Why can't Americans have a vacation?

One of the 2 major home improvement chains in the USA gives part time employees only half days of vacation pay. If you take a "days" vacation you lose 4 hours pay. And you are not allowed to rake 2 half days on the same day.
As a result a friend of mine who works there cannot afford to take any vacation at all.
Rather cunning of them don't you think?

Just curious: why do you think that employers aren't willing to create more jobs?

Because they aren't. We've seen countless examples of that.
Jobs keep going overseas.

I suggest you think about it some more. It's not as simple as the "offshoring" meme the left spouts off.

ok.

General Electric.
Bain Capital
Assembly and manufacturing plants

Report: America Lost 2.7 Million Jobs to China in 10 Years - US News and World Report

What does faux news have to say about this?

10 States Losing the Most Jobs to China | Fox Business

Well... shit.

Every country is at a LEGISLATED vacation mandate of ~ 5 weeks per year, +/- 1 or 2, except the USA, where there is no vacation legislation for workers, and the ridiculously low 2 weeks is a "gift". Why are Americans so freakishly different again? And why do Americans love undercutting themselves this much?

why do you fucking communist whine so much? You want us to come cut yer steak for ya and chew it too. pussy?

Government supplied Bass-O-Matics for everyone!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y]Bass-o-matic[/ame]

YES!! We Can!!!

obama-yes-we-can.jpg

We just cashed out a couple of weeks. I went shopping. :D

On a serious note, when my husband was with this one company in Ontario, the head honchos over in Germany were always on vacation. Rog had to contact everyone at their vacation destinies just to keep the Canadian plant going.

It was wild. It was like "does anyone work over there"?

And yet, Germany does almost as good as the USA in every aspect. Shows how meaningles is the American anti-vacation mentality.

Ah no. You are missing my point. I am not anti vacation whatsoever; I was my own employee when I was in the music industry. You have to take time off. You must take time to refresh yourself.

I think it's crucial to the health of any company. Small or large.

But there were certain individuals in this company my husband used to work for who had, albeit fair and square in negotiatians accrued the right to 4 months of vacation per year.

Well that's one third of a fiscal year. I watched this place crumble because they hit excess.

That's all.

Well, I agree, 4 MONTHS are not a balance either. But starting with max. 2 weeks isn't either. The popular employer-rules-all is just as bad as the employee-rules-all, there must be a balance, like a supply-demand balance of vacation days. This is violated now like all other balances. Employers are cornering away more markets, and they are cornering away the vacation days too. Your husband's situation is a far outlier.

This is BS. You may not find the perfect job that offers benefits and vacation, but if you need money to provide for your family somebody is always hiring. I have worked jobs where I was the only non-felon there. If they can get jobs anybody can.

Past tense.

Not present. Most of the unemployed can't even get a bottom of the line job despite desperately trying.

While I usually agree with your posts I have to disagree here. I never claimed they were all good jobs, but people are hiring. Even if you have to flip burgers to support your family that is always an option.

There are people who can't even get those type of jobs.

Because they aren't. We've seen countless examples of that.
Jobs keep going overseas.

I suggest you think about it some more. It's not as simple as the "offshoring" meme the left spouts off.

ok.

General Electric.
Bain Capital
Assembly and manufacturing plants

Report: America Lost 2.7 Million Jobs to China in 10 Years - US News and World Report

What does faux news have to say about this?

10 States Losing the Most Jobs to China | Fox Business

Well... shit.

So you googled some links that reinforced your preconceived opinion. Congrats.

Now try thinking for a change and answer the following questions:

- What happens when the size of government relative to GDP increases by 25% in four years?

- What happens when laws are passed that legislators neither read nor understand, and which are then "interpreted" by unelected regulators who create reams of complicated regulations?

- What happens when tax rates and policies are not fixed and determinable, and businesses cannot do a financial plan due to lack of proper estimates regarding their tax burdens?

- Given that 80-85% of jobs in the U.S. are created by small businesses, what is the impact of an entrepreneur diverting capital to tax and regulatory compliance instead of core products and services?

- Why should investors risk capital when the leader of a country constantly threatens to increase taxes and demands that they pay their "fair share"?

