Why Conservatism and Not Moderation as Answer to Liberalism?

Owl

Rookie
Jun 23, 2011
I'm wondering why those who dislike liberalism so commonly view conservatism as the antidote to liberalism?

I do not understand this, for the following reason:

It does not make sense to me that the answer to a perceived form of extremism (liberalism) is another form of extremism (conservatism); rather, it seems to me that the answer to extremism (of any kind) is moderation.

Is this not the case?

I give you an example (and I don't mean to change the subject -- this is just meant to be one example): Fox News claims that it is the answer to the liberal mainstream media. But it makes no sense to me that the answer to liberal-biased media ought to be conservative-biased media. Should not the answer really be no-biased media (i.e., moderate, objective, dispassionate, neutral media)?

In short, why conservatism over liberalism and not moderation over liberalism?

Oh please.. McLame is the chief conservative apologist and you see where that got us. Tell you what, for those of you liberal - lites intent on hijacking the conservative movement under the guise of compassionate conservatism, liberals love ya.. move along and go join the Democrat party. NO MORE PANDERING TO LIBERALS.. This country cannot afford it. If you hadn't noticed, we're in deep shit.. how much more do you want to give to lib policies??? NO THANKS.

Owl

First... welcome aboard

Second... What the extreme leftists are counting on is your approach... it is easier for the to continue to move further left when the 'opposition' moves more left in the guise of "moderation"... it is how we have got to the horrible place we are today...

Third... Conservatism is not extremism... It's not RHINO moderate, but it's not extremism... Right wing nutjobs would be the extremism... The super religious right or whatever other groups you would wish to name from that area of the political spectrum... personally I think that conservatives and blue dogs would be a group that could work well together... but hey, maybe that's just me

I'm wondering why those who dislike liberalism so commonly view conservatism as the antidote to liberalism?

It does not make sense to me that the answer to a perceived form of extremism (liberalism) is another form of extremism (conservatism); rather, it seems to me that the answer to extremism (of any kind) is moderation.

Is this not the case?

I give you an example (and I don't mean to change the subject -- this is just meant to be one example): Fox News claims that it is the answer to the liberal mainstream media. But it makes no sense to me that the answer to liberal-biased media ought to be conservative-biased media. Should not the answer really be no-biased media (i.e., moderate, objective, dispassionate, neutral media)?

reasearch was done by a university. They declared that Fox was the least biased news. Even CNN is liberal. So your example sucks.

And moderation as a counter to libralism is what got us here. So history is against doing it some more.

Unless you are insane.

Oh please.. McLame is the chief conservative apologist and you see where that got us. Tell you what, for those of you liberal - lites intent on hijacking the conservative movement under the guise of compassionate conservatism, liberals love ya.. move along and go join the Democrat party. NO MORE PANDERING TO LIBERALS.. This country cannot afford it. If you hadn't noticed, we're in deep shit.. how much more do you want to give to lib policies??? NO THANKS.

There's your answer.

Liberals started this country..and have maintained it.

Conservatives..like the ones seeking to own other humans beings..work diligently to change it to something more suitable to conservatism..like a theocracy or plutocracy.

Very simple.

Is this not the case?

reasearch was done by a university. They declared that Fox was the least biased news. Even CNN is liberal. So your example sucks.

And moderation as a counter to libralism is what got us here. So history is against doing it some more.

Unless you are insane.

Comedy gold.

Even Chris Wallace admits to the bias of FOX.

Still out on the news part.:eusa_whistle:

In any case..which university?

There's your answer.

Conservatives..like the ones seeking to own other humans beings..work diligently to change it to something more suitable to conservatism..like a theocracy or plutocracy.

Very simple.

And it's lines like that that show your ignorance and hyper-partisanship

Is this not the case?

Conservatism coupled with Libertarianism is not extreme, it's gets us to where we need to be as a country of grown ups; acting with the least possible governmental interference.

Also, moderation is for whimpy, indecisive people, there is no book of "Famous Moderates"

There's your answer.

Very simple.

Aren't you special?

Jumped right over LadyGunSlingers post and hit mine.

And then bray something about hyper-partisanship.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forcing people to live in reality - to accept and endure the consequences of their choices - is the only real antidote to liberalism.

