why are we afriad of the draft?

Mainframe said:
interesting.. i hadn't seen that.

link? is that reputable?

and republicans... what do you say about that? besides just skipping over to Bush's service and passing the rest off?

Of course it's true...I dont spread lies..I'm a republican ;)

The others? I didn't read them all - but it's irrelevant because they 'are' serving...Civil Service 'counts' in my book. I know many people who have put 20 or 30 or more years into working for the People of this country...

MrMarbles said:
A lot of big talkers here. If you guys aren't afraid and believe in this cause, why aren't you there? Why not head over and do the "American thing", and spread freedom? Come on, wussy's!

[edit]

Actually - there are a large number of us who have serve, or who are serving...What have YOU done for your 'freedoms'?

-Cp said:
I think folks are "afraid" of it because it might require thier Oprahfied, wussified asses to go out and make a difference. I really don't think that most libs are truely patriotic to this country...

emphasis added

-jimnyc said:
I suggest you refrain from calling all the members who posted here 'wussy's'. You're starting to appear more and more as nothing but a troll.

Calling libs in general wussified would apply to board members as much as marbles calling posters on this particlular thread wussy's. Where is the difference?

(not attacking just inquisitive)

deaddude said:
emphasis added

Calling libs in general wussified would apply to board members as much as marbles calling posters on this particlular thread wussy's. Where is the difference?

(not attacking just inquisitive)

...it's easy. Marbles was making a stupid statement about which he did not understand. He was specifically calling out, or naming some of those who have replied (Decorated Veterans, Diabled Veterans, etc, of our armed forces) 'wussies'. -Cp was making an editorial about Liberals in 'general' he didn't specify or implicate anyone - those who would complain about serving. :)

-=d=- said:

LOL

The others? I didn't read them all - but it's irrelevant because they 'are' serving...Civil Service 'counts' in my book. I know many people who have put 20 or 30 or more years into working for the People of this country...

debateable. only on the fact that some people may think that you should have first hand experience on something your help calling the shots on.

-Cp said:
I think folks are "afraid" of it because it might require thier Oprahfied, wussified asses to go out and make a difference. I really don't think that most libs are truely patriotic to this country...

Im not unpatrictic, Im not pro war!!!

The common misnomer is that liberals are unpatriotic, meaning lack of love for one's country. While some elements along the lines of mickey moore and crew are truly unpatriotic, most liberals do indeed love this country. While they may not always realize it, they enjoy their freedoms to express themselves in many different ways through art, music, etc. Not many countries in the world allow this kind of personal freedom.

However, they do get confused when they mistake freedoms for rights. Freedoms are something that isnt given, its fought for. ITs usually not by the individual enjoying them but by the soldier dieing at home or abroad to protect them.

While liberals may be ignorant to the freedoms they enjoy in this country and take them for granted, most do love this country and wouldnt give up those freedoms if push came to shove. Its just that you have to push a liberal really hard before they shove back to defend this country.

-=d=- said:

This is by definition representational of those who have put themselves in harms way in military service. I agree with you that civil service is "serving" but the sacrifices and peril that are experienced by those in the military are on a whole different level. Thats why I might support a program that provides incentives to serve our country in a variety of ways. Our civil servants in Wash DC are really well compensated for what they do. Did you notice the comment by Kerry in the debate "I want every American to be able to buy into the same healthcare program that we give our members of Congress" Buy and give are the key words here....the members of congress DO NOT PAY FOR THEIR HEALTH CARE COVERAGE and they have a real real good retirement plan too.

Mainframe said:
debateable. only on the fact that some people may think that you should have first hand experience on something your help calling the shots on.

It's only debateable by those who haven't served...if they haven't served their country in some capacity, their opinion is not valid; more correctly, their opinion of what is, or is not service is invalid.

Have 'you' worked for your country?

I think the composition and wording of Sagegirl's list is a little deceptive, so I'll rehash some of it:

GHW Bush: Pilot WWII Shot down[twice] by Japanese.
[58 combat missions*, some over Wake Island. He was the youngest pilot in the Navy in WWII. Medals include The Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals, and the Presidential Unit Citation Award.]
Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy 1954-57 as aviator and flight instructor
GEORGE W BUSH: six year [AIR] Nat'l Guard commitment (incomplete[WRONG! He finished ahead of time])
Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served in a non combat role making movies [nothing gets a liberal going like mentioning a person's disabilities, especially when it lets you ignore the fact that reagan was a liberal entertainer during WWII. Perhaps I should say something trite about Roosevelt.]
Gerald Ford: Navy, WWII
John McCain: Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross
Bob Dole:an honorable veteran[who Democrats trashed to no end in his 1996 presidential campaign.]
Chuck Hagel: Two purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam
Jeff Sessions: Army Reserves 1973-1986
Tom Ridge: Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam

*I think the maximum number of combat missions most air crews served in World War II was something like 25.

You forgot Colin Powell and Richard Armitage. And if we're going back to world war two, you forgot Dwight Eisenhower. That's probably just a start.

But as long as we're posting from AZcentral:
A wing and a prayer

By E.J. Perkins
azcentral.com

Considerable ink has been expended in the news media about how the war in Iraq is being run by a cabal of administration officials who possess zero combat experience. The implication is that these so-called "chicken hawks" have created a Babylonian quagmire because they're clueless about the grim realities of war.

Like other election year contretemps, this argument too is overly simplistic and, as usual, devoid of historical perspective. To be sure, few Americans dispute the desirability of having political leaders with combat-tested military credentials. Presidential hopeful John Kerry is counting on it.

