Why Aren’t You Speaking English?

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Philobeado, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Philobeado

Philobeado Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Wish I'd been there......

During committee testimony this week in Austin, a Texas senator interrupted a Spanish speaker and telling him he should "be speaking in English" during a committee hearing.

Antolin Aguirre of the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition was testifying against Senate Bill 9 that would help crack down on illegal immigrants in Texas. Aguirre spoke through an interpreter even though he had been in the U.S. since 1988.

Two minutes into Antolin Aguirre’s testimony, Sen. Chris Harris, a Republican from Arlington, interrupted asking Aguirre’s interrupter, "Did I understand him correctly that he has been here since 1988?" Harris asked. "Why aren’t you speaking in English the

Read more: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?” | Houston News - KTRH NewsRadio 740 Houston News, Weather, Traffic

2. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    GREAT. 23 Years in this country and still not capable of speaking English sufficiently to do it in front of a group of people. That Senator should get a pat on the back and a raise.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    If he spent that 23 years living amongst the Hispanic community he will not have to learn English.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    when willl you people realise that speaking more than one language is easy for the brain and in fact has been proven to make your brain more functional.

There are cold hard studies that prove this.

By insisting for some dumb racists reason that Americans speak only one language you insist Americans hold their brain back.

Many in The rest of the world speaks more than one launguage

5. Philobeado

Philobeado Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    You people?????

6. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Thats the thing, the guy needed an interpreter after being here since 1988, he only Speaks 1 language.

7. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    23 years in the USA and he does not speak english well enough to make his point??? I would say he is dumb, dumb, dumb and was not able to learn it!!!! Besides, most of the senators and reps seem to speak SPANISH! What does that tell you?

8. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,293
    I think America should be bilingual. Latinos should learn English and English speaking people should learn Spanish. Communication is the first step to understanding and the lack of understanding is at the root of most of our problems in the world.

9. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    He was speaking an American language. What was that senator's problem? If you've got a lot of constiuents that speak the language, shouldn't the representitives be able to speak it too? Sounds like that Sen. needs to be run out of office, if he has that little respect for those he represents. He works for us, not the other way around, after all.

10. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Which is why I have little to no respect for people of his ilk.

My great-grandparents learned English BEFORE they came to the United States from Germany in 1910. They came here to become AMERICANS, not German-Americans, not Germans living in America; AMERICANS. So far as I'm concerned anyone immigrating to this country should have 12 months to learn passable English. If you can't, won't, or don't do it.... SHIP THEIR ASSES BACK WHEREVER THEY CAME FROM!!!!

This is not an issue of what one CAN do, it's an issue of what one SHOULD do. The great-grandparents I mentioned above.... When they came here, he spoke 7 languages and she spoke 5. You know how many they spoke publicly after arriving here.... ONE. They also refused to teach a single word of the 8 languages other than English they combined to speak to any one of their children. THAT is the mentality we need to promote in this country.

Why the hell would I ever speak Spanish? What would be the usefullness for me to learn Spanish? I would love to know how that would improve my life, except to possibly give me early warning that I'm about to be mugged or ripped off in a store.