Why can't black people....

Pho_King

Rookie
Mar 19, 2012
....drive NASCAR? I mean seriously! There are no black drivers! One quick look at Cops or worlds wildest police videos and it's clear that black people can certainly drive fast if properly motivated. I guess the millions NASCAR offers is not enough motivation. Even women have that bowlegged skank, and women biologically cannot drive, like Asians. So why not our chocolate faced brothers? I am especially interested in the opinions of our resident chocolate faces, unkotard, high gravity, and Huey. MarkAtl I suppose could pipe in, but I believe he is retarded.

Driver’s Seat Elusive for Black Racers

dog-nascar-1-articleLarge.jpg
Kristian Dowling/BET Networks, via PR Newswire
Darrell Wallace Jr., 18, is scheduled to make his Nascar debut Sunday in a Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway.

By VIV BERNSTEIN

Published: May 19, 2012

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Print
  • Reprints

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — Darrell Wallace Jr. was playing Amateur Athletic Union basketball at 8 and perhaps on a path to college ball when his father bought him a go-kart after a trip to a local track.

Enlarge This Image

Associated Press

Wendell Scott was the only black driver to win a Nascar race, in 1964.

Enlarge This Image

Darryl Graham/Associated Press

Marc Davis raced in the Nationwide Series after being signed by Joe Gibbs Racing.

Enlarge This Image

Paul Sancya/Associated Press

Bill Lester is the only black driver to start a Sprint Cup race since 1986.

“He was good right off the bat,” Darrell Wallace Sr. said. “But at 8 years old, do you think your son’s going to be the next Dale Earnhardt, or the next Joe Montana or Brett Favre?”
How about the next Wendell Scott?
Scott competed in 495 races in Nascar’s premier series — now Sprint Cup — in the 1960s and ‘70s and was the only black driver to win a race. Only five other blacks have started a handful of races in the 64-year history of Nascar and only one did so since 1986 — Bill Lester, who entered two Cup events in 2006.
Nearly every major American sport has black stars, including Tiger Woods, LeBron James and Serena Williams, but the top three Nascar national series have none. It is a glaring absence in a sport desperate to attract new fans and diversify its audience.
Wallace, 18, who is scheduled to make his debut in the lower-level Nationwide Series on Sunday at Iowa Speedway, just might be the one to finally break through.
“We really feel that Darrell is a guy that has a gift behind the wheel,” said J. D. Gibbs, the president of Joe Gibbs Racing, one of the top teams in Nascar.
Gibbs has been searching for Nascar’s first black star for nearly a decade, beginning with a collaboration with Reggie White before he died in 2004, and signed Wallace in 2009, when he was 15.
“I think it’s a real value to this sport if you can kind of have that piece fit in,” Gibbs said. “Other sports, it kind of happens naturally. This sport’s hard because of the barriers to entry because of the cost standpoint.”
Darrell Wallace Sr., who owns an industrial cleaning business, has spent nearly $1 million to support his son’s racing. Now Gibbs has taken over. The plan is to have Wallace race in four Nationwide events this year, with the possibility of a full schedule in 2013.
Nascar officials will be among those watching closely on Sunday.
“What he potentially could do for the sport, it is an extremely important debut,” said Steve Phelps, Nascar’s senior vice president and chief marketing officer.
Wallace, known to all as Bubba, qualified to start eighth among 43 drivers in the Iowa field on Sunday, one spot better than Nascar’s other much followed diversity driver: Danica Patrick. Even Brian France, chairman and chief executive of Nascar, is watching.
“He’s somebody with the most promising talent who is an African-American come through our diversity program,” France said Saturday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “Look, that’s a breakthrough if it materializes, and if not him, there’ll be somebody who’s going to walk in the door and be a star and it’s going to be good for us.”
Indeed, Nascar needs that breakthrough.
According to Nielsen research, the median age of Nascar fans is 51.6, older than fans of every other major sport in the United States. So Nascar has created an “industry action plan” to attract a multicultural audience, youths under 18 and the 18-to-34 demographic.
“Darrell can help us with all three,” Phelps said.
A few years ago, Marc Davis was the great black hope. He won in the lower levels of the sport and was signed by Gibbs. But Davis raced in only 10 Nationwide Series events from 2008 to ‘11. The opportunities were few and the results less than needed to prove himself.
Wallace says he knows Davis and makes no assumptions
Heres some

• Banned
Driver’s Seat Elusive for Black Racers

dog-nascar-1-articleLarge.jpg
Kristian Dowling/BET Networks, via PR Newswire
Darrell Wallace Jr., 18, is scheduled to make his Nascar debut Sunday in a Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway.

By VIV BERNSTEIN

Published: May 19, 2012

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Print
  • Reprints

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — Darrell Wallace Jr. was playing Amateur Athletic Union basketball at 8 and perhaps on a path to college ball when his father bought him a go-kart after a trip to a local track.

