Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Extremists didn't like US democracy

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Some other reason - explain in post

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
I

Indofred

Leaving aside tin foil hat jobs, more informed claims of US naughtiness and sticking to the official line of OBL and Islamic extremists murdering thousands.

Why do you think the US was attacked that day?

My humble opinion is, it was a retaliation because of US support for Israel.
At least one posters disagrees with that.

Perhaps posters would like to share their opinions.

Regardless if it was our democracy or our support of Israel, it was hatred. And something this earth can do without. There were 3000 victims in that demonstration of hatred and just what did it change? Nothing. I consider it a failed attack from a failed and useless entity.

Because some Radical Islamists cant produce anything of value to compete with the United States, so they've decided to attack us for political power.

The US is the most powerful and influential country in existence at this moment. The attack had nothing to do with our support of Israel. Our prestige, power and wealth make us a prime target. Couple that with the fact that our people here are largely Christian and you have the makings of a target. If you want to make a statement you don’t go and pick on the small guy. You hit the largest and strongest one on the playground. That is what they did.

I would like to point out that Europe is just as embroiled in this conflict as we are and they have had many attacks as well. 9/11 was done as a statement to the whole world, if they can hit the strongest they can do anything.
Regardless if it was our democracy or our support of Israel, it was hatred. And something this earth can do without. There were 3000 victims in that demonstration of hatred and just what did it change? Nothing. I consider it a failed attack from a failed and useless entity.
?
That is not true at all. Remember what Bush ran on, his original campaign? I voted for him because of what he ran on. He did NOTHING that he said he would solely because of the attacks. We are embroiled in TWO wars and bombing dozens of countries because of those attacks. No, they changed the ENTIRE direction of this country. 2 entirely new government agencies were created because of those attacks – the TSA and DHS. Our individual liberties have been compromised ala the patriot act. We are now targeting US citizens on foreign soil for drone kill orders. The attacks were wildly successful, perhaps far more than the attackers had even hoped.

I believe the attacks occurred because elements within our government allowed them to for their own motives..but the motive of the middle eastern terrorist in general is a direct result of military aid to Israel and our interference in sovereign Islamic nations

The only thing we need to understand about terrorists is how to kill them as quickly as possible.

Leaving aside tin foil hat jobs, more informed claims of US naughtiness and sticking to the official line of OBL and Islamic extremists murdering thousands.

Why do you think the US was attacked that day?

My humble opinion is, it was a retaliation because of US support for Israel.
At least one posters disagrees with that.

Perhaps posters would like to share their opinions.

I think I've established myself as someone who disagrees with Israel and her policies and even her rationale for existing.

That said, when Usama bin Laden listed his reasons for his attacks on the US, Israel was third on the list after US military presense in the Saudi holy lands and our continued economic sanctions on Iraq. It was almost like he was throwing that in as an afterthough. "Oh, yeah, we're mad about that, too!"

Bin Laden wanted the US to get involved in wars in the middle east to bleed us just enough where we'd stop doing that kind of thing. And he's probably succeeded. After Iraq and Afghanistan, I think any politician who'd want another middle east war would be flogged.

Like other miscalculations in history, Bin laden made a miscalcualtion on what an attack like 9/11 would do.

History is full of one side not being able to predict what the other side would do given a certain situation. Before World War One, Germany did not think Belgium would resist the invasion of thier territory, nor did they think that England would join the fight. They were wrong.

In World War Two, Japan thought a sneak attack on the US, followed by one decsisive fleet battle would force the US to seek terms. they were wrong.

Bin Laden saw the US withdraw from lebanon after the marines barrack attack. He saw the US leave Somalia after the "blackhawk down" incident. He saw zero response to the US Cole attack.

What he assumed was a strong enough attack on the US would lead either to a withdrawal from the area by the US, or a half assed response. What happened was neither. He did not get the result he wanted.

Bin Laden's goal was overthrow an replacement of the Saudi regime on the way to an eventual return of the old Ottoman Caliphate. All his actions were predicated on his attempt to have this happen.

The US is the most powerful and influential country in existence at this moment. The attack had nothing to do with our support of Israel. Our prestige, power and wealth make us a prime target. Couple that with the fact that our people here are largely Christian and you have the makings of a target. If you want to make a statement you don’t go and pick on the small guy. You hit the largest and strongest one on the playground. That is what they did.

I would like to point out that Europe is just as embroiled in this conflict as we are and they have had many attacks as well. 9/11 was done as a statement to the whole world, if they can hit the strongest they can do anything.
?
That is not true at all. Remember what Bush ran on, his original campaign? I voted for him because of what he ran on. He did NOTHING that he said he would solely because of the attacks. We are embroiled in TWO wars and bombing dozens of countries because of those attacks. No, they changed the ENTIRE direction of this country. 2 entirely new government agencies were created because of those attacks – the TSA and DHS. Our individual liberties have been compromised ala the patriot act. We are now targeting US citizens on foreign soil for drone kill orders. The attacks were wildly successful, perhaps far more than the attackers had even hoped.

I concur. in fact, I would argue that their hate for Israel is because they hate us, not vice versa. We are the big satan. They are just the little one.

IMO...it was a planned attack, which the US was aware of. It gained leverage for the war in Iraq.
Sure, it was Muslims, but I think they were able to get on that plane because a few people knew what would happen.

That said, I dunno if Bush could have been so smart as to pull it off.

And yes, I am one of the sort who believes that the WTC had bombs planted it and they went off, making the building collapse. Call me a conspiracy nut...

And yes, I am one of the sort who believes that the WTC had bombs planted it and they went off, making the building collapse. Call me a conspiracy nut...

The heat from the burning jet fuel melted the supporting girders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back