Why can't you sell a kidney?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Actor Michael J. Fox campaigned for democrats about fifteen years ago because he believed that tissue gleaned from the killing of unborn humans might cure his Parkinsons disease. How many humans died to prove him wrong? My point is that the social stigma about selling human body parts is no longer valid. They have been killing millions of unborn humans for the last forty years and telling us that their body parts are useful in research programs. People donate kidneys to relatives every day and save their lives but for some reason the federal government thinks it's a sin against humanity if a person wants to sell a body part to a desperate rich person for a big paycheck. Why not? They want to mine your dead ass for valuables if you check off that box on your drivers license. Why not get a big check while you are still alive?

My point is that the social stigma about selling human body parts is no longer valid.

Of course it is. No one thinks early term fetuses are persons. But people do think actual persons are persons.

Once you declare body parts are a free market commodity, to be bought and sold at will, how do you stop standard civil law from applying to them? Do they count as assets? Do you have to fork over a kidney to settle your bankruptcy claim?

The slippery slope issues are very real. Shall we end up like China, and start harvesting the parts of executed prisoners? Why not? Shouldn't those criminals repay their debt to society?

My point is that the social stigma about selling human body parts is no longer valid.

Of course it is. No one thinks early term fetuses are persons. But people do think actual persons are persons.

Once you declare body parts are a free market commodity, to be bought and sold at will, how do you stop standard civil law from applying to them? Do they count as assets? Do you have to fork over a kidney to settle your bankruptcy claim?

The slippery slope issues are very real. Shall we end up like China, and start harvesting the parts of executed prisoners? Why not? Shouldn't those criminals repay their debt to society?

How do you standard civil law from applying to them? How do you enforce any law? The "slippery slope" occurs when the government becomes part of the conspiracy. I assume that government sponsored agencies who see that check on a driver's license and swoop down to glean all your formerly owned body parts make a buck off transactions that they probably keep secret. All I am saying is that you make a buck while you are still alive.

The OP says absolutely nothing about harvesting organs from executed criminals. Rather, it talks of voluntary actions, free will and establishing a contract. All of which are legal acts in this country as long as such acts do not violate the rights of some other person. The OP says nothing about forcing a person to fork over kidney for any reason (your false example of bankruptcy), again, a voluntary act of free will with a contract.
Legally, I can sell whole blood, plasma or platelets. Why can't I sell a kidney to a person in need, or one of my eyes to a blind man? Why is a personal contract for those items somehow different than a personal contract for blood or labor?

The OP says absolutely nothing about harvesting organs from executed criminals. Rather, it talks of voluntary actions, free will and establishing a contract. All of which are legal acts in this country as long as such acts do not violate the rights of some other person. The OP says nothing about forcing a person to fork over kidney for any reason (your false example of bankruptcy), again, a voluntary act of free will with a contract.
Legally, I can sell whole blood, plasma or platelets. Why can't I sell a kidney to a person in need, or one of my eyes to a blind man? Why is a personal contract for those items somehow different than a personal contract for blood or labor?

one reason is becasue the howl will go up that only the "rich" are obtaining transplants and the process is no longer based on need.

A contract sounds good. How many trailer trash hopeless could be on easy street minus a kidney? Ease up people. It's the kind of a concept we could have fun with and maybe do the right thing.

How many humans died to prove him wrong?

Tissue cells are not human. You cannot redefine traditional definitions to create your own unfounded facts.

I am for only limited abortion before you wet the bed: rape, incest, and health of the mother should be the only exceptions.

one reason is becasue the howl will go up that only the "rich" are obtaining transplants and the process is no longer based on need.
Alternatively, the poor are not allowed to benefit (profit) off of a commodity that they posses.

Just a thought here.........
I am listed as a donor on my drivers license for any usable organs or parts if I die. Why not let me designate that donor ship as a salable commodity to my surviving children? Damn, if I die in an accident, why not let my children reap some benefit from my death?

A contract sounds good. How many trailer trash hopeless could be on easy street minus a kidney? Ease up people. It's the kind of a concept we could have fun with and maybe do the right thing.

I am unsure why you used the term "trailer trash".

Well, that's exactly what would happen.

Alternatively, the poor are not allowed to benefit (profit) off of a commodity that they posses.

Just a thought here.........
I am listed as a donor on my drivers license for any usable organs or parts if I die. Why not let me designate that donor ship as a salable commodity to my surviving children? Damn, if I die in an accident, why not let my children reap some benefit from my death?

i understand the arguments.

I guess I shouldn't have done the Michael Fox/fetal tissue comparison but it was so tempting. What if we deal with the fact that dead people donate organs all the time and the government gets to make the decision about where the treasures go and their families don't get a dime and probably have to cough up the dead tax.. Is organ donation such a "rich" vs poor issue that we trust the government to make the decision about which Saudi Prince gets the treasure?

The government apparently allows young women to enter into a contract that benefits them when they give away a newborn child to the highest bidder. The government even sanctions the carrying of a implanted sperm for nine months and turning over the body part for a profit. The government loves it when close relatives donate extra organs for free. Why can't men sell an extra organ for profit?

The government loves it when close relatives donate extra organs for free. Why can't men sell an extra organ for profit?

Answer the question "Why can't people voluntarily sell themselves into slavery", and you'll also answer why we don't allow organs to be sold. Buying organs is just too much like buying people.

The government loves it when close relatives donate extra organs for free. Why can't men sell an extra organ for profit?

Answer the question "Why can't people voluntarily sell themselves into slavery", and you'll also answer why we don't allow organs to be sold. Buying organs is just too much like buying people.

Slavery is a pretty far fetched argument don't you think? People can and do donate body parts to family members for free and if you check that box on the drivers license you give the government the option to harvest your organs while your body is still warm. Why not make a buck?

Actor Michael J. Fox campaigned for democrats about fifteen years ago because he believed that tissue gleaned from the killing of unborn humans might cure his Parkinsons disease. How many humans died to prove him wrong? My point is that the social stigma about selling human body parts is no longer valid. They have been killing millions of unborn humans for the last forty years and telling us that their body parts are useful in research programs. People donate kidneys to relatives every day and save their lives but for some reason the federal government thinks it's a sin against humanity if a person wants to sell a body part to a desperate rich person for a big paycheck. Why not? They want to mine your dead ass for valuables if you check off that box on your drivers license. Why not get a big check while you are still alive?

I agree.

You ought to have that right.

Every notice how when we are asked to DONATE body parts, blood etc, the ONLY people who do not benefit ARE THE DONORS?

Everybody else gets paid, thank you very much.

Forum List

Back