Why Barry Goldwater Couldn't Support Obama

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
From Barry, Jr.

The Goldwater name carries with it the standard of modern conservatism and has shaped the Republican Party for decades, waving proudly and with the dedication my father brought to everything in his life. However, that standard recently has been hijacked and used without any grounding in reality.

Being Barry Goldwater's son and living in Arizona, one would assume that I would be voting for our state's senator, John McCain. Well, I am. The decision truly is a no-brainer.

In a previous article, my niece CC implied that the Goldwater family would support Obama. I don't resent my niece's beliefs, she is after all entitled to the freedom of choice we all enjoy as Americans -- however, I do resent what she has done. When she speaks, she should speak for herself and not imply that she is a representative or spokesperson for the Goldwater name. When I speak, I represent my own thinking and never imply I speak for anyone else.

Before one can even attempt to speak for the reputation and beliefs of the Goldwater family, it might be helpful to re-read the Conscience of a Conservative that Barry Goldwater, Sr. wrote and be reminded of the principles of what it means to be a Goldwater conservative. My niece owes the family that at least if she thinks her public endorsement is so important.

Barry M. Goldwater, Jr.: Why Barry Goldwater Couldn't Support Obama

Best quote from the piece:
Endorsing one of the most liberal Senators in Congress is certainly not the way to help fix any problem she sees; instead it is a betrayal of everything my father advocated government should be. My father would never endorse a candidate or a party that wanted to grow government, raise taxes or in any way step on our freedoms.

This one is good too though:
Together the Goldwaters, including CC, should work together to redefine the Republican Party and make it the model Barry Goldwater Sr. stood for.

Last edited:
After reading some more on him it looks like he was at least somewhat reasonable on some issues, but his foreign policy stuff was just nuts. We'd all be dead by now.

whew, I thought I was seeing things when the niece came out in support of Obama....it knew Barry couldn't have agreed with that, especially since he endorsed Ron Paul.

The trickle of rightwingers leaving the McSinking Ship is growing into a veritable flood.:eusa_pray:

That has not happened in any other election.

The way they run their campaign, I would almost think they want to lose or are really stupid.:badgrin:

And the American people could never support him.

He would get even less votes today than the few he got when he ran.

Barry was pure lunatic.

No, not a PURE lunatic.

He was a lunatic as it pertained to foreign policy though... on that you and I can quite agree.

But then, too, so was JFK, yes?

No, not a PURE lunatic.

He was a lunatic as it pertained to foreign policy though... on that you and I can quite agree.

But then, too, so was JFK, yes?

Goldwater's economics were fairly lunatic as well .. although I agree, he was a bit perplexing on other issues.

Most people don't know he was an advocate for civil rights .. although his vote against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was confusing.

JFK was never as much as many people believe and some of his foreign policy thoughts were downright scary. It wa his brother Bobby who was the real heroic figure .. and he dragged John kicking and screaming to the civil rights issue.

Yep, you and I agree.

Forum List

Back