Why are we in the UN?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Zhukov, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    There are 191 member states of the United Nations, with more than half of them run by dictators. Libya heads the Human Rights Commision and Syria is on the Security Council.

What is the point of remaining in the United Nations? Is it even morally right to remain? Why do so many on the left demand deference to the UN? Is it time to look beyond the UN and establish a Union of Democratic States?

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

Excellent questions. I'd like to hear some U.N.tards defend their cherished organization.

Anyone?

3. Scourge

Scourge Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you can talk about morals, and who you think deserves to be i the U.N. but we sponsor enough terrorism abroad to be held accountable to our OWN war on terror.
    Plus, acting as we see fit is just taking the law into our own hands. Which is great if it's you who is doing it (because you KNOW you're right) but not so fun if it's your neighbors, or God forbid your enemies. If we were a tiny country with a tiny army I don't think unilateral action would sem so cool. And what's fair for the strong should be fair for the weak. Meaning, we should all abide by international law no matter how many military juggernauts threaten to invade us. lol. Anyhow, there are provisions for defending your country, we just never met any of those (it's hard if no country wants to attack you).

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    All countries strive to protect their interest as best they can. Name one that doesn't. From that fairer perspective, we're no worse. Would you consider your attitude anti-american?