Why are the 10 commandments so bad to display?

Originally posted by Zhukov
Majority rule with respect to Congress, the lawmaking bodies of our country and states.
Okay, but one must even admit in regards to the Congress, that the majority does not always rule.... The president can veto, the minority party can filibuster and the judicial branch can override the Congress. As you know, it is much more complicated than "majority rules".

But perhaps I am being to argumentative.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
But perhaps I am being to argumentative.

That's what we're here for.

Okay, but one must even admit in regards to the Congress, that the majority does not always rule.... The president can veto

The President is elected by the majority of electoral votes.

the minority party can filibuster

Then one requires a super-majority

and the judicial branch can override the Congress.

A judicial branch composed of members appointed by Presidents and approved by Congress.

As you know, it is much more complicated than "majority rules".

Obviously, but it is the general idea.

I understand what you are getting at. But to be clear then, you and I do agree that the founding fathers never intended on the masses being able to decide. So in that sense, it is not a majority rules system. It is a minority that decides for the majority.

The majority in 'majority rules' refers to the dominant preference, not specifically the most number of people.

Obviously we select people to represent us, but amongst these representatives the majority rules. All the representatives don't constitute a minority (though I see what you mean by it), they are just representatives. It's who, or more properly what idea, has the majority of representatives.

Just a simple "50% + 1" idea. That's all I'm saying.

I'm sure we agree, there was just a misunderstanding somewhere.

And yes, they deliberately wanted there to be distance between the people and those governing. The trick was to find the right balance. I'd say they did a swell job.

It is a majority rules system, as I said, with specific protections for the minority. The filibuster is a rule in the Senate that gives the minority an opportunity to force compromise on bills, there is, a provision called a Vote of Cloture - it takes 60 Senators to get one and once you do you can close off debate and end filibusters. That's the entire basis for a Representative Democracy or Republic form of government. I agree the Electoral college deviates from this somewhat.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I agree the Electoral college deviates from this somewhat

But it really doesn't. The electoral college is just a popular vote modified to take into account the fact that each state in our Union is a semi-sovereign entity. We vote by states. In each individual state the popular vote rules apply as normal. You, and everyone else in your state, votes to decide how the state will vote. That's all.

Originally posted by Zhukov
But it really doesn't. The electoral college is just a popular vote modified to take into account the fact that each state in our Union is a semi-sovereign entity. We vote by states. In each individual state the popular vote rules apply as normal. You, and everyone else in your state, votes to decide how the state will vote. That's all.
But remember, the electors from each state DON"T HAVE to vote the way their state voted..... Traditionally they do, but they don't have to (well, from what I understand, some states do require the electors to vote the way of the people, but I know that in most, they don't have to).

It has been an interesting discussion though! Thanks!

Forum List

Back