Why Conservatives Must Adopt Ron Paul's Foreign Policy...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Great article by Jack Hunter.

Many Republicans love Ron Paul’s limited-government philosophy but have problems with his foreign policy. This is understandable given the state of today’s Republican Party. But what many Republicans probably don’t realize is that Paul’s foreign policy is part of his limited-government philosophy — and it’s a crucially important part. If the American right does not begin to at least consider Paul’s foreign policy, it will continue to forfeit any hope of advancing a substantive conservatism.

As the Founders understood well, it is hard-to-impossible to preserve limited government at home while maintaining big government abroad. History and experience tell us that one always begets the other. This certainly rings true as we spend trillions of dollars on domestic programs that we match with trillions more overseas. The Founders’ talk of “entangling alliances” requiring “standing armies” was recognition of the inherent dangers of war — and especially permanent war. “Mr. Republican” Sen. Robert Taft would echo similar sentiments a century and a half later in his battles against New Deal liberals. President Dwight Eisenhower’s warning about the “military-industrial complex” reflected the same concerns within a 20th-century, post-WWII context.

Almost alone, Ron Paul today carries on this important Republican tradition. Like every other conservative, Paul believes that America must have a strong national defense — he simply believes we can no longer afford our current irrational offense.

Unfortunately, unlimited Pentagon spending remains the big government too many Republicans still love. During the Reagan era, when we were fighting a global superpower that possessed thousands of nuclear weapons, this made sense. It does not make sense anymore. Today, we are fighting individuals, or collections of individuals, with infinitely less military capabilities and no particular attachments to nation-states. Ask yourself this: What, exactly, does having thousands of troops stationed in Afghanistan do to prevent some sick individual from trying to blow up his underwear on an airplane? Just as important, ask this: Does having thousands of troops in places like Afghanistan make it less likely — or more likely — that some sick individual will try to blow up his underwear on an airplane? Our own military and CIA intelligence tells us that our overseas wars actually encourage terrorist attacks. A majority of the members of the U.S. military agree, or as a Pew Research Poll of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans published in October revealed: “About half (51 percent) of post-9/11 veterans say that the use of military force to fight terrorism creates hatred that breeds more terrorism."

Read more: Ron Paul | Why conservatives must adopt Ron Paul's foreign policy | The Daily Caller

I can't decide sometimes what i think of Ron Paul.

One day i feel he's an idiot, the next he says something that actually makes sense.

I'd heard he was Anti-Israel...wanted to cut them off from Aid or whatever else we give them.
Then i read an article that said he was pro-Israel, and would actually cut aid to ALL other countries, not just Israel. I think that's a good idea...help where help is needed. I'm not sure what he would do though to help them if they decide to go after Iran.

Paul thinks it's ok for Iran to have a nuke, he doesn't believe they'll use it on Israel. I think he's WRONG on that one. The leaders in Iran are completely nuts...and they'll do whatever they think they need to if it means bringing their Imam (or whatever it is!) back.

I've said before if the election comes down to Obama and Paul, i may not even vote. Someone is going to have to convince me that Paul isn't the nut-job that i think he is.

One day i feel he's an idiot, the next he says something that actually makes sense.

I'd heard he was Anti-Israel...wanted to cut them off from Aid or whatever else we give them.
Then i read an article that said he was pro-Israel, and would actually cut aid to ALL other countries, not just Israel. I think that's a good idea...help where help is needed. I'm not sure what he would do though to help them if they decide to go after Iran.

Paul thinks it's ok for Iran to have a nuke, he doesn't believe they'll use it on Israel. I think he's WRONG on that one. The leaders in Iran are completely nuts...and they'll do whatever they think they need to if it means bringing their Imam (or whatever it is!) back.

I've said before if the election comes down to Obama and Paul, i may not even vote. Someone is going to have to convince me that Paul isn't the nut-job that i think he is.

Check out 'Daily Paul' and YouTube. Listen to him some more. He's far from being a nut-job. Give him more of a chance. Give it a shot.

Last edited:

Well its apparent we aren't going to prevent Iran from getting nukes now. Obama certainly isn't going to stop them.

If they are stupid enough to nuke Israel, then they are in turn going to get nuked 10 times over. Assuming of course the Hussein isn't still in office.

Well its apparent we aren't going to prevent Iran from getting nukes now. Obama certainly isn't going to stop them.

If they are stupid enough to nuke Israel, then they are in turn going to get nuked 10 times over. Assuming of course the Hussein isn't still in office.

I'm pretty sure Israel would respond in kind, regardless of who's president here.

Check out 'Daily Paul' and YouTube. Listen to him some more. He's far from being a nut-job. Give him more of a chance. Give it a shot.

