Why CBS NEWS Retains An Ounce Of Respect From Me (And Maybe You Too?)

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
i know CBS NEWS is pretty much a joke now, but there is still one part of their news dept. I greatly respect and appreciate. PLEASE inform/correct me if i'm wrong, but they are the only evening news broadcast to feature a daily memorial to fallen soldiers in Iraq.

Since this began a while back, it has since become a staple for me to drop whatever I'm doing (underway, busy, whatever) and find a TV and turn on CBS News to catch this short 30 second tribute to a fallen soldier. Its a way for me everyday to express my support of my comrades in Iraq, my grief at their sacrifice and a physical face and story for me to pray about every night. I have had the unpleasant experience of seeing two fallen friends profiled, as well as an Army recruiter (and a good man, he adopted a child each from bosnia, kosovo and afghanistan during his time in those operational areas) who used to recruit folks at my prior college (NC A&T).

FALLEN HEROES is a testament to responsible journalism and true, heartfelt patriotism. At a time when CBS could have more ad revenue or air a stupid entertainment story, they honor the fallen, briefly describing their life before the army, their family ties and their service in Iraq, and sometimes, the terrible ironies their death causes (today's was a man whose first child was born just a little while after he died).

If you get a chance, please watch these FALLEN HEROES segments (you can do it on cbsnews.com also). You will not regret it, nor forget it.

It could be applauded if their motive for doing it was sincere concern and not politics. This has a political motive behind it like everything else that comes from CBS. They hit upon this idea to daily remind Americans about the flag-draped coffins coming back from Iraq. Just another instance of their duplicity, in my opinion. More people are killed on U.S. highways in a day's time than the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq since the war on terrorism began. Where's CBS's concern about that? Where was CBS's
concern for the American soldier when they pubished the Abu Ghraib prison pictures? This is not an intended insult to you, Nato Air, regarding your post, but rather an outrage at CBS for their pretended concern for American soldiers fighting in Iraq.

I don't think it matters what anyone thinks their motive is.. I, too, watch Fallen Hero's every chance I get, and it's an outstanding segment that really hits home, and reminds you of exactly why we're where we are today. These people bravely chose to fight for *our* freedom as a nation. These guys are real people.. With mothers..fathers..wives..children..pets.. Not just robots, war mongers, etc. trained to kill, like *some* try to pass them off as

Regardless of the method to CBS' madness, so long as they continue to air it in a respectful, well thought out manner, I'll continue to watch it.

:usa:

Adam's Apple said:
It could be applauded if their motive for doing it was sincere concern and not politics. This has a political motive behind it like everything else that comes from CBS. They hit upon this idea to daily remind Americans about the flag-draped coffins coming back from Iraq. Just another instance of their duplicity, in my opinion. More people are killed on U.S. highways in a day's time than the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq since the war on terrorism began. Where's CBS's concern about that? Where was CBS's
concern for the American soldier when they pubished the Abu Ghraib prison pictures? This is not an intended insult to you, Nato Air, regarding your post, but rather an outrage at CBS for their pretended concern for American soldiers fighting in Iraq.

i see it like this: the country acts like Iraq is not happening. the majority of people do not understand the hell our men and women over there go through. the majority of the country worries about another 9/11 but lives unchanged lives, showing more interest in themselves, what they want and what celebrity is sleeping with who, blazhy blah.

here are men and women dying for their nation, and hardly anyone pauses to think of them. how many times does the typical american actually "think" about iraq and our men and women over there? i'm not trying to be mean or unfair, but the reality is very little... except for those on the front lines and those in the military as a whole, their families and those in government/media, hardly anyone notices unless something tremendously horrible happens.

this puts a human face on iraq, which is normally reported about in the vein of the latest kidnapping, bombing or slaughter of innocents. people see the good the military does for some people, see how it can bring out the best in others, see how important serving one's country is to all. whatever political bent that may be contained in the reasoning for the segment, it is VASTLY overshadowed by the HUMAN face and emotional connection the segment creates with many viewers.

PLEASE inform/correct me if i'm wrong, but they are the only evening news broadcast to feature a daily memorial to fallen soldiers in Iraq.

It's been awhile since I've caught it, but I'll bet at the end of NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS (7-8pm EST) they still show pictures and names of each fallen soldier.

Since NewsHour with Jim Lehrer is generally "fair and balanced" in its reporting of the news, it is much easier to believe that their tributes to the American soldier are sincere with no political agenda or forethought attached.

I think I could dispute that "fair and balanced" statement about anything on PBS. But that's not the point. Personally, the problem I have with CBS's presentation of profiles of deceased soldiers is that I believe that the network is desecrating the memory of these people because CBS does not seek to memorialize the dead, but instead seeks to score political points for kerry. If that is the case, then using the deaths of these soldiers is one of the most despicable acts ever committed by CBS.

There was a time that I would not have taken this attitude toward CBS, but given their behavior over the last ten years, I have become suspicious of everything they do.

even if it is a political tool on their part, i don't think its very effective.

it has only made my commitment to success in iraq that much stronger, as well as my respect for those in the army and marines. in the navy, we do not sacrifice near as much as we did in the past... this isn't ww2 with elaborate, destructive naval battles. we sit on the boats mostly and try to avoid missile and small boat attacks (as well as submarines). one day the navy may experience blood loss in the way soldiers and marines have, but i do hope that day never comes.

to see warriors who go back to save dying comrades, who take heavy fire to defend innocent iraqis, who risk life and limb every time they go on patrol, who leave behind worried sick family, i appreciate them much more than i could ever in the past. now i understand and appreciate a bit more of what shaped my father in vietnam and other family members who've fought in war.

so i think there are a number of people who may feel the same way, how can you not support more fervently these guys who are giving their all and paying the ultimate price?

I support the U. S. soldier to the max; it's CBS and its deceitful political modus operandi that I do not support.

Adam's Apple said:
I support the U. S. soldier to the max; it's CBS and its deceitful political modus operandi that I do not support.

of course
after memogate, its hard to stomach 60 Minutes anymore (though they still have good reports at times)

Forum List

Back