Why Christians should support a smaller government

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Interesting paper on Christians and libertarianism.

In this short essay, I compare Secular America to ancient Babylon in order to convey my understanding of what it is like to live as a faithful Christian in a postmodern secular state. Just as the Jewish people wandered in exile in ancient Babylon, Christians wander today in an America that has rejected our God.

My pragmatic proposal for Christians living in the Age of Obama is to recognize that Babylonian law will typically reflect the morality and values of Babylon, not those of the America of our forefathers. The path to religious freedom in our society lies in an explosion of privatization, in a radical shrinking of the role of government in the lives of its citizens. As government retreats, religion will be free to advance. As government programs are cut and resources are returned to private citizens, we will be free to educate our children as we believe is best, to support causes we believe are right and good, to live our lives in accordance with our understanding of the good life and based upon our own theories of justice. In other words, a small Babylonian government should be the goal of Christians who find themselves living by the waters of Babylon here in Secular America.

By the Waters of Babylon: Christian Libertarianism in the Age of Obama by Richard Duncan :: SSRN

I have to agree, and add that I see this as the best solution overall. The less power the government has to do things I like the less chance it can do things I do not like.

I've always argued that you cannot see true Christianity flourish without limited government. Because it's only when there is no coercion that it can flourish.

No thanks.

Like we need any more religious influence on our laws and politics.

I agree. we need more religious influence on our actual conduct and behavior and our very natures much more than our laws and politics. Law and politics will just be influenced indirectly after that.

That's precisely why a limited government is best for all. Non-religious people will not have any particular religion made the state religion and people of faith may exercise their religion freely without interference of the government.

In this short essay, I compare Secular America to ancient Babylon in order to convey my understanding of what it is like to live as a faithful Christian in a postmodern secular state. Just as the Jewish people wandered in exile in ancient Babylon, Christians wander today in an America that has rejected our God.

My pragmatic proposal for Christians living in the Age of Obama is to recognize that Babylonian law will typically reflect the morality and values of Babylon, not those of the America of our forefathers. The path to religious freedom in our society lies in an explosion of privatization, in a radical shrinking of the role of government in the lives of its citizens. As government retreats, religion will be free to advance. As government programs are cut and resources are returned to private citizens, we will be free to educate our children as we believe is best, to support causes we believe are right and good, to live our lives in accordance with our understanding of the good life and based upon our own theories of justice. In other words, a small Babylonian government should be the goal of Christians who find themselves living by the waters of Babylon here in Secular America.

By the Waters of Babylon: Christian Libertarianism in the Age of Obama by Richard Duncan :: SSRN

I have to agree, and add that I see this as the best solution overall. The less power the government has to do things I like the less chance it can do things I do not like.

But.......how are they going to regulate birth control and stop the gays from being married if the government is small?

The Christians want to interfere in other people's lives (i.e. bedroom and health care), so exactly how is small government going to help them?

For some reason, people have the idea that limited government means no government whatsoever. Does 2% milk mean no fat now too?

For some reason, those same people seem to think that the government should not protect the one thing it's empowered to actually protect: Life.

It doesn't make much sense.

Oh and leftwing propaganda aside, no one is trying to regulate birth control or prevent people from enter into whatever relationship they desire.

But.......how are they going to regulate birth control and stop the gays from being married if the government is small?

The Christians want to interfere in other people's lives (i.e. bedroom and health care), so exactly how is small government going to help them?

Christians' don't want to get into peoples lives half as much as you think. Come to think of it, they don't even want to get into a thousandth as much as you.

I've always argued that you cannot see true Christianity flourish without limited government. Because it's only when there is no coercion that it can flourish.

I'll bet that there times when the Pope wishes he was still the de facto king of Southern Europe, complete with a taxpayer funded army and navy at his disposal, and the right to enter into treaties with other heads of state with armies. It simply HAD to be a more efficient way to run a church.

I'll bet that there times when the Pope wishes he was still the de facto king of Southern Europe, complete with a taxpayer funded army and navy at his disposal, and the right to enter into treaties with other heads of state with armies. It simply HAD to be a more efficient way to run a church.

I bet there are times you wish you were king of the world too, so what?

So me and mine don't have a history of foisting our grandiose delusions of personal grandeur on the world at large.

Government is the left-handed version of the same fucking tool that religion is and both are used by the rich and famous to organize political and social activity.

So me and mine don't have a history of exercising our grandiose delusions of personal grandeur on the world at large.

Government is the left-handed version of the same fucking tool that religion is and both are used by the rich and famous to organize political and social activity.

I can guarantee that one of your ancestors was a slave owner, and that someone else not only had delusions of grandeur, but he also foisted them on the world at large. I will, however, accept the fact that you yourself have not done those things as long as you accept that Joseph Ratzinger hasn't done that either.

Maybe. Though to be honest i dont see how he would be prohibited from entering into treaties.

Maybe. Though to be honest i dont see how he would be prohibited from entering into treaties.

As the de facto head of the Vatican, which is an independent country, and no government that can overrule him, he has whatever powers he gives himself with regard to treaties.

Forum List

Back