Why can't Americans have a vacation?

There are many jobs out there that provide more vacation.
I've had jobs at 2 banks years ago...what sucked was we only had 2 weeks vacation and we had to take the whole 2 weeks at one time, we couldn't split it up!

The job i've now had for 20 yrs i do have 4 weeks vacation now (after 15 yrs). I can take more, but they're unpaid then. There's other companies that give you more time sooner....i guess i could have tried to find one of them. But i don't see what's wrong with "earning" more time off by working hard and just being a good employee. I know people at work that don't work, don't earn shit because they're lazy....they don't deserve time off, they take it at work! :)

Isn't the very idea of having to accrue and earn your vacation at work an odd concept? Other countries incorporate in in the job offer instead of playing this hidden catch-and-lose with it. The accrual/earn concept of vacations seems dishonest from the employer.

We just cashed out a couple of weeks. I went shopping. :D

On a serious note, when my husband was with this one company in Ontario, the head honchos over in Germany were always on vacation. Rog had to contact everyone at their vacation destinies just to keep the Canadian plant going.

It was wild. It was like "does anyone work over there"?

And yet, Germany does almost as good as the USA in every aspect. Shows how meaningles is the American anti-vacation mentality.

Uh, you haven't proven that Americans have an anti-vacation mentality, bub.

Some places provide vacations and benefits and others don't. People can quit or keep working the same crappy job all their lives. One of the good things still left about America is we have that choice. :)

I've had jobs at 2 banks years ago...what sucked was we only had 2 weeks vacation and we had to take the whole 2 weeks at one time, we couldn't split it up!

The job i've now had for 20 yrs i do have 4 weeks vacation now (after 15 yrs). I can take more, but they're unpaid then. There's other companies that give you more time sooner....i guess i could have tried to find one of them. But i don't see what's wrong with "earning" more time off by working hard and just being a good employee. I know people at work that don't work, don't earn shit because they're lazy....they don't deserve time off, they take it at work! :)

Isn't the very idea of having to accrue and earn your vacation at work an odd concept? Other countries incorporate in in the job offer instead of playing this hidden catch-and-lose with it. The accrual/earn concept of vacations seems dishonest from the employer.

It's only dishonest if one doesn't believe that one should earn one's income.

You belong to the infamous C O W S donchyahon?

I had five weeks vacation at my last job.

That, and a pension, stock options, and 401K matching.

But then again, it was a British company.

Indeed. British! Not American.

We need foreign companies to buy up all US companies and condition them the provide their home vacation policies in the US.

I had so much at my last job, I literally couldn't use it all. When I left, I cashed out like 2 months.

On a serious note, when my husband was with this one company in Ontario, the head honchos over in Germany were always on vacation. Rog had to contact everyone at their vacation destinies just to keep the Canadian plant going.

And yet, Germany does almost as good as the USA in every aspect. Shows how meaningles is the American anti-vacation mentality.

Ah no. You are missing my point. I am not anti vacation whatsoever; I was my own employee when I was in the music industry. You have to take time off. You must take time to refresh yourself.

I think it's crucial to the health of any company. Small or large.

But there were certain individuals in this company my husband used to work for who had, albeit fair and square in negotiatians accrued the right to 4 months of vacation per year.

Well that's one third of a fiscal year. I watched this place crumble because they hit excess.

That's all.

Funny, my private sector employer provides 4 weeks of vacation per year, plus 12 holidays - all without the government mandating it.

Gosh, you act as if that vouches for the rest of the private workforce.

Turns out conservationism and right winged motives tries to milk it as much as they can in terms of vacation days, jobs, and wages.

Now what?

The same guys who are giving you all of these privileges are tapping the American workforce dry.

Funny, my private sector employer provides 4 weeks of vacation per year, plus 12 holidays - all without the government mandating it.

Turns out conservationism and right winged motives tries to milk it as much as they can in terms of vacation days, jobs, and wages.

Now what?

The same guys who are giving you all of these privileges are tapping the American workforce dry.

Sorry bub, I don't consider the benefits I earn to be "milking as much as I can". They were negotiated as part of my compensation package in a voluntary arrangement.

Every country is at a LEGISLATED vacation mandate of ~ 5 weeks per year, +/- 1 or 2, except the USA, where there is no vacation legislation for workers, and the ridiculously low 2 weeks is a "gift". Why are Americans so freakishly different again? And why do Americans love undercutting themselves this much?

why do you fucking communist whine so much? You want us to come cut yer steak for ya and chew it too. pussy?

Too bad for you, slavery ran down 100 years ago. But even with that, housing and clothing your slaves was more expensive than giving them a decent time off. Loser.

I have four weeks of vacation and 11 holidays off a year, plus six sick days if I need them.

Try taking some responsibility for yourself.

Do you work in the US?

duh-duh.jpg

But every American I had asked says that they don't like vacations because they don't want their employers to incure the extra expense of it. (A self defeating shoot-your-own-foot attitude?)

Isn't the very idea of having to accrue and earn your vacation at work an odd concept?

No

It's called a fringe benefit. It's used as an incentive to keep your employees.

What I find odd is how you can be such a dunce as to not understand this. You must have gone to public school.

Now what?

Sorry bub, I don't consider the benefits I earn to be "milking as much as I can". They were negotiated as part of my compensation package in a voluntary arrangement.

Others don't get the same privileges, and are neglected and exploited. Usually they will be lucky to get barely above minimum wage and a week of vacation. (unpaid)

So now do you see why people are pushing for regulations? If the private sector refuses to voluntarily do it, then we are going to do something about it.

But every American I had asked says that they don't like vacations because they don't want their employers to incure the extra expense of it. (A self defeating shoot-your-own-foot attitude?)

Every American you have asked? And how many is that?

Here's a wee lesson in GAAP accounting: accrued vacation expenses already "cost the company". The accrual is recognized on the income statement and booked to accrued expenses on the balance sheet. When somebody takes vacation, the cash is the same as what would have been paid for regular salary, but the expense comes out of the accrual. When an employee doesn't take a vacation, it's actually MORE EXPENSIVE for the employer. The employer isn't able to use the accrual to offset expenses.

Spin the globe, pick a country you like better than America. No one forces you to spend your "vacationless" life here. Do you live in a basement somewhere?

You are factually wrong. For example, just check the US international tax laws how unfairly they double-tax every American who even thinks of working abroad, in better working conditions, as least vacation-wise.

Isn't the very idea of having to accrue and earn your vacation at work an odd concept?

No

It's called a fringe benefit. It's used as an incentive to keep your employees.

What I find odd is how you can be such a dunce as to not understand this. You must have gone to public school.

Shall we dare ask how long his bus was? :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back