Why couldn't states just make their own "public option"?

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Why do we even need to have a federal public option?

Why don't the states that support a public option simply join together and make a big non-profit public insurance plan open to their own citizens?

Hell, it would probably attract all kinds of new business, as businesses move into states that they don't need to provide insurance for employees in.

And as for the citizens of the other states, well, screw them. They didn't want it, so they can deal with the sky-high rates that will be the result of no public option.

• Banned
Or... and here's a sneaky way to get it in... why not just add a "Public Option" to the next Budget decision, which only requires 51 votes, after the rest of the health bill passes?

Technically, that's the only constitutionally allowed universal healthcare.

And you can bet your sweet ass, I'd leave that state in a heartbeat.

Many states simply don't have the money. Unemployment is officially at 10%. It's probably 4 or 5 points higher, at least. This is an average. Some states have a 20% rate. Then there are broken states such as Louisiana and Mississippi.

We could just follow the Republican plan to health care, "If you get sick, Die Quickly".

Or the Democrat Plan: Take our Insurance and you'll have all the Pretend Coverage you need until we run out of your money

Tenncare and Calcare went broke.

The Dems figure that the Treasury can just keep printing the money to pay for it or gut Social Security and Medicare to pay for it.

Can you say "Ponsi-scheme"????????

The Dems figure that the Treasury can just keep printing the money to pay for it or gut Social Security and Medicare to pay for it.

I didn't know there precedents at the state level. If you don't look this up for yourself you the State Run Media will never tell you

Many states simply don't have the money. Unemployment is officially at 10%. It's probably 4 or 5 points higher, at least. This is an average. Some states have a 20% rate. Then there are broken states such as Louisiana and Mississippi.

We could just follow the Republican plan to health care, "If you get sick, Die Quickly".
The GOP and a few Dems made Medicare D ... the prescription plan, so fucked up the US can't negoatiate for lower prescription prices for seniors.

get the profit and waste out of HOW WE PAY 4 HEALTH CARE and then we can fix the rest of the system

Or the Democrat Plan: Take our Insurance and you'll have all the Pretend Coverage you need until we run out of your money

And yet, we can continually pay for Republican wars that "keep us safe". Much better paying for wars and rebuilding nations into hard right, Islamofascists states, like we did in Iraq. The Republican success story. They gave us the "purple finger".

I think it's better to pay for American citizens. Screw the Iraqis. We should just declare "Mission Accomplished" and leave.

And yet, we can continually pay for Republican wars that "keep us safe". Much better paying for wars and rebuilding nations into hard right, Islamofascists states, like we did in Iraq. The Republican success story. They gave us the "purple finger".

I think it's better to pay for American citizens. Screw the Iraqis. We should just declare "Mission Accomplished" and leave.

So, you don't necessarily think its a bad idea that the feds can support budgets that states cannot because states cannto print money. Instead....

Two Wrongs DO Make a Right!

Yea! :happy-1::happy-1::happy-1:

We win!!!:cuckoo:

Owing to the fact that the states are treated differently in this bill and they did not remove the anti-trust exemption, I don't see why states couldn't band together and have their own public plan. Maryland has a plan now, but if you don't have children you can't get into it. It needs to be expanded.

Why don't the states that support a public option simply join together and make a big non-profit public insurance plan open to their own citizens?

Hell, it would probably attract all kinds of new business, as businesses move into states that they don't need to provide insurance for employees in.

And as for the citizens of the other states, well, screw them. They didn't want it, so they can deal with the sky-high rates that will be the result of no public option. It will illustrate the rightwing's fanaticism.

Politics.

The insurance industry would never allow it. State legislators are much more easily influenced than national legislators. Read-up on American Legislative Exchange Council.

Last edited:

I didn't know there precedents at the state level. If you don't look this up for yourself you the State Run Media will never tell you

I don't think revealing it to everyone fits into their best interests. Our media is partially owned and operated by interests outside the United States.

Calcare is Kaput. They had to dump 400,000 off the rolls to return Tenncare to a semi-solvency. They've tried all of this and it doesn't work very well because of all of the fraud and abuse..So one could wonder...what are they really up to?

Medicare and Social Security are going broke....so the Dems answer is to start a new program and gut the old ones. Like I said before....seems the Dems refused to do anything about them in the last 10 years because this is what they had in mind all along.....at least that's the way it appears now. They refused to fix the programs they had before starting another one. What do you think they plan on doing?
Well, I have a pretty good idea but you would call me crazy.

Medicare and Social Security are going broke....so the Dems answer is to start a new program and gut the old ones.

Medicare is in trouble because of the high cost of health care. Congress is on the way to fixing that now. Social Security isn't in any significant trouble at all. A small adjustment will fix it forever.

Well, I have a pretty good idea but you would call me crazy.

That would be stating the obvious.

The GOP and a few Dems made Medicare D ... the prescription plan, so fucked up the US can't negoatiate for lower prescription prices for seniors.

get the profit and waste out of HOW WE PAY 4 HEALTH CARE and then we can fix the rest of the system

Obama put a stop to buy prescriptions across state lines two weeks ago. Somebody tried to put an amendment in the health care bill allowing it and Obama squashed it. It would have increased competition and thus lowered costs for medications.

That's actually the Rep Grayson (D) plan.

It's also the plan of some of Obama's czars.

It also was written into the health care bill at one time and may be back in there now....but we wouldn't know because we haven't had a chance to see it yet.

pg. 427-428
&#8216;&#8216;(iii) A program for orders for life sustaining
treatment for a States described in this clause is a
program that&#8212;
&#8216;&#8216;(I) ensures such orders are standardized
and uniquely identifiable throughout the State;
&#8216;&#8216;(II) distributes or makes accessible such
orders to physicians and other health professionals
that (acting within the scope of the professional&#8217;s authority under State law) may sign
orders for life sustaining treatment;
&#8216;&#8216;(III) provides training for health care
professionals across the continuum of care
about the goals and use of orders for life sustaining treatment; and
&#8216;&#8216;(IV) is guided by a coalition of stake
holders includes representatives from emergency
medical services, emergency department physicians or nurses, state long-term care associa-tion, state medical association, state surveyors, agency responsible for senior services, state department of health, state hospital association, home health association, state bar association,and state hospice association.
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3200ih.pdf

State run health associations will decide your fate.

Last edited:

And as for the citizens of the other states, well, screw them. They didn't want it, so they can deal with the sky-high rates that will be the result of no public option.

The individual states do not print their own currency, so they cannot have a public option. It simply costs too much.

The solution to ill advised wars is to not enter into them.

Why would the solution for an ill advised war be to spend a trillion dollars over 6 years on something else that is not well planned?

Proving that the Dems are as stupid as the Reps is not an endorsement of the Dems.

Forum List

Back