Why are the Republicans against fuel conservation?

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
When Bush was asked by a reporter if Americans should conserve gas, he wouldn't even say the word.

He is afraid if demand for gasoline goes down, Dick Cheney's Haliburton stock will lose value.

It is time for fuel effiicency standards on cars.

When Bush was asked by a reporter if Americans should conserve gas, he wouldn't even say the word.

He is afraid if demand for gasoline goes down, Dick Cheney's Haliburton stock will lose value.

So because Bush didn't say exactly what you thought he should have said, that means all Republicans are against fuel conservation? Wanna know how I conserve? I don't make unnecessary trips in to Milwaukee (about 50 miles away) just for the hell of it anymore. I hit the grocery store on my way to or from work now, rather than a seperate trip. My car only gets a whopping 21/30.. Hardly fuel efficient.. But if you want to tell me what the hell I SHOULD be driving, you can damned well make those payment for me, too.

You want fuel efficiency standards on a car, buy a fuel efficient car. It's not up to you to tell everyone else what they should be buying, driving, or even saying.

So because Bush didn't say exactly what you thought he should have said, that means all Republicans are against fuel conservation? Wanna know how I conserve? I don't make unnecessary trips in to Milwaukee (about 50 miles away) just for the hell of it anymore. I hit the grocery store on my way to or from work now, rather than a seperate trip. My car only gets a whopping 21/30.. Hardly fuel efficient.. But if you want to tell me what the hell I SHOULD be driving, you can damned well make those payment for me, too.

You want fuel efficiency standards on a car, buy a fuel efficient car. It's not up to you to tell everyone else what they should be buying, driving, or even saying.

I absolutely agree. If there were a car right now that got 45 mpg and didn't look as gay as the Prius, I'd buy one. I wouldn't even care if it came from China, as long as I could get the parts for maintenance.

Conserving because you think it is the right thing to do is a bit different than conserving because your trips to Milwaukee are hurting your purse.

:eusa_whistle:

Kirk, didn't Bush once claim that we had a God given right to drive SUVs or something along those lines?

What in tarnation are you referring to? No links, no nothing.

Conserving because you think it is the right thing to do is a bit different than conserving because your trips to Milwaukee are hurting your purse.

:eusa_whistle:

Kirk, didn't Bush once claim that we had a God given right to drive SUVs or something along those lines?

Get back under your rock, woman.

I absolutely agree. If there were a car right now that got 45 mpg and didn't look as gay as the Prius, I'd buy one. I wouldn't even care if it came from China, as long as I could get the parts for maintenance.

Even the Prius looks better than this:
tinytoyota.jpg

And..until they start making fuel efficient cars safer than a carboard box on wheels...

Can you imagine getting hit in that thing?

My civic is only semi poofy, not that I actually care what other people think. Getting 45 - 50 mpg works for me.

Why are the Republicans against fuel conservation?

When Bush was......

Dick Cheney's Haliburton........

oh kirk! :eusa_liar:

"In recent days I have set before the American people an energy plan, The Lexington Project -- named for the town where Americans asserted their independence once before. And let it begin today with this commitment: In a world of hostile and unstable suppliers of oil, this nation will achieve strategic independence by 2025."
John McCain, June 25, 2008

Read the entire speech...

John McCain 2008 - John McCain for President

Climate Change

John McCain will establish a market-based system to curb greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, mobilize innovative technologies, and strengthen the economy. He will work with our international partners to secure our energy future, to create opportunities for American industry, and to leave a better future for our children.

John McCain's Cap and Trade Policy

John McCain Proposes A Cap-And-Trade System That Would Set Limits On Greenhouse Gas Emissions While Encouraging The Development Of Low-Cost Compliance Options. A climate cap-and-trade mechanism would set a limit on greenhouse gas emissions and allow entities to buy and sell rights to emit, similar to the successful acid rain trading program of the early 1990s. The key feature of this mechanism is that it allows the market to decide and encourage the lowest-cost compliance options.

John McCain 2008 - John McCain for President

Last edited:
John McCain's Clean Car Challenge. John McCain will issue a Clean Car Challenge to the automakers of America, in the form of a single and substantial tax credit for the consumer based on the reduction of carbon emissions. He will commit a $5,000 tax credit for each and every customer who buys a zero carbon emission t car, encouraging automakers to be first on the market with these cars in order to capitalize on the consumer incentives. For other vehicles, a graduated tax credit will apply so that the lower the carbon emissions, the higher the tax credit.

John McCain Will Propose A $300 Million Prize To Improve Battery Technology For Full Commercial Development Of Plug-In Hybrid And Fully Electric Automobiles. A $300 million prize should be awarded for the development of a battery package that has the size, capacity, cost and power to leapfrog the commercially available plug-in hybrids or electric cars. That battery should deliver a power source at 30 percent of the current costs. At $300 million, the prize is one dollar for every man, woman and child in this country - and a small price to pay for breaking our dependence on oil.

John McCain Supports Flex-Fuel Vehicles (FFVs) And Believes They Should Play A Greater Role In Our Transportation Sector. In just three years, Brazil went from new cars sales that were about 5 percent FFVs to over 70 percent of new vehicles that were FFVs. American automakers have committed to make 50 percent of their cars FFVs by 2012. John McCain calls on automakers to make a more rapid and complete switch to FFVs.

John McCain Believes Alcohol-Based Fuels Hold Great Promise As Both An Alternative To Gasoline And As A Means of Expanding Consumers' Choices. Some choices such as ethanol are on the market right now. The second generation of alcohol-based fuels like cellulosic ethanol, which won't compete with food crops, are showing great potential.

Today, Isolationist Tariffs And Wasteful Special Interest Subsidies Are Not Moving Us Toward An Energy Solution. We need to level the playing field and eliminate mandates, subsidies, tariffs and price supports that focus exclusively on corn-based ethanol and prevent the development of market-based solutions which would provide us with better options for our fuel needs.

John McCain Will Effectively Enforce Existing CAFE Standards. John McCain has long supported CAFE standards - the mileage requirements that automobile manufacturers' cars must meet. Some carmakers ignore these standards, pay a small financial penalty, and add it to the price of their cars. John McCain believes that the penalties for not following these standards must be effective enough to compel all carmakers to produce fuel-efficient vehicles.

I haven't met a gay guy that couldn't talk a mile a minute. Haven't met a gay girl that talked my ear off.

Hmmm...I never really thought about that before now. Wonder what it means.

I said mouthy. Not talkative. Very different things.

I said mouthy. Not talkative. Very different things.

Main Entry:
mouthy Listen to the pronunciation of mouthy Listen to the pronunciation of mouthy
Pronunciation:
\ˈmau̇-thē, -thē\
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
mouth·i·er; mouth·i·est
Date:

1 : marked by bombast or back talk 2 : excessively talkative : garrulous

I haven't met a gay guy that couldn't talk a mile a minute. Haven't met a gay girl that talked my ear off.

Hmmm...I never really thought about that before now. Wonder what it means.

It means your fantasies about me are growing more intense, sweet cheeks.

:D

Main Entry:
mouthy Listen to the pronunciation of mouthy Listen to the pronunciation of mouthy
Pronunciation:
\ˈmau̇-thē, -thē\
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
mouth·i·er; mouth·i·est
Date:

1 : marked by bombast or back talk 2 : excessively talkative : garrulous

:rolleyes: That sure makes you look smart. Really.

Forum List

Back