Why aren't liberals protesting the NFL?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Currently, the Minnesota Vikings are trying to force the people of the city/state of MN to pay for a new stadium. If not, they may move the team to LA. A major economic booster for the city, the Vikings leaving could hurt them.

So, as much as the left hates rich people, we have the Minnesota Vikings, owned by rich people, a team played and coached by millionaires, demanding ordinary people of Minny pay for their new sandbox???

This happens all around the NFL, with teams owned by billionaires, played by millionaires, demanding "99%ers" pay for their stadiums.

Why isn't the left protesting and demonizing the NFL?:eusa_whistle:

Currently, the Minnesota Vikings are trying to force the people of the city/state of MN to pay for a new stadium. If not, they may move the team to LA. A major economic booster for the city, the Vikings leaving could hurt them.

So, as much as the left hates rich people, we have the Minnesota Vikings, owned by rich people, a team played and coached by millionaires, demanding ordinary people of Minny pay for their new sandbox???

This happens all around the NFL, with teams owned by billionaires, played by millionaires, demanding "99%ers" pay for their stadiums.

Not following your logic..

How, in your convoluted mind, does this become a left/right issue?

Imagine if rich Bank of America CEO's were forcing the local taxpayers to pay for a new skyscraper for them to work in, with the threat of moving out of the city???

Now. Why isn't the left protesting NFL teams doing this?

You need information to prove that some liberals are opposed to municipally-financed stadium deals?

Really?

I dont see them outside stadiums protesting. If Bank of America was forcing locals to pay for a new high-rise, Occupiers would be throwing maltov cocktails at it.

But Minnesota liberal 99%'ers aren't raising hell that a bunch of rich sports folks are forcing them to pay for a new playbox.

Imagine if rich Bank of America CEO's were forcing the local taxpayers to pay for a new skyscraper for them to work in, with the threat of moving out of the city???

Now. Why isn't the left protesting NFL teams doing this?

It happens all the time. Rich corporations demand tax breaks and subsidies or they will move out of state. The NFL is no different.

What does this have to do with the left?

You need information to prove that some liberals are opposed to municipally-financed stadium deals?

Really?

I dont see them outside stadiums protesting.

Once the stadium's built it's a bit late to protest, no? In some cities opposition to municipal financing of stadiums has prevented development. In others, it has forced the team to finance it themselves. In still others, the city caves.

It's almost as if some liberals wrote a book in opposition to these deals or something, many years ago! Field of Schemes

While I do tend to notice that the NFL projects to build stadiums cross party lines quite a bit and have more to do with people who love the sport and less to do with one's polictial beliefs, I have long been of the opinion that if the taxpayer is on the hook for any part of an NFL teams new stadium then that city and it's taxpayers should hold ownership at the very least or the team that seeks money from those taxpayers, should make a contract with the local community that leaving is not an option. If a team be it Minn. or even the Arizona Cardinals use this " hostage" technique to get a new facility then as far as I am concerned don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out. As for moving to LA. if the Vikings decide to do so, don't think for a moment that's going to be some sort of green pasture for them based on the history of apathy towards the 2 other NFL teams that have left there. The Vikings would be better off if that were the case moving to San Antonio, at least there you have a stadium and people who want them.

Fine...goodbye.

They are trying blackmail here in San Diego too. Adios.

We're kind of busy dealing with all the other infinite, bottomless pit of assaults on freedom and decency by Republican 1%ers.

Help me figure this out, Bucs. Do you believe the city should finance MSP's stadium?

Yeah. An NFL franchise is a huge economic boom to a city, as well as a recreational joy to locals to have a team to watch. Plus the chance to maybe host a Super Bowl, which is a massive economic boom.

The current free market has other cities, like LA and others, wanting a team. If a team like Minny or Jax wants to move, their current city should do what it must to keep them, if they want them to stay.

So, Minny is the latest city to be held hostage by an NFL team threatening to leave. They'll likely pay for a new stadium and keep them.

Will the left protest or even riot at the idea of a billionaire owner, with millionaire employees, forcing the 99% locals to pay for their new office building???

Ok then. Liberals have confirmed the logical similarities. I've seen protests outside Bank of America, vandalism to buildings of other big rich companies.

Why did they leave out this one? Shouldnt they hate these rich people just as much?

Help me figure this out, Bucs. Do you believe the city should finance MSP's stadium?

Yeah. An NFL franchise is a huge economic boom to a city, as well as a recreational joy to locals to have a team to watch. Plus the chance to maybe host a Super Bowl, which is a massive economic boom.

Well OK then. Remind me never to confuse you with a believer in capitalism. You know some of the most storied parks and some of the nicest new parks were built without a dime of municipal money, right? The only reason owners go asking for it is because they know some suckers will pay it. If municipalities just gave a collective "go screw", we'd all be better off and teams would be more inclined to stay put.

The current free market has other cities, like LA and others, wanting a team. If a team like Minny or Jax wants to move, their current city should do what it must to keep them, if they want them to stay.

Why? Minneapolis would never win a bidding war with LA.

Ok then. Liberals have confirmed the logical similarities. I've seen protests outside Bank of America, vandalism to buildings of other big rich companies.

Why did they leave out this one? Shouldnt they hate these rich people just as much?

I hate Bill Bidwell more than you could ever know. Second only to Art Modell.

Feel better now?

Well OK then. Remind me never to confuse you with a believer in capitalism. You know some of the most storied parks and some of the nicest new parks were built without a dime of municipal money, right? The only reason owners go asking for it is because they know some suckers will pay it. If municipalities just gave a collective "go screw", we'd all be better off and teams would be more inclined to stay put.

Why? Minneapolis would never win a bidding war with LA.

?????

What makes you think I dont believe in capitalism? If the Vikings wanna leave MN, they are free to tell the govt there "We're leaving. But a new stadium would make us think twice. Get back to us."

Thats the ultimate free market. If LA will build them one, and MN wont, bye bye.

Just dont know why the NFL offices haven't been protested by liberals who are pissed that rich people would force them to pay for their big new shiny offices.

Liberals don't hate rich people....we just believe they should not get as many perks and contribute more to society

If Minnesota wants to keep the Vikings....build a new stadium
If not.....then don't whine when they leave

It's a free country

Forum List

Back