Why aren't food prices dropping like oil & gasoline?

Obama hasn't lowered the prices yet. I'm not sure what he's waiting for.

He can't increase food production like he increased US oil production ... ?

Filling up for almost 25% less at the pump but food prices remain high. What gives

A couple of things- listened to a farmer being interviewed about it- first of all most of the food on the shelves now was produced when gas prices were higher.

Secondly- there are issues like a pig disease which are reducing supply, while demand keeps increasing.

China buying pig slaughterhouses is no help either.

And - some food prices will increase if we don't have cheap illegal labor in fields and slaughterhouses.

And more family farms will go under. Big business will continue buying them up for pennies on the dollar and the consumer will pay more.

Oh that's an easy one. Republicans scared off migrant workers. But don't worry, it will get worse. They really fucked us this time.

U.S. Farmers Urge Changes to Immigration Law Amid Labor Shortage TIME.com

If I were queen----I would be working on increasing food production and ----making the prices low-----by any means available. I am horrified at the supermarket-------not for me-----I am old and no kids at home------I have no idea how mothers of several children manage -------good thing that there are food stamps

The food at the stores has already been transported.
????

If your cereal cost $1 to deliver to the store, a month ago, why would the price fall if new cereal only cost $0.75 to deliver next week?
Because it should. Grocers claimed the high prices were due to fuel costs so naturally when those prices drop the cost of the products they purchase have less overhead attached to them. Hence the cost to the consumer should also drop.

They already paid their supplier for their stock, they are not going to get a refund. Prices drop gradually, and they usually also rise gradually, however since rising prices are bad we tend to notice that quicker than prices going down.
I don't think you realize how fast "stock" gets replaced.
I bough eggs & bacon on my last trip & their prices are still the same or higher. Near 6 to 7 dollars for one package of bacon. That is double what I was paying before the gas prices shot up to near 4 bucks a gallon

And how fast did the cost go up? again, we remember the bad far more than the good.

If your cereal cost $1 to deliver to the store, a month ago, why would the price fall if new cereal only cost $0.75 to deliver next week?
Because it should. Grocers claimed the high prices were due to fuel costs so naturally when those prices drop the cost of the products they purchase have less overhead attached to them. Hence the cost to the consumer should also drop.

They already paid their supplier for their stock, they are not going to get a refund. Prices drop gradually, and they usually also rise gradually, however since rising prices are bad we tend to notice that quicker than prices going down.
I don't think you realize how fast "stock" gets replaced.
I bough eggs & bacon on my last trip & their prices are still the same or higher. Near 6 to 7 dollars for one package of bacon. That is double what I was paying before the gas prices shot up to near 4 bucks a gallon

And how fast did the cost go up? again, we remember the bad far more than the good.

the cost of food is not simply the cost of shipping it around----
the cost of production is significant---and it takes ENERGY of the fossil fuel type. Food prices are leaping up over the past 10 years

Filling up for almost 25% less at the pump but food prices remain high. What gives

A couple of things- listened to a farmer being interviewed about it- first of all most of the food on the shelves now was produced when gas prices were higher.

Secondly- there are issues like a pig disease which are reducing supply, while demand keeps increasing.

And - some food prices will increase if we don't have cheap illegal labor in fields and slaughterhouses.

And more family farms will go under. Big business will continue buying them up for pennies on the dollar and the consumer will pay more.

How did he increase US oil production? Be as specific as you can.

The straight forward answer is that the price of gasoline at your gas station is strongly influenced by the published market price of oil, and the price of food is more weakly influenced by the published market price of oil. A large percentage of the costs of an oil-to-gasoline refinery is the price of the feedstock,which is the number you are looking at. Food on the market shelf has food processing costs embedded in the price, not just the transportation cost.

There is also a time delay factor. There is an immediate supply cost step from refinery to gas pump. Food distribution will work more slowly.

Disclaimer; None of this should be construed as an excuse for market monopolies to butt fuck their customers. Namely, the airline oligopolies.

How did he increase US oil production? Be as specific as you can.

sure he can------have the cows get married, ----the goats and ----boy goats (is that rams?) and let the pigs do their piggy thing whether they want to marry or not-------and plant lots of seeds -------IT CAN BE DONE

The price of diesel has not dropped by much and since most trucks USE diesel you will not see a decrease.

its not just trucks------it's even electricity-------milk cows need night lights so they can keep up with their reading----and chickens need lights time to make their eggs form

bacon is the most consumed meat of the piggy...

The price of diesel has not dropped by much and since most trucks USE diesel you will not see a decrease.

its not just trucks------it's even electricity-------milk cows need night lights so they can keep up with their reading----and chickens need lights time to make their eggs form
I prefer the Easter chicken eggs...

Why would they?
Because A LOT of the cost is the transportation of the product.

The food at the stores has already been transported.
Exactly.
Once the next batches of food can be shipped and all other aspects of production feel the effects of lower energy overhead the prices will compete to a lower level. It's more immediate with oil because the price drop is immediate. With consumer goods the effect has to ripple.

Oh that's an easy one. Republicans scared off migrant workers. But don't worry, it will get worse. They really fucked us this time.

U.S. Farmers Urge Changes to Immigration Law Amid Labor Shortage TIME.com

If I were queen----I would be working on increasing food production and ----making the prices low-----by any means available. I am horrified at the supermarket-------not for me-----I am old and no kids at home------I have no idea how mothers of several children manage -------good thing that there are food stamps

Food production is not the problem.

bacon is the most consumed meat of the piggy...

And heart diseases is still our biggest killer.

A coincidence?

Forum List

Back