CDZ Why aren't women gymnasts competing against the men?

They could compete in a couple, if they wanted to trade muscle and single minded dedication for looks. Women could match speed and stamina in the short events. Few want to, which is why there is a shortage of them in 'the best' times.

Wow, you really covered all the bases: Condescension, political correctness and, remarkably, admission that not all women want "equality" with men...

Women might be able to compete in track events, but probably not win much. I used to be a better than average tennis player, but I doubt I could beat that black gal who now leads the pack, can't remember her name at the moment, Zena or something?. Most women don't want to get as muscle bound as she is, though, and admit to that, which is why they don't compete in the sports where they could compete if they wanted to. But most need to stay separate, and schools and universities should finance women's athletics a better as well; many of us have daughters as well as sons. My mother loved playing basketball, skeet shooting, and calf roping, my daughter still plays tennis, golf, skeet shooting, and barrel racing, and they cost as much for women as they do for men.
Well sure, I am good golfer but those little Korean women on the LPGA tour would beat the crap out of me. The comparison is at the highest levels of competition where women cannot beat men. Title 9 is a bit of a different subject but I agree there needs to be an avenue for girls to pursue their athletic dreams.

Women might be able to compete in track events, but probably not win much. I used to be a better than average tennis player, but I doubt I could beat that black gal who now leads the pack, can't remember her name at the moment, Zena or something?. Most women don't want to get as muscle bound as she is, though, and admit to that, which is why they don't compete in the sports where they could compete if they wanted to. But most need to stay separate, and schools and universities should finance women's athletics a better as well; many of us have daughters as well as sons. My mother loved playing basketball, skeet shooting, and calf roping, my daughter still plays tennis, golf, skeet shooting, and barrel racing, and they cost as much for women as they do for men.
Well sure, I am good golfer but those little Korean women on the LPGA tour would beat the crap out of me. The comparison is at the highest levels of competition where women cannot beat men. Title 9 is a bit of a different subject but I agree there needs to be an avenue for girls to pursue their athletic dreams.

I agree, just making the point that 'the highest levels' is a very narrow category, and there is a wide range below that. I said they should have separate programs earlier, just pointing out they could compete at some of the lower levels if some so chose to. Most don't want to build themselves up like Serena Williams, being the main reason. Some of the smaller school districts might want the flexibility in some events.

women are better at gymnastics so where are all the gals feeling manish?

I'm far from an expert on this, but men and women gymnasts compete in different events from each other. Not sure it's accurate to say that women are "better" than men.

Mens gymnastic tend to emphasise upper body strength.

True, and men become too big to fling their bodies around the way women gymnasts - who tend to be very small even by female standards - do very quickly in life.

Forum List

Back