Enlarge This Image

Associated Press

Wendell Scott was the only black driver to win a Nascar race, in 1964.

Enlarge This Image

Darryl Graham/Associated Press

Marc Davis raced in the Nationwide Series after being signed by Joe Gibbs Racing.

Enlarge This Image

Paul Sancya/Associated Press

Bill Lester is the only black driver to start a Sprint Cup race since 1986.

“He was good right off the bat,” Darrell Wallace Sr. said. “But at 8 years old, do you think your son’s going to be the next Dale Earnhardt, or the next Joe Montana or Brett Favre?”
How about the next Wendell Scott?
Scott competed in 495 races in Nascar’s premier series — now Sprint Cup — in the 1960s and ‘70s and was the only black driver to win a race. Only five other blacks have started a handful of races in the 64-year history of Nascar and only one did so since 1986 — Bill Lester, who entered two Cup events in 2006.
Nearly every major American sport has black stars, including Tiger Woods, LeBron James and Serena Williams, but the top three Nascar national series have none. It is a glaring absence in a sport desperate to attract new fans and diversify its audience.
Wallace, 18, who is scheduled to make his debut in the lower-level Nationwide Series on Sunday at Iowa Speedway, just might be the one to finally break through.
“We really feel that Darrell is a guy that has a gift behind the wheel,” said J. D. Gibbs, the president of Joe Gibbs Racing, one of the top teams in Nascar.
Gibbs has been searching for Nascar’s first black star for nearly a decade, beginning with a collaboration with Reggie White before he died in 2004, and signed Wallace in 2009, when he was 15.
“I think it’s a real value to this sport if you can kind of have that piece fit in,” Gibbs said. “Other sports, it kind of happens naturally. This sport’s hard because of the barriers to entry because of the cost standpoint.”
Darrell Wallace Sr., who owns an industrial cleaning business, has spent nearly $1 million to support his son’s racing. Now Gibbs has taken over. The plan is to have Wallace race in four Nationwide events this year, with the possibility of a full schedule in 2013.
Nascar officials will be among those watching closely on Sunday.
“What he potentially could do for the sport, it is an extremely important debut,” said Steve Phelps, Nascar’s senior vice president and chief marketing officer.
Wallace, known to all as Bubba, qualified to start eighth among 43 drivers in the Iowa field on Sunday, one spot better than Nascar’s other much followed diversity driver: Danica Patrick. Even Brian France, chairman and chief executive of Nascar, is watching.
“He’s somebody with the most promising talent who is an African-American come through our diversity program,” France said Saturday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “Look, that’s a breakthrough if it materializes, and if not him, there’ll be somebody who’s going to walk in the door and be a star and it’s going to be good for us.”
Indeed, Nascar needs that breakthrough.
According to Nielsen research, the median age of Nascar fans is 51.6, older than fans of every other major sport in the United States. So Nascar has created an “industry action plan” to attract a multicultural audience, youths under 18 and the 18-to-34 demographic.
“Darrell can help us with all three,” Phelps said.
A few years ago, Marc Davis was the great black hope. He won in the lower levels of the sport and was signed by Gibbs. But Davis raced in only 10 Nationwide Series events from 2008 to ‘11. The opportunities were few and the results less than needed to prove himself.
Wallace says he knows Davis and makes no assumptions
Heres some

Wow. Three. Impressive.

Tip like everybody else does at restaurants.

They are notoriously really bad tippers.

The wait staff run the other way when a large group comes in.
10 people for dinner with over $100.00 bill they leave like $1.00 maybe $2.00
I never understood that...
Getting back at whitey maybe?

Last edited:
Tip like everybody else does at restaurants.

They are notoriously really bad tippers.

The wait staff run the other way when a large group comes in.
10 people for dinner with over $100.00 bill they leave like $1.00 maybe $2.00
I never understood that...
Getting back at whitey maybe?

It's true. I remember the bartenders at my club fighting over who had to work on our hip hop nights. They knew they wouldn't make shit for tips, so there was always a fight over who got to work the "white nights". By the way, gay people are the best tippers, you just have to deal with a lot of aggressive flirtation to get those tips. :lol:

This is a question that keeps me up at night pondering the whys of the universe. Consider too there are no dirt roads in the inner city, why? My southern friends would be lost there. When I was in Alaska I didn't see a single Eskimo who raced at NASCAR? This is all very perplexing needless to say. So then on a visit to Hawaii I noticed no NASCAR drivers there either? Perplexing thing was neither Eskimos or natives of the Pacific played basketball either? I got to thinking maybe they don't know how to travel at 200 MPH in circles? Could that be it. You know the joke about why the right wingnut could not be an elevator operator? He couldn't learn the route. Sorry, I just added that as a bit of humor to distract from the seriousness of the OP question. Why are there no Puerto Rican synchronized swimmers puzzles me too? And then there is soccer......tennis anyone....

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/237456-the-modern-american-olympics.html

Last edited:

Forum List

Back