Why buying health care across state lines is a terrible, terrible idea.

Why should people not be able to make rules governing behavior? That's the entire basis of civilization. Your proposal would result in no requirements whatsoever. Why should the narrow interest of de facto slave state dictate policy to 300 million plus Americans?

That's exactly what the obama healthcare "plan" does. It represents a very narrow interest that wants to go way beyond just dictating policy. It seeks to control every aspect of healthcare in this country. So, why should your narrow interest trump someone else's?

A bill that passed by the majority of the people's elected representatives in one chamber, a super-majority of them in another, and signed by a president who was elected in a landslide is a "very narrow interest"? Would it have needed 100% of the vote for you to consider it legitimate?

It would need at least a majority of the actual people to support it, not just the ones that are representing them. Unless, that is, you think SCOTUS was wrong when it struck down Bush era law that actually had bipartisan support in Congress.

Or is that just different, somehow?

That's not the problem with selling across state lines. The problem with selling across state lines is that without federal coverage standards, the result is that every insurance company will move to the state with the most lax requirements. Even realize that most credit card offers come from South Dakota? Same principle. Even better for the Republican proposal, they want to define territories as states for purchase of health insurance purposes. Hope you enjoy the consumer protections of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Of course that will happen, because no one in this country actually wants a policy that covers all the bells and whistles you are demanding.

Either that, or you are a fool.

It doesn't matter what people want. What matters is what is more profitable for health insurers. Do you think people really want all the shit in their credit card agreements?

Tell me something then, genius, how did employers and unions get all those perks in health insurance?

If people don't read there credit card agreements can you explain why I should care? I actually read them, and ask questions. Does that make me dumber than the ones that don't, or smarter?

Last edited:
I'm really glad you guys have magical boxes to see in to the future and know which illnesses you're going to contract. Sadly, most people don't have the clairvoyance you all seem to manifest.

I am really sad, but not surprised, you think insurance is supposed to prevent illness.

I never said that, but I'm not at all shocked that you'd lie.

I did not say you said that, I said you think that.

Learn to read.

Of course, NEVER give ANYONE the FREEDOM to buy WHAT they want, WHEN they want.... or *WHERE* they want... we just CAN'T HAVE THAT.

If you've identified a state other than your own whose insurance regulations you prefer to those of your own state and with lower-cost provider markets than your local markets, is someone stopping you from moving to that area?

The problem with selling across state lines is that without federal coverage standards, the result is that every insurance company will move to the state with the most lax requirements.

again, liberal and too stupid for words. If one company has lax standards they will encourage competition from companies with higher standards. We buy Japanese cars because they have higher standards for reliability regardless of what state or federal standards are.

A liberal is someone who simply lacks the IQ to understand capitalism. Sorry

Back in the real world, companies aren't out to make you happy. They do what is most profitable.

too stupid but perfectly 100% liberal!!! Who makes more profit, a guy with a good product or a guy with a bad product to sell. The beauty of capitalism is that it makes you a slave to your customers best interests. Still over your liberal head?

I'm watching Morning Joe and their guest was going on about how being able to purchase health care across state lines is the "answer" to America's health care problems. And Meeka, bless her little dark roots, was cheering him on with "I don't know why that isn't an option". A normal response from her until things are explained and sometimes even after.

Republicans and HC Companies would LOVE being able to sell across state lines.

Imagine, you live in California, but you buy your health care in New York. You need an operation so they cut your policy. Who do you go to for help? It's not likely that you would hire a lawyer, after all, you went to New York to save money. You would have to find a lawyer in New York. See?

Imagine you were one of a thousand people in California living next to a company and all of you got sick from some kind of contamination. Your HC company in New York told the state of California, "You let them get sick, you take care of them". Once again, you would end up with no health care.

Look at what HC companies do now and it's not even across state lines. Until Obama, they could drop you for having a mammogram. Or use an allergy as a "pre existing condition" to cut off your policy if you got sick. Or cut off your entire family if your son had an appendectomy.

If you are going to start selling health care across state lines, you might as well just get rid of ALL laws and make this a country of "every man for himself". No speed laws. No regulations for food or car safety. Just give everyone a gun. That'll fix things. Republicans say that's what they want. But when faced with reality, they usually start crying a different tune.

Wow this whole post is absurd. First republicans want limited government, not no government, we're not anarchists. Learn that first. Democrats want to childproof not to save lives but to gain power. Funny how democrats talk about removing lead to save lives, then let child predators out on parole or for good behavior and then a child gets killed, I think lead poising is a better outcome then getting raped and strangled.

Second on to heathcare. I think healthcare should be like auto insurance, companies compete on the open market and while you have national companies, you do have different regulations in states. So you might have Cigna, BlueCross/BlueShield and others working on that. Then you job can help pay a certain percentage, then people can see how much this stuff costs and at the same time costs will go down because they are directly competing with each other.

I think healthcare should be like auto insurance, companies compete on the open market and while you have national companies, you do have different regulations in states.

The difference is that, under what you're describing, you and the companies selling to you are subject to the laws of your state, not the laws of any state of the company's choosing. Yet the latter is exactly what the Republican party has proposed time and time again for health insurance.

Last edited:
I think healthcare should be like auto insurance, companies compete on the open market and while you have national companies, you do have different regulations in states.

The difference is that, under what you're describing, you and the companies selling to you are subject to the laws of your state, not the laws of any state of the company's choosing. Yet the latter is exactly what the Republican party has proposed time and time again for health insurance.

Not true, as usual. The only requirement for auto insurance is that it meets minimum damage coverage. In some states you can actually get by without actually buying insurance, California is one of them.

Of course, NEVER give ANYONE the FREEDOM to buy WHAT they want, WHEN they want.... or *WHERE* they want... we just CAN'T HAVE THAT.

If you've identified a state other than your own whose insurance regulations you prefer to those of your own state and with lower-cost provider markets than your local markets, is someone stopping you from moving to that area?

yea, a job...:lol:

so hows that knee?

don't you have some envelopes to stuff?

yea, a job...:lol:

Might I suggest you look for one in a state you like?

So?

So, as the GOP often does, they took an idea that might've been something nice and contorted it into something unworkable and ridiculous.

So, as the GOP often does, they took an idea that might've been something nice and contorted it into something unworkable and ridiculous.

the GOP idea is capitalism just like we have with toothpaste. We have crushing state regulation in health insurance because Democrats are one part corrupt and one part stupid.

again, liberal and too stupid for words. If one company has lax standards they will encourage competition from companies with higher standards. We buy Japanese cars because they have higher standards for reliability regardless of what state or federal standards are.

A liberal is someone who simply lacks the IQ to understand capitalism. Sorry

Back in the real world, companies aren't out to make you happy. They do what is most profitable.

too stupid but perfectly 100% liberal!!! Who makes more profit, a guy with a good product or a guy with a bad product to sell. The beauty of capitalism is that it makes you a slave to your customers best interests. Still over your liberal head?

How about the guy with the best ad campaign?

New Topics

Forum List

Back