Why can't something good happen for a change?

For Immie:

Tired of Speaking Sweetly

Love wants to reach out and manhandle us,
Break all our teacup talk of God.
If you had the courage and
Could give the Beloved His choice, some nights,
He would just drag you around the room
By your hair,
Ripping from your grip all those toys in the world
That bring you no joy.
Love sometimes gets tired of speaking sweetly
And wants to rip to shreds
All your erroneous notions of truth
That make you fight within yourself, dear one,
And with others,
Causing the world to weep
On too many fine days.
God wants to manhandle us,
Lock us inside of a tiny room with Himself
And practice His dropkick.
The Beloved sometimes wants
To do us a great favor:
Hold us upside down
And shake all the nonsense out.
But when we hear
He is in such a "playful drunken mood"
Most everyone I know
Quickly packs their bags and hightails it
Out of town.

Hafiz

LIfe sucks!

Nothing what so ever good has happened in the past three years and that has nothing to do with our current President, the economy or anything else. Hell, come to think of it, nothing good has happened in the last ten years for that matter.

Life just plain sucks these days.

No, I am not considering harming myself... I just wish there was something to celebrate for a change! Anyone have a cold beer they can pass me?

Immie

I'm simply not supposed to be around. Why my doctors are dying and I'm staying alive is beyond me.

And George Burns. :thup:

Do you do any volunteering?

I was volunteering for a hospice organization until the middle of January. I have taken a leave of absense. I just don't feel all that charitable these days.

Immie

Thinking about this a little longer, I recall being particularly struck by the movie "Midnight in Paris," because all the characters are nostalgic for an older time when things were better. The time and place they were born in was never good enough or exciting enough compared to the way things were...or how they BELIEVED things were.

My point is, maybe things were just as crappy in the good ol' days to those living in those times. I'm 25...10 years ago I was concerned with the zit on my nose and making it home in time to watch my cartoons on Nickelodeon...so I may not know of what I speak.

LIfe sucks!

Nothing what so ever good has happened in the past three years and that has nothing to do with our current President, the economy or anything else. Hell, come to think of it, nothing good has happened in the last ten years for that matter.

No, I am not considering harming myself... I just wish there was something to celebrate for a change! Anyone have a cold beer they can pass me?

Immie

I'm simply not supposed to be around. Why my doctors are dying and I'm staying alive is beyond me.

And George Burns. :thup:

I was volunteering for a hospice organization until the middle of January. I have taken a leave of absense. I just don't feel all that charitable these days.

Immie

You may have gotten burned out. Be kind to yourself. Charity begins at home, in your own heart.

Thinking about this a little longer, I recall being particularly struck by the movie "Midnight in Paris," because all the characters are nostalgic for an older time when things were better. The time and place they were born in was never good enough or exciting enough compared to the way things were...or how they BELIEVED things were.

My point is, maybe things were just as crappy in the good ol' days to those living in those times. I'm 25...10 years ago I was concerned with the zit on my nose and making it home in time to watch my cartoons on Nickelodeon...so I may not know of what I speak.

But, but, but, I was part of the "Happy Days" generation and yes, I mean the TV show not the times they portrayed.

By the way, welcome to USMB and thanks the the attempt with the list of good things that have happened.

Immie

Immie's having a bad hair day.
(Immie, next time wear underwear, it helps keep the hair out of the zipper........ I know......)

You might have a point if

1) I had enough hair on the top of my head to have that kind of a bad hair day and

2) I wasn't wearing swim shorts without a fly. After all, I live in Florida, why do I need anything but shorts?

Immie
Wow, this is bad, some serious intervention is needed.
(Where's my Jack Daniels, Dilaudid mix tranquilizer darts?)

Immie's having a bad hair day.
(Immie, next time wear underwear, it helps keep the hair out of the zipper........ I know......)

You might have a point if

1) I had enough hair on the top of my head to have that kind of a bad hair day and

2) I wasn't wearing swim shorts without a fly. After all, I live in Florida, why do I need anything but shorts?

Immie
Wow, this is bad, some serious intervention is needed.
(Where's my Jack Daniels, Dilaudid mix tranquilizer darts?)

Did someone say Jack?

Immie

You might easily be suffering a burnout Immie. Hospice work can be very emotionally/spiritually draining.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn last night.

There are two pairs of cardinals living in my back yard.

Daytona is tomorrow.

:thup:

But, but, but, I was part of the "Happy Days" generation and yes, I mean the TV show not the times they portrayed.

By the way, welcome to USMB and thanks the the attempt with the list of good things that have happened.

Immie

Man, I miss "Happy Days," and "Wonder Years!" Point taken, though...you'd remember more about society in the past than I would.

Thank you very much for the welcome. I was trying to be somewhat comical in my list. I know the world seems grim. I find myself wanting to punch people in the teeth for being so oblivious and inconsiderate when it comes to others. If there was zero chance I could be brought up on assault charges, I'd advise that you buy stock in whatever company produces dentures.