Oh i'll give him a chance, i'm not completely against him. And i know there isn't going to be a GOP nominee that i'm going to completely agree with. I think some of it is how he comes across when he speaks....maybe he's just more of a normal guy than the others. I know he says what he feels and thinks and doesn't seem to be just saying what people want to hear like others do. We'll see! :)

I'm pretty sure Israel would respond in kind, regardless of who's president here.

I believe they will too....but we also know if (when) that happens, it won't just be Iran and Israel fighting, and it's going to be BIG.

After listening with great care to what Ron Paul has to say, I have concluded that he is a lunatic with the demeanor of someone who has tied their shoelaces together.

His world view is that the world would be peaceful if only they did exactly what he expected all nations to do.

After listening with great care to what Ron Paul has to say, I have concluded that he is a lunatic with the demeanor of someone who has tied their shoelaces together.

His world view is that the world would be peaceful if only they did exactly what he expected all nations to do.

No that's our current foreign policy. 'Perpetual War for perpetual Peace' is our current foreign policy. Go with Dr. Paul on this.

As the Founders understood well, it is hard-to-impossible to preserve limited government at home while maintaining big government abroad. ]

Dr Paul is wrong therefore he is unelectable.

I get sexually aroused at the sight of spilt blood.

Americans must continue to join the army, visit foreign places, meet interesting people, then kill them.

Hallelujah.

Over and out.

I'm sick of the media blessing Mitt as the nominee. I am not at all satisfied with his Republican credentials. I am still hoping Ron Paul can gather support in the primaries, but at least Newt surged before it was too late. XXXXXX

Dr. Paul is just trying to bring real Conservatism back to the Party. The Republican Party has lost its way. Too many years of being Democrat-Light. It's time for real change. So join the Ron Paul Revolution.

No that's our current foreign policy. 'Perpetual War for perpetual Peace' is our current foreign policy. Go with Dr. Paul on this.

Because no other nation is interested in waging war. Right?

Ron Paul's foreign policy is the reason he will never get elected. Most people understand the US is not some 3rd rate jerkwater on the ass side of nowhere. We have interests all over the world.
If Ron Paul had been president we never would have entered WW2. We never would have fought communism. We never would have fought terrorism. We would be followers of nations like France.
Ron Paul's world includes dictators ruthlessly slaughtering their own people and countries relentless invading their neighbors, and madmen with nuclear weapons.
Most people with at least 2 functioning brain cells understand that. That is why Ron Paul never polls above 10%.

Ron Paul's foreign policy is the reason he will never get elected. Most people understand the US is not some 3rd rate jerkwater on the ass side of nowhere. We have interests all over the world.
If Ron Paul had been president we never would have entered WW2. We never would have fought communism. We never would have fought terrorism. We would be followers of nations like France.
Ron Paul's world includes dictators ruthlessly slaughtering their own people and countries relentless invading their neighbors, and madmen with nuclear weapons.
Most people with at least 2 functioning brain cells understand that. That is why Ron Paul never polls above 10%.

Perpetual War does not lead to perpetual Peace. Perpetual War only leads to perpetual War. Our Foreign Policy is out-dated. It's time for big change. We've had more than enough War in this country. It's time to give Peace a chance.

It's apparent that our current foreign policy isn't working though. Rogue nations are still developing nukes, terrorism is still alive and well all across the middle east, and we're still no closer to having friendlier oil suppliers than we did before the Iraq war. The only things we've accomplished with our current foreign policy is to put several dictators in power (who we then have to go stop later), drum up support for terrorism in the middle east, and nearly bankrupt ourselves.

Something has to give. We can't keep conducting our foreign policy like this.

Almost alone, Ron Paul today carries on this important Republican tradition. Like every other conservative, Paul believes that America must have a strong national defense — he simply believes we can no longer afford our current irrational offense.

That’s never going to fly with conservatives, who are fundamentally authoritarian, belligerent, and supporters of global hegemony.

Conservatives have a fear of, and contempt for, the rest of the world. They see the world as an evil, dangerous place where no one can be trusted, including ‘allies.’ The second we bring our forces home the ‘evil-doers’ of the world will prey upon our friends and the next thing you know we’re doing a Red Dawn right here in the US of A.

(and Putin is still a godless commie and wants to destroy America…)

Your first assessment is correct,Ron Paul is an idiot and a dangerously naive idiot at that. don't worry Ron Paul will never win the nomination, he just has a lot of young naive people who think we can make nice with terrorists who want to cut our heads off because we are not muslim agreeing with him. They too, will see the light and not support his candidacy, they like their heads and want to keep them attached to their bodies.

Last edited:

Perpetual War does not lead to perpetual Peace. Perpetual War only leads to perpetual War. Our Foreign Policy is out-dated. It's time for big change. We've had more than enough War in this country. It's time to give Peace a chance.

Sounds like the unilateral nuclear disarmament touted during the COld War. That was a bullshit idea then. It's a bullshit idea now.

Forum List

Back