Why China Is Emerging as a Tech Superpower to Rival the U.S.

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Denizen, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Denizen

Denizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Donald Trump started the trade war out of fear that China was overtaking the US in technology as the drone story below describes.

China is also unrivaled in the rapid pace from concept to manufacturing and then to market.

It's not only Donald Trump that is fearful, it is the US military that is also fearful that China's technological development will also reflect in greater military capabilities.

Unfortunately for Donald Trump, he is a decade too late to obstruct China's technical evolution and its ascendancy.

Why China Is Emerging as a Tech Superpower to Rival the U.S.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,881
    Technical superiority doesn't come from manufacturing, it comes from innovation. China makes the iPhones. But, the next generation of iPhones come from Apple, based in Cupertino.

Augmented reality, generated adversarial networks, artificially intelligent operating systems, general purpose robotics... all of those innovations come out of the US and subsidiaries of US companies abroad.

I have great respect for what China has developed in the last 30-years. Since Nixon opened China to the West, they've gone from a technologically backwards country to a manufacturing power house second to none.

Chinese companies like Tencent are a good start. But, Tencent is a holding company that invests in technology development globally for the Chinese Market, not the other way around. China still lacks the R&D infrastructure that America has been developing for over a century. Collaboration between academia and industry exists in America as it exists almost no where else.

I can't say what the future holds, but for the near term, China 's role in the technology game will be manufacturing what Google, Apple, Oracle, and other companies invent.

3. Denizen

Denizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +696
    One-eyed, tunnel vision, view.

4. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Good topic. My usual ideas are:

-China will naturally recover from WWII, its civil war and some incorrect economic policies. Of course they are getting better / catching up.

-Thank god they are catching up. I don't want that large a country to be backwards and angry.

-My god, part of waht you pay for every Chinese Iphone leaves America to go fund their Space Force or whatever.

-I wonder how close they really are militarily. Where is Tom Clancy when u need him!

-I worry we'll end up in a proxy war with one of our Allies fighting a Chinese supplied military as the big kids on the block have to deel eachother out.

5. Denizen

Denizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +696
    That is indeed a concern because it is arguable that the US has not won a war since WW2.

6. anotherlife

anotherlife Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    It would be relatively easy to start a war between China and Siberia, where the Chinese resources are. I am sure that Trump has thought of that, so the Chinese danger is not all that big. The European danger is bigger.

7. Denizen

Denizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +696
    You are evidently a resident of Trumpland.

Your post is nonsense. Siberia is part of Russia, not China and probably does not have the means, the cause, or the will to fight China.

8. Windparadox

Windparadox Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,658
    `
    China has been known to steal a lot of their tech.

9. Denizen

Denizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +696
    The US is not innocent in that regard. It's arguable that all US rocket technology is stolen from Germans.

10. Muhammed

Muhammed Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,901
    It is arguable that losing the lives of 400,000 young men, with countless others permanently disabled, while gaining absolutely nothing, does not constitute "winning" a war.