Others don't get the same privileges, and are neglected and exploited. Usually they will be lucky to get barely above minimum wage and a week of vacation. (unpaid)

Get another job.

people aren't hiring

One has to be willing to move. If I was younger I would be smack dab in an oil field in Alberta or in North Dakota.

Thousands of jobs. Fabulous money. I'd be racking up the bucks.

And when I was young, I started my own company. I was at home all day with my babies and hit the bar circuit promoting bands. I made a fortune and retired oh so young. Life is a blast.

There is always a way to make money. Legally. :lol: I should put that in there.

You have to have some balls, take some chances and take the best of what you are and find out how you can make it.

But you have to be willing to bend your own life to make a greater one for yourself.

Isn't the very idea of having to accrue and earn your vacation at work an odd concept?

No

It's called a fringe benefit. It's used as an incentive to keep your employees.

What I find odd is how you can be such a dunce as to not understand this. You must have gone to public school.

No. This comes to work-life balance ... fringe or not, are you saying that high worker turnover is only a minor business inefficiency? Fringe benefits may very well be the key differentiators in making it worthwhile for a qualified worker to talk to your business.

Gosh, you act as if that vouches for the rest of the private workforce.

Turns out conservationism and right winged motives tries to milk it as much as they can in terms of vacation days, jobs, and wages.

Now what?

The same guys who are giving you all of these privileges are tapping the American workforce dry.

Sorry bub, I don't consider the benefits I earn to be "milking as much as I can". They were negotiated as part of my compensation package in a voluntary arrangement.

Others don't get the same privileges, and are neglected and exploited. Usually they will be lucky to get barely above minimum wage and a week of vacation. (unpaid)

So now do you see why people are pushing for regulations? If the private sector refuses to voluntarily do it, then we are going to do something about it.

Absolutely excellent point.

And yet, Germany does almost as good as the USA in every aspect. Shows how meaningles is the American anti-vacation mentality.

Ah no. You are missing my point. I am not anti vacation whatsoever; I was my own employee when I was in the music industry. You have to take time off. You must take time to refresh yourself.

I think it's crucial to the health of any company. Small or large.

But there were certain individuals in this company my husband used to work for who had, albeit fair and square in negotiatians accrued the right to 4 months of vacation per year.

Well that's one third of a fiscal year. I watched this place crumble because they hit excess.

That's all.

Well, I agree, 4 MONTHS are not a balance either. But starting with max. 2 weeks isn't either. The popular employer-rules-all is just as bad as the employee-rules-all, there must be a balance, like a supply-demand balance of vacation days. This is violated now like all other balances. Employers are cornering away more markets, and they are cornering away the vacation days too. Your husband's situation is a far outlier.

On many of your points I agree. I have seen workplace environments swing too far; a pendulum on meth if you will.

For me, having been only a small business owner my relationship with my few employees was very personal. Mental and physical health wasn't a matter of an employee relation program.

My so called employees were also my friends. You have to be primo to be a good employee. And if you are any employer, you have to treat those who work for you as royalty who deserve every accolade for the best works they achieve.

Sadly, many companies aren't that way.

This one of my husbands that I pointed out where the disparity was so overwhelming the company almost went bankrupt.

They gave them too much. I wish we could find a decent answer but government regulations usually fail. Makes matters worse in most situations.

The Cognitive Dissonance of the lefties in this thread is more astounding than usual. They whine that their aren't jobs while advocating for unearned benefits which will cause employers to hire even less people.

Go figure.

why do you fucking communist whine so much? You want us to come cut yer steak for ya and chew it too. pussy?

Government supplied Bass-O-Matics for everyone!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y]Bass-o-matic[/ame]

YES!! We Can!!!

obama-yes-we-can.jpg

What a Goddam Right Wing Rag!!

I was a member of local 9-288 of the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers(OCAW) and worked for Union Carbide 41 years. I watched the union methodically gain both wages and benefits during all that time and when I retired I was getting six weeks of paid vacation each year. I never took but a month because we could opt to sell two weeks back to the company and I never failed to do that.

Beginning when Ronald Reagan fired the PATCO workers in 1981 the union has gone into a downward spiral ever since. The middle class has disappeared and the rich have gotten richer from borrowed money during the same time frame. It ain't rocket science:

mjinequality.jpg
uneven-distribution-of-income-growth.jpg

Chart-Union-Membership1-600x250.png

Uh, you haven't proven that Americans have an anti-vacation mentality, bub.