Yet, one only has to recall that one of the nation's greatest "war president," Franklin D. Roosevelt, never served a day in the armed forces.

We've compiled a side-by-side listing of prominent politicians and their military service histories, including a comparison of the Democratic and Republican tickets. Since the makeup of a potential Kerry White House is unknown, we go back a generation and compare the Clinton administration to the current one. More randomly selected, we compare some big-name politicians on both sides of the aisle.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/articles/sidebyside-military.html

Check out the list at the end of the article.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
sagegirl said:
This is by definition representational of those who have put themselves in harms way in military service. I agree with you that civil service is "serving" but the sacrifices and peril that are experienced by those in the military are on a whole different level. Thats why I might support a program that provides incentives to serve our country in a variety of ways. Our civil servants in Wash DC are really well compensated for what they do. Did you notice the comment by Kerry in the debate "I want every American to be able to buy into the same healthcare program that we give our members of Congress" Buy and give are the key words here....the members of congress DO NOT PAY FOR THEIR HEALTH CARE COVERAGE and they have a real real good retirement plan too.

how can you tell me I'm well-compensated...I'm not a congressman; but I'm a civil servant. Not every civil servant is equally compensated, and yes - some DO live and serve in harm's way. By and large the same level of job outside of government pays substantially MORE than the corresponding gov't position.

Want a job w/ the gubbment? I've seen them asking for MASTERS degrees for jobs paying less than $20/hr...

I enjoy my work...I get a sense of pride and fullfillment from working to improve the way fort lewis does business. After a few more years, I could likely find a 30% increase in pay from an outside source. I won't however...because I love what I do, and who I do it for.

-=d=- said:
It's only debateable by those who haven't served...if they haven't served their country in some capacity, their opinion is not valid; more correctly, their opinion of what is, or is not service is invalid.

Have 'you' worked for your country?

You cant be serious!!!! I'd rather be put in jail then go to war. Im against war and I think it's primative that we still have to use violence to get what we want. I do serve my country. I work, which helps out the economy. I volunteer as well which helps out my fellow Americans. You sound like your uneducated. :asshole: :asshole: :asshole: Any one who is pro war, needs to rethink things!! You can support our troops without supporting the war.

lolita715 said:
You cant be serious!!!! I'd rather be put in jail then go to war. Im against war and I think it's primative that we still have to use violence to get what we want. I do serve my country. I work, which helps out the economy. I volunteer as well which helps out my fellow Americans. You sound like your uneducated. :asshole: :asshole: :asshole: Any one who is pro war, needs to rethink things!! You can support our troops without supporting the war.

Making some good frineds already lolita715???? No need to go that far!

sagegirl said:
I have a problem with the draft for military only, let everybody put in a couple of years for their country in a variety of ways. Just fyi, if you care
This is a list of leading Rep and their service in the military
I've got a list of leading Dems too, if you care
Dennis Hastert: did not serve
Tom Delay: did not serve
Roy Blunt: did not serve
Rudy Giuilani: did not serve
George Pataki: did not serve
Mitch McConnell:did not serve
Rick Santorum:did not serve
Trent Lott:did not serve
DICK CHENEY:DID NOT SERVE several defements, the last by marriage
John Ashcroft:did not serve several defements to teach business
Jeb Bush: did not serve
Karl Rove: did not serve
Paul Wolfowitz:did not serve
Vin Weber:did not serve
Richard Perle: did not serve
Richard Shelby: did not serve
Newt Gingrich:did not serve
Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy 1954-57 as aviator and flight instructor
GEORGE W BUSH: six year Nat'l Guard commitment (incomplete)
Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served in a non combat role making movies
Gerald Ford: Navy, WWII
Phil Gramm: did not serve
John McCain: Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross
Bob Dole:an honorable veteran
Chuck Hagel: Two purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam
Jeff Sessions: Army Reserves 1973-1986
GHW Bush: Pilot WWII Shot down by Japanese
Tom Ridge: Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam
Antonin Scalia: did not serve
Clarence Thomas: did not serve

Didn't Bob Dole get a Purple Heart?

Sir Evil said:
Hmmm, and you can thank the vets for allowing you to have the opportunities you have now as well as speaking out freely with the dribble you just posted!:rolleyes:

So if everyone is so pro war, im sure you all are in the armed forces right???? I have rights because I live in a democracy!!!

Sir Evil said:
that's a big negative! I am not and have not served although I proudly would if called upon! To call someone an asshole becuase they support the vets or a particular war is just ignorant!

And even more wrong!!! you have rights because of those who served to protect them very rights for you! wake up!!!
The person I was posting to was saying if you have not been in the war you have no say, well then i guess the majority of the people in this country have no say!! Im not ignorant, war is not a good thing. And of course you would go to war if you were called upon you have to!!!!!!!!!!

lolita715 said:
I have rights because I live in a democracy!!!
yes you do young lady, and you can thank us, our fathers and grandfathers because you live in this fine democracy.

so why do people who are pro war need to rethink things? becasue we want to protect our way of life?

Johnney said:
yes you do young lady, and you can thank us, our fathers and grandfathers because you live in this fine democracy.

so why do people who are pro war need to rethink things? becasue we want to protect our way of life?

You mean we want to over power everyother nation???? Im sorry I m not pro war and you all would jump for the chance to fight in it, but then why are you not there????

Forum List

Back