why believers in the one and only God, should not neglect serving the poor

Who exactly advocates neglecting to serve the poor other than those who want someone else to do it for them or in their name?

The Lord asks us, as individuals, to serve our fellow man. He does not tell us to outsource our duties to our government and provide from the poor by taking someone elses time and money.

In fact, God gave specific commandments otherwise: Thou shalt not steal & Thou shalt not covet.

Who exactly advocates neglecting to serve the poor other than those who want someone else to do it for them or in their name?

The Lord asks us, as individuals, to serve our fellow man. He does not tell us to outsource our duties to our government and provide from the poor by taking someone elses time and money.

In fact, God gave specific commandments otherwise: Thou shalt not steal & Thou shalt not covet.

WOW! Touchy touchy touchy..... Did I mention government....?

Get out of your partisan mode!!!!

Nothing partisan about it.

Nothing partisan about it.

so, if it's not partisan, then what was your government comment about Avatar?

Did you even read the passages above or go in to the link with many other passages on the poor? They all do not even involve money....some are on Justice, righteousness, fairness, and belittling others....etc.

do you leave your Christianity at the door when it involves our gvt?

Why One Should Not Neglect Serving the Poor

Exodus 22:21-27 “Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens in Egypt. Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will be aroused, and I will kill you with the sword; your wives will become widows and your children fatherless. If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest. If you take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge, return it to him by sunset, because his cloak is the only covering he has for his body. What else will he sleep in? When he cries out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate.”

Proverbs 14:31 “He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”

Isaiah 10:1-3 " Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice
from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches?”

Jeremiah 5:28 “‘Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not plead the case of the fatherless to win it, they do not defend the rights of the poor. ‘Should I not punish them for this?’ declares the LORD. ‘Should I not avenge myself on such a nation as this?’”

Ezekiel 16:49 "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.”

Ezekiel 22:29, 31 "The people of the land practice extortion and commit robbery; they oppress the poor and needy and mistreat the alien, denying them justice.
So I will pour out my wrath on them and consume them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign LORD."

Amos 5:12 “For I know how many are your offenses and how great your sins. You oppress the righteous and take bribes and you deprive the poor of justice in the courts.”

Luke 6:24 " But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort."

Luke 16:19-25 "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.' But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.'"

1 John 3:17 “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him

James 5:1-6 “Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.”

World Vision - What Does the Bible Say About the Poor?

How do you serve the poor?

if you read what was printed and also go in to the link provided, MUCH is said on HOW to SERVE the poor.

and what is the POOR in this day and age is debatable i suppose....?

No. I asked, "How do you personally serve the poor?"

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's.

Matthew 22:21

Considering this quotation by Jesus was specifically in regards to Jews paying taxes, it shows that, yes, the Bible does advocate taxation and, as in this country, using the money gathered to help the poor. Nowhere does it say that a system of taxes is wrong.

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's.

Matthew 22:21

Considering this quotation by Jesus was specifically in regards to Jews paying taxes, it shows that, yes, the Bible does advocate taxation and, as in this country, using the money gathered to help the poor. Nowhere does it say that a system of taxes is wrong.

Romans did not use taxes for social services. In fact, the Romans did not even use taxes for public works. None of the tax money collected by Rome was designated for use in Israel, though Herod was welcome to collect taxes over and above those demanded by Rome to spend on himself.

Roman taxes were more of a tribute than a tax, and Jesus saying render unto Caesar was not an endorsement of taxes. In fact, the question was not even about the taxes, it was asked as an opportunity to catch Jesus in either committing an act of rebellion against the Roman Empire or going against Scripture.

I don't really need other people to explain my responsibility towards my fellow man. I'm a conservative. I believe in charity.

because only conservatives believe in charity, hon?

