosh
c. FDR

The right is trying to smear FDR so they can vault Ronald Raygun to the top...

James F. Byrnes, a South Carolina politician, another FDR SCOTUS pick, once said “This is a white man’s country, and will always remain a white man’s country”
Hey Frank, you sure that was Byrnes and not Jesse Helms or Strom Thurmond or Ervin?

FDR was a democrat, and a leader in the party so he was a racist. Remember, he also sent Americans of Japanese descent to concentration camps during the war.

This is the sort of nonsense that passes for sense. Why did FDR snub Owens? Could be sports weren't the be all and end all of American society then. Could have been a calculated political action, who knows. Today America worships sport and neglects education as Key and Peele showed so clearly in their comedy piece. One also forgets the times in which FDR lived, blacks were still be lynched in the south. The right wing in America is still fighting FDR because he did some things for all the people, he was surly not faultless but it's long past time the right looked into their mirror of accomplishments.

One also forgets the times in which FDR lived, blacks were still be lynched in the south.

Be more specific....democrats were still lynching blacks in the South. There, fixed that for you...

Blacks made a fatal mistake in the 1960s when they decided to put their futures in the hands of the same political party that had kept their ancestors as slaves, murdered them when they were given their freedom by the Republicans, and murdered them when they tried to get their civil rights.

They didn't realize this axiom......

Never trust democrats bearing government gifts, for all they truly bring are death, destruction and slavery.

(2aguy)

Blacks made a fatal mistake in the 1960s when they decided to put their futures in the hands of the same political party that had kept their ancestors as slaves, murdered them when they were given their freedom by the Republicans, and murdered them when they tried to get their civil rights.

They didn't realize this axiom......

Never trust democrats bearing government gifts, for all they truly bring are death, destruction and slavery.

(2aguy)
Not only that, Democrats embedded slavery in a way that made Republicans helpless to make changes, right? But even so Republicans were kind. I certain regions of our country, they took in all those Democrats with open arms back in 1964. What a great bunch!

conservative "democrats were still lynching blacks in the South." Now it is correct.

Stupidest comment of the day, "Blacks made a fatal mistake in the 1960s when they decided to put their futures in the hands of the same political party." And you have done nothing to want them to come back to our party.

Forum List

Back