But every American I had asked says that they don't like vacations because they don't want their employers to incure the extra expense of it. (A self defeating shoot-your-own-foot attitude?)

Every American you have asked? And how many is that?

Here's a wee lesson in GAAP accounting: accrued vacation expenses already "cost the company". The accrual is recognized on the income statement and booked to accrued expenses on the balance sheet. When somebody takes vacation, the cash is the same as what would have been paid for regular salary, but the expense comes out of the accrual. When an employee doesn't take a vacation, it's actually MORE EXPENSIVE for the employer. The employer isn't able to use the accrual to offset expenses.

Very interesting. So, would a European style arrangement be like pre-booking a set 5 weeks of accrual for every year, and then applying everything you said? So the cost of the employee taking January off will be the same as taking December off? And it IS a very good news that taking the vacation is cheaper than not taking it.

Last edited:
But every American I had asked says that they don't like vacations because they don't want their employers to incure the extra expense of it. (A self defeating shoot-your-own-foot attitude?)

Here's a wee lesson in GAAP accounting: accrued vacation expenses already "cost the company". The accrual is recognized on the income statement and booked to accrued expenses on the balance sheet. When somebody takes vacation, the cash is the same as what would have been paid for regular salary, but the expense comes out of the accrual. When an employee doesn't take a vacation, it's actually MORE EXPENSIVE for the employer. The employer isn't able to use the accrual to offset expenses.

Very interesting. So, would a European style arrangement be like pre-booking a set 5 weeks of accrual for every year, and then applying everything you said? So the cost of the employee taking January off will be the same as taking December off? And it IS a very good news that taking the vacation is cheaper than not taking it.

I don't know what you mean by pre-booking in this context. If you mean does it matter when the accrued vacation is used, the answer is no, as long as it is used within the fiscal year.

What does cause problems is the nonsense we see among public union employees who apparently never take one day of vacation over 25 years and then cash out obscene acccruals. In the private sector, the convention is a capped acrrual, and then one stops accruing. This encourages people to take an annual vacation.

Last edited:
The Cognitive Dissonance of the lefties in this thread is more astounding than usual. They whine that their aren't jobs while advocating for unearned benefits which will cause employers to hire even less people.

Go figure.

Truth out.

Now with Obamacare, yikes, I feel so sorry for the small business owner in America. Jobs will be slashed.

This will be a blood fest.

The last company I worked for, by the time I left I was earning 3 weeks vacation and 10 sick days a year. The sick days banked, and I used them to go on maternity leave.

Vacation isn't a gimme in every job, it's part of employee compensation. Some people would rather work a job that pays more upfront, some would rather have the benefits.

I don't know what you mean by pre-booking in this context. If you mean does it matter when the accrued vacation is used, the answer is no, as long as it is used within the fiscal year.

What does cause problems is the nonsense we see among public union employees who apparently never take one day of vacation over a 25 years and then cash out obscene acccruals. In the private sector, the convention is a capped acrrual, and then one stops accruing. This encourages people to take an annual vacation.

Exactly. The cash out at the end of the year. :eusa_angel: It's annual and I split it between furniture and I think I'll roll with another sapphire.

Every year they have to buy you out, so I enjoy this. They can't let my husband go on a huge vacation.

C'est la vie. :D So you make it up in other ways....

Public sectors kill me. I was reading the stats out of Chicago and Buffalo. Breast implants for the teachers union out of Buffalo.

Your tax dollars at work.

Why Americans are afraid to take a vacation | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Americans aren't taking vacations. And, it's not because they can't afford them. Instead, a steady stream of research over the past year revealed that Americans are afraid to take time off from work for fear of appearing less than dedicated to their employer.

Whether it's not using provided vacation time or coming to the office when sick, research over the past year has shown that U.S. employees are afraid to be out of the office.

In a recent survey from workforce consulting firm Right Management, 70 percent of employees said they weren't using all their earned vacation days in 2011. In addition, research from Jet Blue Airways discovered most employees leave an average of 11 vacation days on the table, or 70 percent of their total allotted time off.

Right Management senior vice president Michael Haid said the perceived environment that now prevails at many organizations seems to recognize devotion to the job to the exclusion of nearly everything else.

BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID !

Forum List

Back