Why care what the Arab League or African Union thinks about Libya?

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
I mean is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that we care about the Opinion of these 2 groups hold on Qaddafi. Both of which are made up of Nations mostly led by Dictators not unlike Qaddafi?

Is it not crazy to expect the Opposition in Libya to believe the African Union is an honest broker in Talks, when as I stated most of those nations are led by dictators themselves?

Unilateralism is nice and all, but this just does not make sense. Most of the nations in Both the Arab League and the African Union have an interest in seeing Qaddafi stay. Lest his replacement by Democracy further fuel movements for democracy in their own Countries.

Can someone please explain to me why their opinions matter on this subject. Are we really to believe that A bunch of Dictators care about the Freedom or Rights of Libyans?

I mean is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that we care about the Opinion of these 2 groups hold on Qaddafi. Both of which are made up of Nations mostly led by Dictators not unlike Qaddafi?

Is it not crazy to expect the Opposition in Libya to believe the African Union is an honest broker in Talks, when as I stated most of those nations are led by dictators themselves?

Unilateralism is nice and all, but this just does not make sense. Most of the nations in Both the Arab League and the African Union have an interest in seeing Qaddafi stay. Lest his replacement by Democracy further fuel movements for democracy in their own Countries.

Can someone please explain to me why their opinions matter on this subject. Are we really to believe that A bunch of Dictators care about the Freedom or Rights of Libyans?

That's simply not true. Almost all of the nations in the African Union are constitutional democratic republics. Most of the nations in the Arab League are constitutional monarchies.

That's simply not true. Almost all of the nations in the African Union are constitutional democratic republics. Most of the nations in the Arab League are constitutional monarchies.

Ok so ill concede the point on the African Union(even though most of those so called republics are really not much than a banana republic), but most of those so called constitutional Monarchies you refer to in the Arab League amount to not much more than a dictatorship. After all I assume you are counting Saudi? Yemen? Oman? You see a distinct difference between the way those nations treat their people, and the freedoms they give and a dictatorship? I sure don't.

Lets look at who is in the Arab League:

Algeria Bahrain Comoros Djibouti
Egypt Iraq Jordan Kuwait
Lebanon Libya Mauritania Morocco
Oman Palestine Qatar Saudi Arabia
Somalia Sudan Syria Tunisia

I see many Nations on that list that are currently having their own Uprising, People rising up against a repressive Regime. Whether it be a dictator or a Monarch.

Last edited:

Ok so ill concede the point on the African Union, but most of those so called constitutional Monarchies you refer to in the Arab League amount to not much more than a dictatorship. After all I assume you are counting Saudi? Yemen? Oman? You see a distinct difference between the way those nations treat their people, and the freedoms they give and a dictatorship? I sure don't

Saudi Arabia is absolutely a dictatorship. So is Oman, and Yemen, and the UAE states.

But Jordan, Kuwait, present-day Iraq, Palestine, Lebanon, Sudan, etc are not.

(Please keep in mind that I am in no way endorsing any of the governments I mentioned. I am simply stating that they are not autocratic states, not that I agree with any of their policies).

The real question is why doesn't the administration care what Congress and the people have to say about it all?

Forum List

Back