Why College students are debt slaves

Being in debt is being a good capitalist....because as Einstein said, compound interest is the strongest force in the universe...

Being in debt is being a good capitalist....because as Einstein said, compound interest is the strongest force in the universe...
Einstein walked around collecting other people's discarded cigarette butts to get tobacco for smoking in his pipe.

I'm in college and debt free. Probably because I made millions as a self employed owner 10 years prior to going. I was the smart one in my generation.

I'm in college and debt free. Probably because I made millions as a self employed owner 10 years prior to going. I was the smart one in my generation.

My oldest child is in her freshman year. No debt. That's what happens when you apply yourself. Full ride through academic scholarships.

So many kids learn in such different ways that they might do poorly in high school and not qualify for scholarships and have to go to community college to qualify for a univeesity. A very small percentage of high school students get scholarships.

I believe EVERY student should go 2 years at community college then final 2 years at university. It's most cost effective way to go. Pell grants make first 2 years free. While they go to school they can work part time and use that money to live off university campus cheaply with roommates then in doorm, then apply rest to tuition. They should be debt free after college and be able to pay rent upfront And focus on their studies Or continue to work part time for a resume after college and after 4 years have money to pay for an entire masters program.

This is all possible with 2 years at community college first. Lots of control and power in that.

My oldest child is in her freshman year. No debt. That's what happens when you apply yourself. Full ride through academic scholarships.

So many kids learn in such different ways that they might do poorly in high school and not qualify for scholarships and have to go to community college to qualify for a univeesity. A very small percentage of high school students get scholarships.

I believe EVERY student should go 2 years at community college then final 2 years at university. It's most cost effective way to go. Pell grants make first 2 years free. While they go to school they can work part time and use that money to live off university campus cheaply with roommates then in doorm, then apply rest to tuition. They should be debt free after college and be able to pay rent upfront And focus on their studies Or continue to work part time for a resume after college and after 4 years have money to pay for an entire masters program.

This is all possible with 2 years at community college first. Lots of control and power in that.

Put mine in the small percentage that did.

Why should my child go to a community college that's nothing more than the 13th and 14th grades in a situation where classes are taught to the weakest link instead of expecting those weaker links to get stronger? Mine is at a highly regarded private university getting an excellent education. That means she'll be one of those whose children will learn to earn what you get instead of expecting someone else to provide it to you. In other words, she'll be one who succeeds in life and, sadly, will be forced to fund things like what you proposed for those who whine that someone owes them something.

In other words, far from being caused by funding cuts, the astonishing rise in college tuition correlates closely with a huge increase in public subsidies for higher education. If over the past three decades car prices had gone up as fast as tuition, the average new car would cost more than $80,000. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...tuition-costs-so-much.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0
I wonder how long we could make a list of other things that have coincided with college tuition rates going up. :cool:

College students are debt slaves because that enriches the banksters...and everyone knows they are running the whole shebang.

It will skyrocket as long as people buy into the illusion that the road to riches is through a college education.

This is a very true and scary story. This past week in class the students have to write an essay about the 1960's. Some of the material learned is about Vietnam, Civil Rights Movement, MLK, Malcolm X, JFK/RFK, The Beatles, etc. My vocabulary word for them was "revolution", so in order to explain it I mentioned the Revolutionary War...I was in for a shock. Keep in mind these are not young children-these are 10th graders who are less than 2 years away from being adults.

-In one class they were confused because I called it the "U.S. Revolutionary War"....they thought I was talking about a different war because I didn't say the "Revolutionary War".

-In a classroom full of 25 students aged 15-17 not one of them could tell me who we fought in the war. Not ONE. They were engaged and compliant, they just had no clue what the answer was. It was pretty sad.

I have a grand son that will be starting to college in about 2 years. He has a 3.4GPA, member of national honor society, good SAT scores, and taking advanced placed courses. There is little chance of full scholarship. He will probably get several thousand a year. He will need about $68 thousands if he lives at home. The family will be able to provide $30 thousands and he will have need a college loan of about $38 thousands. If he get's in an out of state school, the costs will double.

This is a very true and scary story. This past week in class the students have to write an essay about the 1960's. Some of the material learned is about Vietnam, Civil Rights Movement, MLK, Malcolm X, JFK/RFK, The Beatles, etc. My vocabulary word for them was "revolution", so in order to explain it I mentioned the Revolutionary War...I was in for a shock. Keep in mind these are not young children-these are 10th graders who are less than 2 years away from being adults.

-In one class they were confused because I called it the "U.S. Revolutionary War"....they thought I was talking about a different war because I didn't say the "Revolutionary War".

-In a classroom full of 25 students aged 15-17 not one of them could tell me who we fought in the war. Not ONE. They were engaged and compliant, they just had no clue what the answer was. It was pretty sad.
Most kids in high school aren't interested history or other social studies. The only reason they have an interest in Science, Math, and English is they know they will need to get a degree in a field that they can earn a living. Knowing who fought in the Revolutionary War is nothing more than trivia for kids today. My granddaughter in the 10th grade thought Hitler was president of Germany in WWI.

Most kids in high school aren't interested history or other social studies.

Link?

Forum List

Back