Why can't I download pics from my camera?

I've never had a horse with thrush before. But generally I pick out their feet once in a while.

But here I am in the middle of nowhere, where people who can't even DRIVE and who don't have cars have horses...and I had to travel 90 miles to purchase a 95 cent hoofpick.

Of course, I could have used a screwdriver or a nail, but I didn't. I wanted a damn hoofpick.

Then the farrier came out before I had a chance to use it this last time, and she's developed thrush in the last 8 weeks. Great. Her pasture is dry, but her feet are much deeper and larger than the Arabs and a creek runs through it. So stuff gets packed in there and never sees the light of day. I'm a bad horseowner now.

BTW, you'll be green with envy...a friend gave me the Polish mare. She belonged to a woman who had a herd of about 30 and is dying of cancer, so had to liquidate the herd. She gave the mare and her baby to my friend, who gave me the mare and kept the baby.

She's at least 15.1 and possibly 15.2 hands tall, and her going gait is almost a single foot. I've never ridden a walker who was smoother.

BTW, you'll be green with envy...a friend gave me the Polish mare. She belonged to a woman who had a herd of about 30 and is dying of cancer, so had to liquidate the herd. She gave the mare and her baby to my friend, who gave me the mare and kept the baby.

She's at least 15.1 and possibly 15.2 hands tall, and her going gait is almost a single foot. I've never ridden a walker who was smoother.

Wow! You did luck out - that is awesome!

Most of the good Arabs I've ridden were very, very smooth. And you should have less trouble with the Arab's hooves than the others. They typically stay sound in that respect.

Her feet are small, but sound. Usually Arabs have good sized feet, too.

But they aren't prone to thrush...they're pretty down there on the ground.

Here's the appy I had, briefly, on his way to horse heaven. He was completely blind, and had had a foot that had been sectioned away after a bad infection (probably had something to do with his blindness). He came to a friend of mine who sells horses and didn't want to do him in and wouldn't sell him (well, he probably would have, if anyone was stupid enough to buy him.)

I kept him for about 6 months. By himself he was great...I had to be careful of the kids because he was completely blind, but he'd move out like nobody's business, you had to know horses to know he was blind. Or be there when he ran into something.

But when I brought the other horses in and moved from the barn, he was dangerous. He almost bit my daughter's face when she (against my instructions) tried to pet his head when his head was in a bucket. He thought she was another horse, and that was his reaction.

She minds around the horses now, btw. That happens when you come so close to having your face snapped off.

The friend who brought the mare to me took him with her to her place, and put him down in green pastures. His name was Rascal. He's hideous. Again with the long back. It's my karma.

He walked right out, too....not that I ever rode him. I put the kids on him in a round pen and would lead them around, and let them use the halter and walk him in a circle while on him. He wouldn't jump, he was blind in both eyes...sometimes a horse who is blind in just one is more dangerous...they'll jump away from their sighted side towards the blind side and squish whomever is there...

Anyway, I agreed to take him essentially sight unseen (hey, a pun) and we enjoyed him while we had him, and gave him lots of love. No idea how old he was. Old enough. I'll bet he was a turd when he had sight, though. He was pretty spirited without it.

Rascal:
1213054495.jpg

Forum List

Back