Oh you mean like "Paygo"?

The policy conservatives dumped once they got the congress?

Or you mean like TARP? The George W. Bush bill that Boehner was crying for..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ja9q386ek]YouTube - ‪RINO Alert: John Boehner Voted for the TARP Bailout‬‏[/ame]

Bailing out rich folks with poor folks money with no strings attached.

It's the conservative way!:eek:

There's your answer.

Very simple.

Aren't you special?

Jumped right over LadyGunSlingers post and hit mine.

And then bray something about hyper-partisanship.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where she is talking about pandering to the opposition.. and you are talking about conservatives 'owning people' and want for theocracy and/or plutocracy

Yeah... which one of those is more extreme??

You're a really piece of hyper-partisan shit, and you get worse the longer you're here

Moderation is like a Vegan family and a Traditional family planning and eating Thanksgiving Dinner together.

It's more than twice as expensive.

You get much more food than you need.

And NOBODY is truly satisfied with the result.

Is this not the case?

Unless you are insane.

Comedy gold.

Even Chris Wallace admits to the bias of FOX.

Still out on the news part.:eusa_whistle:

In any case..which university?

Fox News: Fair And Balanced? - Forbes.com
So how could Fox have both the most balanced and the most anti-Obama coverage? Simple. It's because the other networks were all so pro-Obama. CMPA analyzed every soundbite by reporters and nonpartisan sources (excluding representative of the political parties) that evaluated the candidates and their policies. On the three broadcast networks combined, evaluations of Obama were 68% positive and 32% negative, compared to the only 36% positive and 64% negative evaluations of his GOP opponent John McCain.

Meanwhile, Fox's Special Report was dramatically tougher on Obama, with only 36% favorable vs. 64% unfavorable evaluations during the same time period. But McCain didn't fare much better, garnering only 40% favorable comments vs. 60% negative ones. So the broadcast networks gave good marks to one candidate and bad marks to another, while Fox was tough on both--and most balanced overall.

Brutally Honest: Fox News is most balanced according to University ...
Brutally Honest: Fox News is most balanced according to University study
^^^ this is the only link that mentioned the University study. But it's blocked to me.

Media Reports Hard on Clinton, Fox Most Balanced, Study Says - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
In the comparison of the major news networks and Fox News Channel, the study found that Fox News reports on Democratic presidential contenders were 51 percent positive and 49 percent negative, while for Republican contenders the percentages were 49 percent positive and 51 percent negative. For the three major news networks, the study found that reporting of Democratic candidates was 47 percent positive and 53 percent negative, and reports on Republican candidates was 40 percent positive and 60 percent negative.

Forcing people to live in reality - to accept and endure the consequences of their choices - is the only real antidote to liberalism.

Oh you mean like "Paygo"?

The policy conservatives dumped once they got the congress?

Or you mean like TARP? The George W. Bush bill that Boehner was crying for..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ja9q386ek]YouTube - ‪RINO Alert: John Boehner Voted for the TARP Bailout‬‏[/ame]

Bailing out rich folks with poor folks money with no strings attached.

It's the conservative way!:eek:

Actually, as you and I recall. the fiscal conservatives went batshitcrazy and had kittens when that money was used to save companies.

but yeah, Boehner is "I want to get re-elected" fiscal hawk.

There's your answer.

Very simple.

Liberals who want the government to control the doctor patient relationship, all banking, and all commerce...started this country?

What was there beef with the British, we weren't regulated enough?

That's why I'm an 18th century type of Liberal.. Actually no bad connotations there.

Individual sovereignty, basic distrust of govt. What's not to like? That's why we need to insist on the leftist label for our DEM pals. Liberal would be a slander to the Founding Fathers.

I see now that I shouldn't have used the Fox News example because it only succeeded in getting off-topic.

Anyway, even if Fox News is more balanced than CNN et al. (and I'm not saying it is or isn't), my point is still the same:

Why should a conservative bias, instead of an unbiased/objective moderate position, be viewed as a remedy to a liberal bias?

Last edited:

Is this not the case?

Unless you are insane.

reasearch was done by a university. [citation needed]

Forum List

Back