I'm a hopeless optimist and always strive to see the silver-lining. You almost have to be these days to cope with reality. I've been robbed at gun point, had my bike stolen, was hit by a car while riding my other bike, and had a manhunt reach its conclusion on my front lawn within the past year. I saw each event as follows:

• Robbery = Because I kept my phone active, the police tracked that fuck down, arrested him and returned my belongings. Also, I was happy to not get shot in the shoulderblade.
  • Stolen Bike = I coordinated an undercover sting operation with the police the next day to retrieve it. What better way to celebrate Columbus Day than to embark on an adventure?!
  • Accident = Well...clearly I didn't die. No broken bones. I was able to swear at the guy immediately. I was very sore and stiff, but went for a nice long walk the next day. My insurance company covered my medical bills. And it was the night before Thanksgiving...I had a LOT to be thankful for at dinner the next day.
  • Manhunt = I wan't in immediate danger, and it was like having a movie reach its climax (heh) at my house.

I dunno. Life can be shitty, but it's all in how you deal with it.

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver-lining"

Last edited:
First World Problems, and all that...

Always questioning, always learning, always growing, always thankful for what I have and the possibilities before me.

LIfe sucks!

Immie

Compared to what? :dunno:

Just being born in "The West" circa 2012 you're among the richest 33% world-wide currently and among the top 20% of all humans.

What does wealth have to do with anything?

Even Bill Gates can't buy an America that is not run by thieves. He can't buy a country where we consider each other brothers and sisters again instead of those "damned old conservatives" or those ('xcuse the French) "fucking progressives".

Hell, the way we treat each other, we may as well live in Afghanistan!

Immie

then stop lying and you may see a change

Immy , is the death of Obama a bad thing?

His death would be a terrible thing. Not just because he is a human being who has a wife (who I kind of like) and two lovely children, but his death in office would be bad for America. We don't need the turmoil that would put us in.

I don't like his policies and I would like to see him defeated in November. But, his defeat (meaning that elitist Romney would then be our President) is not going to change the policy of the politicians in Washington.

Romney is no better than Obama. Neither would be Hilary Clinton, Ron Paul, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich or any other of the Washington elite. Our problems stem not from a single person, but rather what the leadership, regardless of party affiliation, of this country has become.

It is not the person that is the problem, but yes, President Obama is taking the heat as he should, but rather the corruption and politics involved in Washington that is the problem. It is much bigger than any single person in Washington let alone the entire country.

President Obama is not an evil man and I pray for him regularly. I should pray much more often than I do, but I have been struggling of late. I pray no harm come to him whatsoever.

Immie

Last edited:
You know, I think back to 1976 when we celebrated the bi-centenial. I was a teenager then, and most likely blind to what was really going on in the world, but I remember that 4th of July (even remember where my family celebrated it) but it seemed to me that America was one back then.

Wow. You must have been really young back then. Our country was completely in the shitter. A President had resigned, Weathermen were blowing up police stations, our veterans were home from East Asia and being treated like shit, the country was completely demoralized and polarized after a decade of race riots, sit-ins, bra-burnings, Watergate hearings, assassinations, illegal CIA wiretappings, oil embargoes, wage and price freezes, long gas lines, urban blight, runaway inflation, and a stagnant economy. And in 1976 there was no light at the end of the tunnel yet.

America was one? Hell, we haven't been that divided since 1865.

I am glad your parents kept you insulated from all that, but you should know our history. It will give you perspective.

Last edited:

Best solution offerred in this topic.

It is pretty hard to feel sorry for yourself when you are helping someone worse off. I call it "The Sucks-To-Be-You Cure". :lol:

But seriously, volunteer work can really boost the spirits, with the added benefit of improving others' lives.

You know, I think back to 1976 when we celebrated the bi-centenial. I was a teenager then, and most likely blind to what was really going on in the world, but I remember that 4th of July (even remember where my family celebrated it) but it seemed to me that America was one back then.

Wow. You must have been really young back then. Our country was completely in the shitter. A President had resigned, Weathermen were blowing up police stations, our veterans were home from East Asia and being treated like shit, the country was completely demoralized and polarized after a decade of race riots, sit-ins, bra-burnings, Watergate hearings, assassinations, illegal CIA wiretappings, oil embargoes, wage and price freezes, long gas lines, urban blight, runaway inflation, and a stagnant economy. And in 1976 there was no light at the end of the tunnel yet.

I am glad your parents kept you insulated from all that, but you should know our history. It will give you perspective.

Yet, we're a hell of a lot more divided today than we were on 7/4/1976 and only getting worse.

Immie

I went through the 70's, too (I 'spect I might even be older than you)... and, yeah, it had all those things you said... but you've blown the bad stuff all outta proportion... the 70's were actually a pretty cool time to be alive... too bad the 70's sucked for you...

Forum List

Back