Why are there so many lobbiest if they have no influence?

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Some people say that lobbyist or donations does not mean that they have more influence than someone else. Or that is not proof of kick backs etc. So why or how are companies justifying spending huge amounts of money on lobbyist if they get nothing back ?

More importantly, how is all these lobbyist good for people who dont have lobbyist? I.E. you and me?

Some people say that lobbyist or donations does not mean that they have more influence than someone else. Or that is not proof of kick backs etc. So why or how are companies justifying spending huge amounts of money on lobbyist if they get nothing back ?

More importantly, how is all these lobbyist good for people who dont have lobbyist? I.E. you and me?

If you donate your money to Greenpeace or the NRA, then you have a lobbyist.

If you belong to a union, then you have an army of lobbyists.

Last edited:

Didn't you hear, Obama did away with all lobbyist and refused to Hire any in his Admin.

Oh wait, nm that turned out to be Pure Horse shit like everything else the man told us.

It begs the question who really runs Washington. Because those are just three but there are thousands of others who run around and job it is to influence pols. I heard that the banks put in 2 billion towards lobbying and they got bailed out. Pretty good investment...How true, I figure you'd know that.

Oh and if you want to scream Obama and run...this is the wrong thread both parties have lobbyist and I cant see a good reason for any of it. Except the ones that people donate too...not even too sure on that

Average Citizens need money to have the ears of their congressman or senator. That doesnt bode well for the citizens of the country.

It begs the question who really runs Washington. Because those are just three but there are thousands of others who run around and job it is to influence pols. I heard that the banks put in 2 billion towards lobbying and they got bailed out. Pretty good investment...How true, I figure you'd know that.

Oh and if you want to scream Obama and run...this is the wrong thread both parties have lobbyist and I cant see a good reason for any of it. Except the ones that people donate too...not even too sure on that

No -- it actually begs the question of why is Washington giving away so many goodies and taking the power to pick winners and losers in the marketplace...

Which came first --- wind lobbyists or wind subsidies? Doesn't matter. Get rid of subsidies and NO ONE needs to have lobbyists for ECONOMIC interests. Now political interests like NARAL, NRA, the unions, AARP, trial lawyers, etc --- THAT's a different story..

Trust me -- IBM, GE, Microsoft don't WANT to be in Washington if the candy and the meddling power goes away... Basic bear avoidance techniques.. Hang the food higher..

Forum List

Back