Up until very recently, I would have said 'no, absolutely not', but the more I see liberals trying to force responsibility for everyone onto me, the more I think that liberals have no concept of 'charity'.

if you read what was printed and also go in to the link provided, MUCH is said on HOW to SERVE the poor.

and what is the POOR in this day and age is debatable i suppose....?

in this day and age, I am ''the poor'', and i serve myself quite well...:D

Lol utterly incredible.

"Everyone else is responsible for helping the poor, but not me."

Cancel your internet and sell your computer, there's hungry ppl around the world who could use those hundreds of dollars to feed their families for months.

in this day and age, I am ''the poor'', and i serve myself quite well...:D

Lol utterly incredible.

"Everyone else is responsible for helping the poor, but not me."

Cancel your internet and sell your computer, there's hungry ppl around the world who could use those hundreds of dollars to feed their families for months.

no dear.....I just was not going to give the TROLL joreba any fodder....have another cup of coffee or pay more attention to posters, and you could catch on..... ;)

the passages above are not dealing solely with money guys and gals....

it's how you think....

Do you think your riches came from yourself or do you think you've been blessed by God?

Do you fight for the poor? Do you stick up for them? Do you want them to have justice or can you care less? Do you think they should be treated differently or the same as the rich man when it comes to the court system?

Do you HOLD THEM DOWN....oppress them? Or are you kind to the needy?

Are you arrogant? Overfed? unconcerned with the needy? As the people of SODOM were before they were annihilated?

Are you the 'greedy' that the Bible speaks of in the Last Days?

this goes much deeper than donating money for charity, this comes from the heart and mind.....

Where does your heart and mind on the topic stand? do you even care or have concerns for them?

it's how you think....

Do you think your riches came from yourself or do you think you've been blessed by God?

Do you fight for the poor? Do you stick up for them? Do you want them to have justice or can you care less? Do you think they should be treated differently or the same as the rich man when it comes to the court system?

Are you arrogant? Overfed? unconcerned with the needy? As the people of SODOM were before they were annihilated?

this goes much deeper than donating money for charity, this comes from the heart and mind.....

Where does your heart and mind on the topic stand? do you even care or have concerns for them?

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve with these questions. Am I supposed to list the work I do with those less fortunate so other people can say 'good for you'? Is it not sufficient to say I do what I can to help people who need help? Am I supposed to recognize that I should pay more to the government so that they can 'help' people that they decide need help? (Because, to me, that breeds an entitlement mentality, and no matter how much I give to the government, they will want more).

I have no problem with my life. I do what the Bible expects of me, what my parents expect of me.... and what I expect of myself.

Am I supposed to feel guilty about something? If so, just say it.

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. It is well documented the work that people of faith do for others.
I'm more curious as to what makes on think that a Government that can do little if anything right is the answer to societal ills?

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. It is well documented the work that people of faith do for others.
I'm more curious as to what makes on think that a Government that can do little if anything right is the answer to societal ills?

We can always do more

it's how you think....

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve with these questions. Am I supposed to list the work I do with those less fortunate so other people can say 'good for you'? Is it not sufficient to say I do what I can to help people who need help? Am I supposed to recognize that I should pay more to the government so that they can 'help' people that they decide need help? (Because, to me, that breeds an entitlement mentality, and no matter how much I give to the government, they will want more).

I have no problem with my life. I do what the Bible expects of me, what my parents expect of me.... and what I expect of myself.

Am I supposed to feel guilty about something? If so, just say it.

No, you're not suppose to list what you do....only you can know what is in your heart mind.....I am not here to judge on what you give or don't give and I don't believe the Bible passages above is rating people on that either....it's what you may be thinking, what's in your heart and soul that God is asking one to reflect on.

Only you can know this....along with God....these passages go deeper than a Pastry dish.....imho. and this could just be to me....but I found myself questioning some of my own inner thoughts, inner feelings on the topic....Like, did I really give credit to God for my own blessings or did I think I earned them all by my lonesome.....and I think I have thought that I, on my own, did all that i did, for me.....and these passages above, have humbled me....moreso than I would have thought....

Care

Forum List

Back