Why "Buy American"?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by tigerbob, Feb 11, 2009.

1. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Someone keyed my wife's car a few weeks back.

Presumably it's because she drives a Toyota in Big 3 country. Maybe the shithead with the key didn't know that she'd been to pretty much every domestic and taken test drives without finding anything she liked (poor visibility, too big, poor quality, etc) before she went anywhere near an import. Maybe the shithead with the key wouldn't have cared if he had known.

"Lost your job yet? Keep buying foreign!" is a popular bumper sticker these days. IMO, anyone who puts one on their car or truck is just as big a fuckwit as the guy with the key, unless of course it's right next to one that says "Bought a shit car? Makes you proud don't it?".

We can bleat and moan about restrictive import laws in other countries but it's up to politicians to fix trade agreements, not consumers. Consumers vote with their wallets, and nobody should expect consumers to prop up ailing and outdated business models out of a misguided sense of patriotism.

Of course, that's just my view as it relates to the auto industry. The following had some interesting opinions as well...

Do you have a view, or are you a sheep?

2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    probably more american parts in your toyota.....

me i drive a porsche.....

3. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Are you in your early 50s?

4. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    A couple things come to mind.
    I don't know why unions are so pro-obama when he is so free-trade.
    If GM wants us to buy their cars, they should start making better quality. I want to buy American but at 20k, it needs to last a long time and the big 3 just don't match up well with Honda and Toyota.

I have a pontiac vibe, so that's kind of the best of both worlds.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    nope.....

6. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,029
    The cutest car I ever had was a sky blue Toyota Celica.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I would have liked to buy an American car. I've always loved the way the Mustang looks. The new Camaro is hot looking, too. Unfortunately, they rattle when you drive them and are made like...

well, like American cars.

I love my BMW. It rides like a dream. The steering and suspension are tight. When I need service, they bring the loaner car to whereever I am (including once to a diner where I was eating breakfast with my son) and then bring the car back to me when it's done.

When American cars ride like my Beemer and hold up like my Beemer, I'll get an American car.

8. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,138
    I just don't get this bashing of America made cars and trucks. I think you people have alternative motives.

I've owned seven Chevy trucks and currently own a GMC. Two of the last trucks I owned were a '75 Chevy Blazer, and a '80, 3/4 ton, 4X4 Chevy with 4.56:1 gears and TH400 rock crusher trans. I BEAT THE LIVING DOG SHIT out of BOTH of those trucks, and NOT ONCE did they ever let me down. My sister has owned Toyota's for years. First she leased them but then decided she'd be better off to own, but not one of those Toyota's would hold a stick to my Chevy's. I've owned a Ford Taurus, a Pontiac Grand Am, Several Cadillacs, a '67 Chevelle Malibu SS, an AMC AMX, a couple Camaros, a Corvette and many other American made cars and trucks, and I can honestly say that the only lemon out of ALL of them was a '68 Ford, Thunderbird that the lower control arm buckled on it. So out of owning and driving American made cars and trucks for almost 40 years, I really don't get why you people have to bash American vehicles and sing the praises of the foreign shit. I call BULL SHIT on it as a matter of fact. America makes a damn good car AND a damn good truck. Maybe you don't know that because YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT ONE.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    I wouldn't buy one... I've test driven them. Trucks are different. We're talking about cars... and American cars don't hold up on NYC roads.

And perhaps if you actually owned a foreign car (and I don't mean the little japanese ones, cause i wouldn't get one of those either), you'd see the difference.

10. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Toyota and Honda continue to have higher customer satisfaction ratings. My cousin's saturn needed a new transmission at 35k miles. my grandmother's Cutlass needed a valve job at 40k. The tolerances are much tighter at Honda than at GM. I know because our company supplied both companies.