Why Conservatism and Not Moderation as Answer to Liberalism?

Why Conservatism and Not Moderation as Answer to Liberalism?

I'm wondering why those who dislike liberalism so commonly view conservatism as the antidote to liberalism?

I do not understand this, for the following reason:

It does not make sense to me that the answer to a perceived form of extremism (liberalism) is another form of extremism (conservatism); rather, it seems to me that the answer to extremism (of any kind) is moderation.

Those who dislike ‘liberalism’ and believe an ‘antidote’ is needed are operating under a false premise: that there is such a thing as ‘liberalism.’

Conservatism is the only actual dogmatic political philosophy in existence in the United States today; ‘liberals’ are merely non-conservatives who are politically active but adhere to no political doctrine or dogma. Indeed, conservative hatred of ‘liberalism’ (which doesn’t actually exist) has more to do with conservatives’ intolerance of pragmatism and ambiguity, as opposed to an erroneous perception of ‘liberal’ policy positions.

To respond to the contrivance of ‘liberalism’ with moderation, therefore, introduces ambiguity into the debate, which conflicts with conservative dogma. And conservative dogma provides conservatives with an answer for everything. Dissent is also not tolerated; dissenters are personally attacked – accused of being ‘un-American,' for example – rather than addressing the issue in an objective, factual manner.

Needless to say we see this tactic employed in this very forum daily.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why those who dislike liberalism so commonly view conservatism as the antidote to liberalism?

I do not understand this, for the following reason:

It does not make sense to me that the answer to a perceived form of extremism (liberalism) is another form of extremism (conservatism); rather, it seems to me that the answer to extremism (of any kind) is moderation.

Is this not the case?

I give you an example (and I don't mean to change the subject -- this is just meant to be one example): Fox News claims that it is the answer to the liberal mainstream media. But it makes no sense to me that the answer to liberal-biased media ought to be conservative-biased media. Should not the answer really be no-biased media (i.e., moderate, objective, dispassionate, neutral media)?

In short, why conservatism over liberalism and not moderation over liberalism?

So-called "moderation" got us into the smothering big gubmint quagmire we're in today...And that was enabled and facilitated by so-called "moderates"and "conservatives"....Fudgem.

We need a 180° reversal of course, not tepid little baby steps....It's time the flailing and failing inside-the-beltway "moderate" nincompoops STFU and get the hell out of the way of restoring the republic, rather than their turd polishing notions of reforming it.

Forum List

Back